Go Bottom Go Bottom

Help choosing between TC35D and L3010

View my Photos
Dave Worrall
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-02-12          24164

We have 55 hilly and wooded acres in NH. I think I need a tractor to move earth and rocks and to harvest firewood for personal use. I've been considering the TC35D and L3010 and would like input from anyone who can help. BTW I have a quote on the TC35D with R4 tires and the 16LA loader... $21,000. Is that the going price these days? Dave

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-02-13          24167

Prices do vary in different parts of the country, but if you've read the other messages, it appears that Scott Murray is buying one for $2k less in Dallas. ....

View my Photos
mbjacobs

2001-02-13          24173

Dave, for $21,000 you should be able to buy an L3710, which (I think) is closer to the TC35D than an L3010. I have an L3710 and for 55 acres I wouldn't want anything smaller. ....

View my Photos
Todd Peirce

2001-02-13          24180

Hi Dave,

I live in the tri state area of VT, NH, and MA. I found that my local dealer was extremely high on initial cost. (close to retail) I went to the New Holland web site and found the 10 closest dealers in my area. I called each one and let them know that I was calling each one to find the best value. Some dealers couldn't compete with the best prices that I received. I was quoted $20,500.00 for a TC40D (no SS) 16LA 72" HD bucket with a hook welded on, R4's(calcium w/tubes), block heater. The price for a similarly equipped TC35D was $19,300.00 For the extra $1,200.00 I went with the TC40D mostly for the 4 cyl instead of 3 cyl and the higher lift capacity. The 4 cyl runs much smoother.
I only have 25 hrs on it but so far I love it. The only problem that I have had is mentioned in the post "Operating Temp" on this forum. Installing the shut off valve in the coolant drain hose has resolved the issue.

Todd ....

View my Photos
Dave Worrall

2001-02-13          24184

Hi Todd,
Thanks for the information. Your prices are very interesting. We live in the same area so I should be able to do much the same thing. The price ($21,000) I was quoted may have been a starting point for the dealer, Ryan in Tilton, NH, just 10 miles south of home. With your data I will chat with them again this afternoon. Do you mind telling me who you bought from? I suspect that any dealer in NH would be ok, but I would like to avoid the sales tax eslewhere. But given the right price, sales tax would be ok too.

You make some very good points on the value of 4 cylinders instead of 3. It I could manage the same deal as you did, I would go that way too. Additionally, the package you bought is exactly what I want to start with.

Thanks again for the help.
Dave ....

View my Photos
Todd Peirce

2001-02-13          24193

Hi Dave, I bought mine from Capital Tractor in Greenwich NY (518) 692-9611. I have included a link to their web site. The salesman's name is Charles Weeden. The sales tax wouldn't be an issue since you live in NH. Bear in mind that buying from a dealer further away has it's disadvantages. Delivery cost as well as service. Also I don't think they made very much money on the deal so I might have caught them at the right time. Moores Corners was another dealer that would match the price but I heard that they are a smaller dealer and I liked the people from Capital. If you like the dealer that is close to you and you can get their price closer to the one that I got, you should seriously consider going local. ....

Link:   Capital Tractor

View my Photos
VT Steve

2001-02-13          24195

Dave, remember the other great thing about New Hampshire -- even if you get your tractor from another state, there is no sales tax as long as it's delivered there! As you have found out, some dealers simply won't do much with price point, even with a sure sale if they were to budge just a bit. I got great quotes (under $19k w/your specs!)from a dealer in NY (on VT border) who was quite willing to deliver to me in Central VT at quoted price w/no tax. I ended up finding a used TC-35D (won't hurt you with the price). Whatever you do, get a feel for your local dealer since that's where the service will be done even if you buy it from far afield. My guy doesn't care (big enough not to know?) where I got my machine so he doesn't look at me twice when I bring it in or come in asking questions. As far as the 3 vs. 4 cylinder smoothness goes, that topic got beat to death a while back in the forum with no clear resolution as to whether it's true or not. I don't think you'll go wrong with either a 35 or a 40 (or probably a 3710 for that matter). Good Luck ....

