Go Bottom Go Bottom

Folding ROPS doesn 039t

View my Photos
Dave Worrall
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-03-06          25104

I just took delivery of my TC40D. I want to thank all of you who took the time to share your thoughts with me. But to the ROPS issue... I was hoping that the 95 inch high ROPS would make it into my 8 foot high garage door. But it just doesn't quite do it. So I took advantage of the folding ROPS, only to find that it doesn't work very well. I got it down ok, but putting it back was impossible. The alignment of the two pieces were nearly close enough to allow it to work. The dealer sent out someone to pound on it... I wonder what that does to the strength of the ROPS? With that repair, I can get it up but the mechanic has suggested that it be returned to the dealer's shop for further work (pounding?). Apparently, the same problem exists on most of the Boomer sitting on the dealer's lot. How have your experiences been? By the way, I have not encountered the low engine temperature note on this board. I'll check to see if the second valve has been installed in the cooling drain system. Dave

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Folding ROPS doesn 039t

View my Photos
Donald

2001-03-06          25109

The ROPS on my 29D works great. Be glad you at least have a dealer who sends someone out. The only way my dealer will send someone out is to charge $90.00 an hour starting from the time they leave the shop till they return, plus $1.25 a mile. I live about 50 miles away. They gladly mail me the parts I need & that only takes 2 weeks. I count myself lucky to get that much. ....

Folding ROPS doesn 039t

View my Photos
Mail Man

2001-03-06          25111

Donald, sounds like you bought your boomer from the same dealer who used me, I mean I used (Chattanooga?). In january I ordered a safety switch I had to have, she told me it would be here in 3/4 days. After 5 days I called & she was so sorry, she thinks someone told her I didn't need the part anymore???? I told her my tractor was parked, waiting on the part! 8 days later it got here. I've called for other problems & get the impression they could care less.
By the way Dave, my rops works great.

Folding ROPS doesn 039t

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-03-06          25115

When I got my TC29, the ROPS was difficult to fold and unfold. This was hard on my already ailing back because I would be in odd positions when lowering and raising it; I have to lower it to get in my shed. I loosened the pivot bolts a little bit and it works fine. Wouldn't take kindly to somebody hammering on my tractor.

By the way, my dealer has been great, Kines Motor Sales in Philippi, WV. Just a small tractor dealer with a Ford auto dealership. Had to pay a little more than what I've seen on this list, but has been worth it. Too bad they're 90 minutes away.

Bill Mullens ....

Folding ROPS doesn 039t

View my Photos
Michigander

2001-03-06          25117

As far as I'm concerned my TC40D doesn't have foldable ROPS. The pins are so tight I would need to use a Ford tool to get them our. Fortunately my door is high enough that I don't need to fuss with it. I did mention it to the dealer and they said the would drill the holes out a bit but I never bothered to have it done. BTW, My dealer here in Michigan has made two, no charge house calls. ....

Folding ROPS doesn 039t

View my Photos
Dave in New Hampshir

2001-03-06          25118

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I agree, there is no foldable ROPS on my TC40D. I've loosened the bolts. It doesn't help. There is just too much misalignment in the junctions. And the holes for the pins are too small. Even when I get the holes aligned on one side, the pins will not slide in without the help of a hammer. The dealer seems to provide good service. At least as long as it is warranty work, they will stop by or pick up the trailer. But I feel I paid for that, just to have a dealer nearby. Dave ....

Folding ROPS doesn 039t

View my Photos
Jeff B

2001-03-06          25122

Dave, I had the same problem on my TC33D when I took delivery. I was able to fix it by loosening all the bolts attaching the ROPS to the tractor, including the pinch bolts at the axle, levering it into better alignment with an 8 foot 2x4, and then torquing all the bolts back to spec while my wife held it straight with the afore mentioned 2x4. No pounding required. Its worked great ever since. -JeffB ....

Folding ROPS doesn 039t

View my Photos
gary mason

2001-03-07          25131

Michigander and all, My brand new tc35d was a little "sticky" but one good push has gotten back up just fine, the hole for the locking opins are a little off but not enough a good tap doesn't help.
One of the first thing I did after getting this ROPS was to intstall the hitch pins with a spring and washer. The pin has a handle on it so getting it out is a breeze. I would recommend this to all folding ROPS users.
I do have a question though, how do most people lower the ROPS? I have to get up on the 3pt arms and steady myself to reach the bar, and I'm 6'3". If it's sticky it's a little more of a challenge.
Jeff's idea does sound like a good thing to try.
gary ....

