Go Bottom Go Bottom

going from belly mower to rear mower

View my Photos
Mike S.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-27          22869

I am used to the convenience of a belly mower, having had one on each of the compact diesel tractors that I have owned (currently I have a JD4400HST with 60 inch commercial belly mower). Consideration is being given to moving up to a TC35D with a 7 ft. rear finish mower (Rhino, Woods or Bushog). QUESTION:is a rear finish mower practical for me after 20 years of using belly mowers--I mow around 50 trees and other objects in my small acreage of a yard. Opinions? Mike S.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Mike

2000-12-28          22876

Mike S. Doesn't New Holland offer a 7' mid-mount finish mower? Maybe this is an opption on a larger model tractor,don't know for sure,anyway I've used a mid-mount for years also,and I would find it difficult to make the change,but nothing is impossable,once you get the hang of it. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-28          22878

I would think that for all you mow around you would want to stick with the belly mower. When you are mowing if you do your trimming it would be tough on your neck. ....

View my Photos
Michigander

2000-12-29          22900

I am making a move from a front mount JD 72 inch to a 3pt rear deck on my TC40D. After looking at the 3pt decks, I saw a rear discharge 91 inch Caroni at Agri-Supply. It has 5 blades instead of 3 like all the competitive units (Woods, Befco, Rhino) Seems like this would be better. Anyone have any comments on this unit? The specs indicate that the blade tip speed is about the same. I am concerned that the grass may be bent over after driving on it and want to get as much lift from the mower deck as possible. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-12-29          22903

Michigander, I really don't know anything about the Caroni mowers, but a couple of years ago I saw one, thought it looked pretty good, and was told it was made in Italy. So I asked my dealer about them and he said they didn't stock them, but that he'd be glad to get me one from the warehouse there in town if that's what I wanted. However, he said the price was the same as Bush Hog and the Bush Hog was better quality and made in the USA. Since I was happy with the two Bush Hog implements I was already using, when I bought my finish mower, I stayed with Bush Hog. I only considered the Caroni in hopes of saving a little money. ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-12-29          22904

Michigander--I am also wondering about the effectiveness of a rear discharge when compared to an air-tunnel side discharge. My concern is similar to yours--will the rear discharge rear mower have enough lift to raise the grass AFTER running over wet or damp grass with all four tractor tires and would sure appreciate hearing from those with rear discharge mowers in that regard. Mike S. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-12-29          22913

Mike, I have a rear discharge 60" Bush Hog (model RDTH60) and I've not only mowed when the grass was too wet, but actually mowed right on through puddles of standing water (when the neighbor had a water leak and didn't know it). I've been surprised at how good it does, and very happy with it. ....

View my Photos
Jim

2000-12-29          22915

Mike, I need to ask, if you have a small amount of land & 50 trees to mow around why do you want to mow w/such a big unit? It seems to me a Zero turn mower w/ a larger deck would be a more feasible unit. I know at my place any compact tractor over 25hp w/ a mid mower is poison. a "dog" to sell. ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-12-29          22917

Jim--you are correct that a zero turn mower of some type would be wiser for just mowing. Were I just mowing, I could save time and money by purchasing a Grasshopper. Where I work, we have a small fleet of Kubota tractors and a small fleet of Grasshoppers for gounds care and when given the choice, the maintenance employees will always use the Grasshoppers for mowing about 25 acres of school yards. Not only are the Grasshoppers smoother riding, but they can mow the same area in less time than using the tractors. Therefore, your point is well taken. However, I frequently use my FEL and other implements for various projects on my acreage, snow blading a mile and a half of county road--including busting through snow drifts that can reach 3 or more feet, as well as doing odd jobs for neighbors and friends; and when I retire after one more school year, I will might fill a badly needed niche around here by doing small field mowing, tilling or plowing or discing large gardens and other utility tractor odd jobs. I am surprised that compact tractors over 25 hp in your area are tough to sell--in the Kansas City area, there is a very good market for such tractors. ....

View my Photos
Mike

2000-12-30          22922

Mike,I live about 90 miles N.E. of the city.I'm sure you would'nt be intrested,but I have a like new Kubota G1900S with 60" deck for sale,140 hours.These units are a great trim mower and can cover a lot of ground also. ....

View my Photos
Jim

2000-12-31          22948

I'm sorry Mike, what I meant is 25hp+ tractors w/mid mowers are hard to sell. the mid mower option on a larger tractor is not very popular in my area.
Jim ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-12-31          22959

Jim--thanks for the clarification. You make a good point that most of the larger compact diesel tractors would not sell as well with belly mowers when they are used. Two different local dealers (for different brands of tractors) commented that they will typically sell one of the larger compact diesels with a belly mower for every 50 or so that they sell with a rear mower with a brand different than that of the tractor. Mike S. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login