View my Photos
Todd

2001-02-13          24198

Hey Dave,
How far are you from Burlington area, VT. We both a NH dealer and a Kubota dealer. The Kubota dealer, Gary at Essex Rental, usually offers great prices, and if you're not too far, has a great service dept too. No personal experience with Hertz/First Choice, the NH dealer, but when Brian there couldn't get me my Del Morino tiller in less than 3 weeks, he tracked one down at another local dealer, checked their price which was within $25 of his, and sent me there. Gotta respect that!

Todd

PS) Don't buy on specs. Look, touch, drive, and take service access into account. You can compare reasonable prices for Kubotas at Steve Carver's site. ....

View my Photos
Dave Worrall

2001-02-13          24214

Thanks to everyone for helping. Today I decided to go tractor driving. I started at the dealer who gave me the quote. I drove the TC35D, the TC40D and a Kubota L4310. I haven't read all the correspondence on 3 or 4 cylinders, but my personal feeling was that the 4 cylinder models, both NH and Kubota, felt smoother and quieter. Body rattles on the TC35D seemed much more apparent. But the biggest difference was the driving and loader characteristics were very different between the NH and Kubota. At this point I find advantages to both with no clear results. I hope to take my wife tractor driving tomorrow. Since I want her to use the tractor too, perhaps she will have stronger feelings about the NH and Kubota units. Regarding price, the dealer seems pretty set at his quote, and was a bit surprised when I suggested that the price might be negotiated. I also went to another dealer who sells Kubota and John Deere. His Kubota prices were very close to the original dealer. So perhaps I have the selling price for the Lakes Region of NH. I plan to call the dealer that you all have suggested. Again, thanks for the help and I would appreciate any additional insights you would like to share.
Dave ....

View my Photos
gary mason

2001-02-18          24336

Dave,
There's about to be one more tc35d owner. Here's a few of the reason I choose a tc35d over the rest. Boy's the 16LA loader specs says max lifting capacity is 1800lbs!!! That's nearly 1000lbs greater than the loader for all the ~30hp orange, green and blue tractors. The height that this loader can dump is 81in. I put it over a 7ft chain link fence and dumped. Amazing! Aslo, the tc35d has the feul tank in the rear. Much easier to filler-up. The rap-around headlights, the tilt and tele steering wheel, and the 72" bucket. The really slick HST package where there is no clutch and you can jump into a higher speed at the flip of a switch or the press of a button on the loader joystick and back again. Oh and let's talk about the Joystick. The position of that right next to my hip is great. No more reaching for the knob. But to show that I was totally awed,NH need to get there act together on this sloppy seat belt setup. Give me somewhere to tuck it or better yet spring loaded. They've pack a lot of creature features in this baby. I've got a good out the door price of right at 18,500. gary

View my Photos
Tom Lucent

2001-02-18          24339

Gary, All we need is another windbag knocking all other brands. Grow up we all like our tractors. TL ....

View my Photos
VT Steve

2001-02-18          24344

Whew - take a deep breath Tom, everything's gonna be OK. I think you may have read into a typo on Gary's post re: seatbelts. If I translate correctly, I think he was saying that he WASN'T totally awed and went on to comment about the poorly designed seatbelt on the Boomer (Orange having perhaps a superior design!?). I sure took the post as a positive statement about Blue not a negative one about other colors. Let's not be so picky, eh? If there has been any bashing lately, it has been about dealers and not colors or models IMHO.

View my Photos
John Shade

2001-02-18          24349

Gary, I'm glad that you are pleased & sure with your choice & that you didn't say anything negative about other brands. That TC line does really look like a great setup. I do not like my seatbelts on my 33 either... ....

