Go Bottom Go Bottom

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
Diesel Dave
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-03-01          24836

This question is for all you owners of New Holland TC series tractors that live in the colder climate of this great country of ours. When I take my TC33D out to plow snow in temperatures of 20 degrees or lower the I.P fogs up so bad I can hardly read it. This only happens after I take it out of an unheated garage into the cold and the engine reaches normal operating temp. Does this happen to anyone else? I have seen a few postings on this problem but I haven't seen or heard of a cure. When I contacted my dealer he said he hasn't heard of anyone else having a problem. He then immediately ordered a new I.P for me to try. It was installed only to find out that it does the same thing! I then took it upon myself to take sealed bags of fiberglass insulation and pack them in the cavity behind the I.P hoping to stop the transfer of heat from the engine to the dash.This also did not work, it still gets fogged up and by now I'm getting a little steamed myself ! I am now looking for a rocket scientist to figure out how I can prevent this. Not really, just someone smarter than me which I'm pretty sure is 97% of the population. Thanks all for any input. Diesel Dave

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-03-01          24842

I have no solution. But my TC29 fogs, too. I just try to ignore it.

Bill Mullens
WV ....

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-03-01          24850

Dave, while I do not have a NH in the fleet, we do have the same problem with several of our compacts. First, the cause, when the machine heats up (summer or winter) the air in the instrument panel (IP) expands and some of the air in there gets forced out, when the machine later cools off the air condenses and outside humid air gets pulled in (the same process creates most of the 'water' in your fuel tank). When you first start your machine the humidity is there, but frozen, as the machine warms up it condenses on the lens of the IP because it is warming up but the outside air is cold. The solution, remove the IP, or at least get access to the rear of it, and carefully make a small hole or two with a drill, anybody who had an older Chrysler product is all too familiar with the process, anything with a 318 V8 had the same problem in the distributor and in wet weather they ran great cold or hot, but in between were a bear to keep running. Best of luck. ....

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
Diesel Dave

2001-03-01          24858

Murf, Thanks for the input.I don't know if water gets into the cavity behind the panel when I wash it but just in case it does I'll drill 2 small holes in the backside bottom of I.P and give it a shot. This wasn't a "work stopping" problem, just one that was very annoying and just gave me another reason to pray for spring to get here "soon"! Love the tractor and if thats the only problem I'm going to have with the it I'll be a happy camper, but I'm still going to pray for spring to get here early! Dave ....

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
Jeff B

2001-03-01          24880

I have the same problem with my TC33D. Like Bill I've basically ignored it. - JeffB ....

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
Mike S.

2001-03-01          24891

No insult intended here, but I wonder if JD and NH shared an engineer since many of the dash glasses of the earlier 4200+ tractors had dash glasses that also fogged up. I also wonder if it is possible to remove the glass and treat the inside surface with the antifogging chemical used for motorcycle helmet visors?? ....

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
Diesel Dave

2001-03-02          24900

Mike, That was the first thing I tried. I have a brother thats a real motorcycle enthusiast and he gave me some high dollar anti-fogging solution from a cycle shop.I dismantled the dash and put 3 coats of the solution on the inside of the clear shield and it didn't help a bit.I think they know they have a problem but still haven't done anything about it. I have seen owners of JD's and also the new TC35, TC40 and 45's on another site complain about it too. I believe Murf summed the problem up pretty well. I'll try his remedy which I hope will help. Like I said its not a major thing but it got so bad one real cold day that I couldn't even read the temp.and fuel gauge. Dave ....

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
Murf

2001-03-02          24914

The anti-fog treatment is a good idea, but only treats the 'symptoms' NOT the 'disease', the fogging is only, as was mentioned, only a nuisance, however the moisture WILL eventually cause corrosion in the IP, why wait till that happens. The fix is relatively easy, almost free, and permanent..... Best of luck. ....

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
Mike S.

2001-03-02          24941

Murf--eventually JD issued a PIP that permitted dealers to replace the fogging dash glasses with ones that do not fog. Since mine was replace six months ago, it has not fogged up since. There is no reason that NH cannot replace the defective dash glasses. This might be a situation where people find out if NH is sensitive to their customers' needs. ....

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
Murf

2001-03-05          25055

Mike, or was it just a case where a manufacturer screwed up by putting something stupid on a machine, not testing adequately, and then covering the part that should have been there all the time under warranty, cause they're such a nice bunch of people? ....

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
Mike S.

2001-03-05          25072

Murf--you probably hit the nail on the head and that would also extend, in JD's case, to metallic contamination that trashed hydro transmissions and also their infamous turf-tearing front ends. ....

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
gary

2001-03-18          25618

all you nh owners nh will replace dash under warrenty Gary ....

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
wgb

2001-04-27          27292

Does anyone know how hard it is to replace the glass on a JD4400? My dealer received the kit (glass & seal only) but I would rather do it myself instead of paying to have the tractor picked up & delivered. Thanks ....

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
Tree Farmer

2001-08-14          30951

Can you fill me in as to what needed to be done to rectify the fogging dash problem and what caused it?

I have had this happening to my Tractor, (4300) and the Service Personel at the Dealership where I bought it said they were not aware of a problem with them.

By chance do you have a PIP number or contact Person at Deere That I can forward to my dealer to get this resolved for me?

Thanks,
-Rod- ....

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
Kenny

2001-08-14          30956

Tree farmer, Tell your dealer that you need RE72944 Anti-fog Glass Service Kit. That should cure your problem. It consists of treated glass and a new seal for the instrument panel. ....

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
Murf

2001-08-15          30962

A word of warning here, as I sit in 90+ deg. humid weather. If you replace your glass and seal on a day like today, it will NOT stop the fogging problem. In fact it will probably make it worse since all the humididty will now be trapped in your instruments, and this will undoubtedly shorten their life span. Further, I doubt that JD, or anyone else for that matter would warranty your instrument cluster a year or so down the road either. The only way to satisfactorily rid yourself of this problem is to either seal the unit completely without any moisture present, or vent it well and let it breathe. Best of luck. ....

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
Tree Farmer

2001-08-16          30989

Just to clarify what is happening on my JD 4300 when the tractor has been run for a few minutes at idle speed or a little above it after being worked for a while , the Instrument panel, meaning the plastic dash that has the tac and other printing on it turns a milky color just to the right and bottom of the highest tac gauge numbers. It is not moisture forming inside the Clear plastic outer shell that you would look thru to view the dash gauges (That is crystal clear), it is actually the dash itself that appears to be turning color.

I thought that perhaps something is getting warm causing the plastic to turn a milky color.

Once the tractor has sit and has been shut off and cooled a while, the milky color slowly disappears from the dash.

Is this the same as what you guys are experiencing or is your "fogging" something different?

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
Jeff Earthwerks Unli

2002-09-15          42440

The solution I believe is venting. The composite headlites on your car have capped vents that prevent--or rather--vent the moisture. I haven't had the problem with my TC33D but when I do I will drill a 1/16" hole from behind. To keep dust from getting in there a breathable cover such as band-aid over the hole seems like it would work. ....

Instrument Panel Fogging

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-09-16          42474

tree farmer -- i have your problem too. my 4700 didn't have the problem last year. but i believe it started this summer after extended use in hot weather. it appears to be something that evaporates off something in/behind the instrument panel, then condenses on the back of the clear lenscover. i have places where it literally forms rivulets that run down to the bottom. it is a milky or cloudy condensate. when i check the tractor cold, the panel is clear again. the condensation appears in slightly different areas time-to-time.
I don't like the idea of something degrading by losing some form of chemical agent or additive.
haven't talked to the dealer, but will !!!
jim ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login