Folding ROPS doesn 039t

View my Photos
Robert Weiler

2001-03-07          25146

I've not had any trouble with my ROPS, but I have the same dealer problems as Mail Man & Donald. The only way they will help me is if I take it to them. Even then they act like they don't have a clue.
I love my Boomer & wouldn't trade it for anything, but I'd never buy another at the same dealer.
Robert ....

Folding ROPS doesn 039t

View my Photos
Dave in New Hampshir

2001-03-07          25168

Gary,
I think your hitch pin idea is a great one. I'm going to try that, if the dealer solves my problem. I'm suggesting Jeff B's 2x4 idea to the dealer... hopefully that will reduce the "pounding" on my ROPS. And in fact, the misalignment that I see is a twisting in the lower part of the ROPS which I suspect no pounding will help. As far as lowering and raising it, I stand on the platform with the seat between my knees. It's a long reach as the ROPS swings back, but each time I do it, I get more comfortable with it. I'm just over six feet tall.

Before this upcoming dealer repair, I can get one pin into place with a hammer. The other pin will not engage under any circumstance. My expectation is that a properly operating ROPS can be raised and lowered, both pins installed, without any tools. Should I have such expectations? Additionally, since I need the folding ROPS to make up just a few inches, I asked the dealer about altering this one, or trying something else. The dealer will do nothing, I suspect for liability protection, but he say he knows a local welder who has done such things. Has anybody altered their ROPS?
Dave ....

Folding ROPS doesn 039t

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-03-07          25171

Dave, I think it is a VERY reasonable expectation that the FROPS can be raised and lowered, and both pins inserted and removed, without any tools. This is either a case of poor manufacturing control, poor engineering design, or both. Sounds like a typical JD4000 series problem, except the FROPS works real well on those (at least so far on mine). Now let's see how responsive NH is to what seems to be a spate of reported Boomer problems lately. If you all remember, this is the scenario for which we bashed the living _ _ _ _ out of the Deere company over the past few years. ROPS and interlock switches are safety items and I think they should command pretty high priority. ....

Folding ROPS doesn 039t

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-03-08          25223

I'm not surprised that the pins don't line up well. Jeff seems to have the answer: loosen up the mounts and either shim or hold it in line while tightening it back down. Wouldn't surprise me if you get to do this several times during the life of the tractor, so you might as well get a feel for it now.
Nobody does things as nice as a concerned owner doing his own work for the second time ..... ....

Folding ROPS doesn 039t

View my Photos
Dave in New Hampshir

2001-03-09          25266

Yesterday, my dealer fixed the ROPS problem we've been discussing recently. They picked up the tractor in the morning and returned it in the afternoon. It seems to work just fine. Perhaps the extra I paid to this nearby dealer is paying off. On an topic, I have noticed that the bump in the bucket level rod rubs the hydrolic lines feeding the cylinder that holds the indicator bracket. Every bucket dumping operation causes the rub. I can't see how this could be good. So I decided to invert the indicator bracket, mounting the U bolt with the screws pointing down. This lowers the rod so that it does not rub. The U bolt screws get close to the cylinder, but there is clearance for all positions of the bucket. Anyone else spot this problem. Dave ....

Folding ROPS doesn 039t

View my Photos
gary mason

2001-03-09          25270

Dave, did they say what they did to your ROPS to fix it?
Could you have put a zip tie on the hose and pulled in a little back?
gary ....

Folding ROPS doesn 039t

View my Photos
Dave in New Hampshir

2001-03-09          25277

Gary: Ties would not work. There just wasn't enough extra hydrolic hose to move it anywhere, and nothing to tie to that would pull in the right direction. Have you had a similar problem? Did you solve it with ties? Regardng the ROPS, they repositioned the left lower side by making adjustments where it attaches to the frame. I still think that replacing the supplied pins with hitch pins is a good idea. As easily as the pins go in and out, I can always do it while wearing gloves. The hitch pin would solve that problem. Dave ....

Folding ROPS doesn 039t

View my Photos
Dave in New Hampshir

2001-03-09          25284

Follow up on the bucket level indicator... I was reading the 16LA manual, and sure enough, the buckel level indicator bracket is supposed to be on the bottom of the hydrolic cylinder. I don't know where in the manufacturing procedure, but as delivered my 16LA was improperly assembled. I'm glad I found it before the hoses were damaged, and even happier to learn that my solution is the design intend of NH. Dave ....

Folding ROPS doesn 039t

View my Photos
Jeff B

2001-03-22          25757

I stumbled across another useful replacement for the clevis pins and split rings used for the folding ROPS. Category 0 toplink pins. The length is about the same as the original pins and they have a good taper on the end to make them easy to insert. They have a knob on the head end that's easy to grab with gloves on and a hole in them big enough to accept a lynch pin, which is also easy to do with gloves. - JeffB ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login