View my Photos
Todd

2001-02-18          24352

Hey Gary, Congratulations on your new blue. 1800lbs?? That is awsome if they measure lift at the same height as orange and green, but on their web site, NH doesn't say at what height lift capacity is measured. It matters. For example, the LA401 loader on my B2710 lifts 882 lbs at height, but has a "break out" strength of closer to 1400 or 1500lbs. The LA481 on the L3010 or 3410 lifts 1058 lbs at full height, but breakout is 1951 lbs. So it may be that NH's loaders do or don't lift 1000 lbs more than their competitors. I can't tell from the numbers, but I have my doubts given how close these machines really are brand to brand. Still, you didn't buy the tractor based just on a lift capacity spec. You bought it because you liked it best. It's an awsome machine, and a good price! For Dave's sake, can you post the details so he can compare quotes (tires, transmission, SS option?) Not sure what got Tom there so mad. Tom, you mad at Gary, or just grumpy because your name-sake stock is in the toilet??? :) Just kidding. But I'm with Steve on this one, we all love our tractors, so if Gary wants to brag about his awsome new machine, let him. This thread was started for input on the different machines Dave is considering. I'm an orange fan, but would have a tough time deciding between those models too. ....

View my Photos
gary mason

2001-02-19          24367

Well... my last post was not a slam on any brand, just suggestion. We all like our tractors. I just sold my B2400hsd after 3yrs and 210hrs and I loved it. It was a great tractor. I just need a little bigger model. I looked very hard at the b2910hsd, but for the price and the little different loader it wasn't a great deal. Now the tc35d has all the bell and whistles, but all I was saying by the seatbelt issue was that it seems like they should follow Kubotas spring setup rather than have it knocking around on the fenders. I'm going to love this tractor too, it has all the bell that my b2400 didn't have plus 28inches wider more on the loader bucket. I wasn't knocking any brand, just my 2cents on the seatbelt. I'm still buying it..
thanks steve and todd
gary ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-19          24382

Gary, last year I was talking about loader specs on this forum and one of the "boys" warned me about how misleading loader specs can be. Welcome to the club. Basically what they said was if you got a 35 hp tractor, 2500 psi hydraulic system, reasonable gpm capacity, and conventional loader geometry, then there isn't going to be a HUGE (like factor of 2) difference in loader capabilities. There will be a lot of confusion and intentional obfuscation in the specs, though. Case in point: the NH web site does indeed imply that a 16LA loader on a TC35D will lift 1800 lbs at the pivot point, but it doesn't say at what height. The sales brochure lift capacity spec for the 32 hp JD4300 with the 430 loader is 1258 lbs at the pivot point, but that is at max lift height. In the operators manual, the pivot point lift capacity of the 430/4300 combination at 1.5m (5 ft) is spec'ed at 1943 lbs, which is 8% more than the 1800 lbs stated for the 16LA on the bigger 35 hp tractor! So which one will lift more? Answer is that they are probably about equivalent, it depends where and how you measure. Similarly, a close look at the specs on the lift and dump heights will show that the main difference is due to the physical size/height of the tractor. So what is better: a bigger tractor with relatively low hp (TC35D) or a smaller tractor with relatively high hp (Kubota 2910)? It depends on what you want. By the way, JD helped a lot of this confusion along when their marketing people stated loader specs at the pivot point a couple years ago. Now NH is adding to the confusion with misleading specs. Let the buyer beware! ....

View my Photos
Art

2001-02-19          24397

I agree on the need to compare apples to apples (as much as possible) on some of these specs.

From my 16LA/17LA manual -
"Lift Capacity to Maximum height at pivot pin" = 1800 lb.
"Lift Capacity to Maximum height 19.7" Fwd of Pivot pin" = 1386 lb.
Both of these are for when the 16LA is on a TC35 - they are slightly higher if on a TC40 or 45. The comparative numbers for the 17LA are 1760lb and 1391lb on a TC35. ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-20          24419

