Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC29D Breaking

View my Photos
phil
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-02-27          24776

As a long time operator of standard transmission tractors, I've gotten used to using the left/right brake to aid in stearing in tight quarters or when ditching with the back blade. Now, as the owner of a TC29D I find that the practice that's helped me out many times has become near impossible. In order to use the left brake, while underway, I must heel the HST pedal while toeing the brake. Using the right brake requires toggling on the speed control first (can't reach both pedals with my size 11). Now the question (finally!!). Anyone else feel this way? Any work-a-rounds that don't disconnect the speed control?thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

TC29D Breaking

View my Photos
kay

2001-02-27          24777

One of the several reasons I bought a JD 4300. The brakes have to be near worthless, except for good looks or something. But some must like them, so go figure. ....

TC29D Breaking

View my Photos
Robert Weiler

2001-02-27          24790

Looks like the designers are not operators. I too miss being about to brake/turn. ....

TC29D Breaking

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2001-02-28          24800

Phil, my Cub Cadet 7275 has a pair of split brake pedals on the right side with a flip-up bar that locks them together. For months I thought that it was a useless setup until one of my employees showed me when, and how, they were effective. He was doing draft work with a 3pt York rake, windrowing yard debris. He had the speed control and throttle set a comfortable pace, and at the end of each row, he'd nail one pedal and turn in a neat, tight turn. Other than this, I think that the feature is nothing more than a design hold-over from the manually shifted transmission models, common to the entire design line. It probably would be too costly to re-engineer the assembly line and product to eliminate them. Such are the wonders of modern manufacturing. ....

TC29D Breaking

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-02-28          24804

That in one reason that I bought a TC29S. I had already decided that if I ended up with the 29D, I would wire up a momentary pressure switch that would disable the "brakes turning off the speed control" feature so that I could turn on the speed contol and brake steer.

I had queried the board about this last fall; some said that compacts don't really need brake steering; others said it was a minor design flaw with the NH compacts. So far, I've found brake steering useful when ditching with a scraper blade; it's also fun.

Bill Mullens ....

Link:   Brake steer didn't help here

TC29D Breaking

View my Photos
Jeff B

2001-03-01          24882

I bypassed the switch activated by the left brake pedal so that I could set the speed control and free up my foot for braking. Whether its a useful feature depends on what you're doing with the tractor. I use it when I'm plowing snow with a rear blade to keep the front end from sliding off into the ditch. Its more effective than attempting to steer out. - Jeff B ....

TC29D Breaking

View my Photos
Eric D.

2001-03-01          24890

I think those who don't think idependent turning brakes are important don't know how to use them. This is one reason I bought a JD. They have saved me several times in tight spaces and plowing snow. Eric ....

TC29D Breaking

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-03-01          24892

Usable turning brakes is also one of the reasons I bought the JD4400. I use them occasionally when plowing snow, but it's the only way to turn when I'm backblading with the loader and I'm applying some down pressure. ....

TC29D Breaking

View my Photos
Mike S.

2001-03-01          24893

IMHO, it is a shame that NH waited until the series III Boomers came out before they placed the turning brakes on the correct side. I spent many, many hours looking at series III Boomers since I really liked their design, capabilities, FEL, lack of a clutch and the presence of turning brakes on the correct side as well as separate forward and reverse hydro pedals. I even obtain excellent prices on a TC40D and after almost ordering a TC40D, the reality finally hit that it was simply too big for my needs as was its belly mower. Had the TC33D had the same design FEL, no clutch and the turning brakes on the correct side along with separate hydro pedals, I would already have a TC33D. I am not putting down the Series II Boomers, but simply stating that for my needs, there were some omissions that were important for my needs, otherwise these are awesome tractors. While I may have some issues with my JD4400HST, the brakes on the left side are really useful for snow removal and FEL work. ....

TC29D Breaking

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2001-03-02          24929

Turn brakes and FEL capacity is the reason that I bought the TC35D instead of the TC29D. It had something to do with the pto on the 33,29, and 25 needing a foot clutch to engage/disengage the pto. On the 35D the pto is controlled by a lever on the left fender. I don't know much about pto clutches but I did know that I didn't want a HST tractor with a clutch that I had to operate and no turn brakes. ....

TC29D Breaking

View my Photos
phil

2001-03-05          25051

____Thanks to one and all for your comments!_____
I followed Jeff B's lead and installed a two position switch on the dash that allows normal brake pedal switch mode (NH design) or bypass mode when I want to use the brakes to aid in stearing. I wanted to contact NH and give them my two cents on this issue but can't find an email address to use to contact them. ....

TC29D Breaking

View my Photos
Danny Yerks

2001-03-07          25152

Try sending email to Mary Ward at NEWHOLLA.MWARD1@NEWHOLLAND.COM. Be nice, she doesn't design them, she's just a PR lady. ....

TC29D Breaking

View my Photos
gary mason

2001-03-09          25275

I emailed Mary, about another issue and she is a very nice person to email. She got back to me very quickly. I wish other Cust Serv people were that good.
I even pointed her to this web site. I would hope other NH personel are listing to our comments here, even if they don't chime in.
gary ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login