On these boards we rarely compare apples to apples... it's usually oranges to blueberries to uh, green apples? :>) Seriously, 1800lb to max height (even at the pivot point) is very impressive. Is this greater capacity due to bigger cylinders or does it involve tradeoffs in geometries? One aspect of the 16LA (or maybe 17LA?) loader that I was concerned about was how far it appeared to stick out in front of the tractor. I think this was on a SuperSteer model, so I don't know if they are all the same. I didn't confirm my perception by checking the specs, but it sure seemed to have a lot more overall length than similar tractor/loader combinations. Whether or not that is important depends on your use profile, I guess. ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-20          24420

Hey, big safety reminder in order here! You want to be real careful when you have 1800 lbs sitting more than 8 feet in the air on a compact tractor! Make sure you are well ballasted, that you are on pretty level ground, and be very careful moving that load around. Make sure that your folding ROPS is locked in place and that you are wearing your seatbelt (even if it doesn't have a retracting mechanism). Few things in life are scarier (or more dangerous) than a tractor tipping over. ....

View my Photos
DavidV

2001-02-20          24442

The NH 17LA does stick out further in front than the 16LA does due to the supersteer. The additional length is a bonus at times and an extra obstacle (I have a TC40D w/17LA). This additional length does not reduce the lift capacity (the specs state 40 lbs less) but is an issue of leverage. When the bucket had a heavy load the back wheels can come off the ground unless a counter ballast is mounted on the back.

DaveV ....

View my Photos
Michigander

2001-02-20          24447

I'll add my 2 cents worth on the loader lift discussion. While I have a new TC40D sitting in my shed, when I was comparing the specs to the JD's it seemed the more fair comparison to the NH 35/40/45 would be the JD 4500/4600/4700 not the 4300. If I recall correctly, the JD 4500+ series lift capacity was over 2000 lbs. I'm sure someone on the "Green" discussion boards will know for sure. Either way, which of us is really going to lift that much with the loader. Even with a bunch of ballast in the rear, lifting that much weight very high would make me need to go into the house and change my drawers. I agree with the safety minded posters. Let's all live to buy another new tractor in a few years. ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-21          24506

Yeah, Michigander, good point there on comparison. The spec'ed lift capacity of the 460 loader on a JD4500-4700 is 2325 lbs to max height of 111.9 inches at the pivot point. But we can leap-frog these specs all day. The bottom line for me is that the 16LA on a TC35D seems to be at the head of the class for a 35 hp general purpose tractor/loader combination (not counting the Kubota L35 of course!). As a result of this thread I've taken a much closer look at the 16LA loader with an engineer's eye and I'm really impressed with the design. It appears that the NH engineers started with a clean sheet of paper and discarded conventional geometries and fabrication assumptions. The only drawback I see is that it appears longer than conventional designs. Now I'll have to get somebody I know to buy one so I can really try it out! ....

View my Photos
Michigander

2001-02-21          24513

Jeff, I'm sure the 16LA loader is longer but the extra reach is handy if you are loading a trailer or filling in a hole. I was accustom to driving my old Ford 9N in and out of the shed and the loader on my TC40D makes you pay attention to how quickly you turn when backing out. I have a couple of fresh scrapes on my door frame to try to cover up this spring! I think engineers did a great job on the 16LA loader. I really like the way it mimics the sloping hood line of the tractor. Even if it doesn't match the JD lift, there is more than enough for me. ....

View my Photos
gary mason

2001-02-22          24547

Does anyone have or know about the bolt on teeth bar for a 16LA bucket. I thought about getting one with my tc35d
gary ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-22          24551

Gary, the removable toothbar I have on my loader is from ATI in Pennsylvania and I bought it through my JD dealer. I recommend that you get one with replaceable teeth. As long as your bucket does not already have a bolt-on cutting edge you should be okay. What is important is the exact inside width of the bucket and the thickness of the cutting edge. For the ATI toothbar, one hole has to be drilled or cut into each side of the bucket to bolt the bar in place. Mine cost between $400-450 including installation, I don't remember the exact amount. I'm sure you can get it from Steve Carver or maybe Art White (their advertising helps this board) if your local dealer doesn't carry it, but then you have to drill your own holes ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login