Go Bottom Go Bottom

NH vs Cub Cadet

View my Photos
ggman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-11-07          21297

Help....Does anyone have anyone know how a Cub Cadet stacks up against the big 3-4 compact manufacturer's? Any practical experience? I am leaning towards NH, but found that a comparable Cub Cadet tractor (30 hp size) was available much cheaper than NH/Kubota/JD. Is this a reflection of quality or durability?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

NH vs Cub Cadet

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2000-11-08          21314

GGman, Cub Cadet and NH are pretty much on a par as far as overall quality. NH has "Supersteer", a nice feature if you do a lot of tight turns while in MFWD (like at the end of a crop row). Both machines, in the 30hp range, have the typical weak hydraulics (8 to 9gpm)found on most compact utility tractors. This low gpm is enough to run the typical utility backhoe, FEL, and an assortment of 3pt hitch units which are adequate for most users. I noticed you had another posting asking about price, the answer is yes, that is a great price for the 7300. But remember, of the Cub line, the gear drives are the slow sales movers. This is because the more costly hydrosatic machines are more desirable, they are less fatiguing to drive in intense work situations like FEL work. I own several Cubs, my favorite being the 7275 (today would be 7305) because of its hydrostatic drive. My least favorite is the gear drive machine. I've used the hydro machine in sever duty landscaping and it has done very well, however, there are better machines for much more money. I have my sights set on the new Kubota L48. But here again, how much power do you need? How often will you run your machine and in what conditons will it be used? Other considerations are dealer quality and product knowledge, your maintenance habits, and the "as is" condition of the machine you buy. Several posters have been critical of NH for what amounts to bait and switch tactics, several have been critical of Cub dealers. Go figure? I think you'll like either machine if you use it the way it was intended to be used. Good luck! ....

NH vs Cub Cadet

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-11-08          21316

The Cub tractors have been a good tractor for many people. They are able to do all the tasks of the other tractors and they are reliable. I would try operating the tractor and make sure it fits you. ....

NH vs Cub Cadet

View my Photos
ggman

2000-11-08          21317

Thanks for the info TK. My understanding is that I can get the hydro for approximately $1200 more.....yet still be at least $2500 below NH asking price. In all fairness, I haven't taken the NH dealer to task to get the bottom dollar and maybe I'm not as far off as I think. As far as the hydro goes....yes I'd love to have it. But I'm really trying to budget a purchase around $17k and somehow I'd like to get a FEL, bushhog, rear blade, and tiller included in that. For that reason...I'm thinking I may have to give up on the hydro...and the brand name. ?????? ....

NH vs Cub Cadet

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2000-11-08          21319

GGman, look at it this way, maybe you could forgo the purchase of the other attachments and just buy the 7305 and FEL. It just may be that at this time of the year you could get by without them. But most important, you can't go back and add the hydrostatic drive like you can a rear blade or mower. For my money, I'd buy the Cub 7305 and FEL to start, and if I absolutely had to have the other attachments, I'd borrow them or rent them until I could buy them. Twelve hundred dollars is a short stretch for the superior hydro, $5000. for good attachments could be spread out over time, as needed. In my area, owners share attachments a lot, especially farmers, maybe they do in your area too. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Get the better machine first, the other stuff can come later. ....

NH vs Cub Cadet

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-11-10          21361

I think Ted gave some sound logical advice. The best I have seen in some time. I've never owned a Cub but they are fairly popular around my area. In fact my Kubota dealer sells both and he says that for what most people want a compact tractor for, the Cub is all the machine that they need. I would have thought that for $17K, you could get a new hydro Cub with FEL, shredder and blade quite easily (the shredder and blade aren't too expensive depending on type and manufacturer) possibly with enough left over to get a good used tiller (expensive). It'll be close though. Happy haggling. ....

NH vs Cub Cadet

View my Photos
ggman

2000-11-10          21373

Frank & Ted, thanks for the good advice. It turns out that I probably won't make a purchase until spring time anyway. At that point, probably will plan to get the loader and a bushhog at minimum. I've noticed alot of the implements are readily available at the local farm equip supply store...albeit they may be cheaper brands. I guess my next step is to settle on my manufacturer and plan my haggling strategy. ....

NH vs Cub Cadet

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2000-11-15          21522

GGman, I've got some news that should prove interesting to you and may have an influence on your purchase. Cub Cadet has pulled down from their web site several gear drive machines; gone are the 7360, 7300, and 7260 gear drive machines, only the smallest (7200) remains in the lineup with gear drive. Speculation has it that Cub made the decision to dump the clutch and gear transmissions in favor of the more popular hydrostatic machines. Next year Cub is rumored to be offering two new machines (36hp and 45hp) equipped with a gear drive that has a system very much like the Kubota "Glideshift". "Glideshift" transmissions use a solenoid to throw in and out the clutch as you move the gear selector so that the operator doesn't have to push the traditional pedal. Kubota fans will no doubt know much more about this system and can tell you more. But this change in offerings will go a long way in explaining why certain Cubs are being offered for so little money. I've seen here in New England 7300's with hoe and FEL selling for $17k. Seems the dealers want to clean house before spring. Happy Hunting. ....

NH vs Cub Cadet

View my Photos
ggman

2000-11-15          21534

Thanks for the info TK. Interesting. Although by my calculations, the quote I got for a 7300 of $10,500 was to be $11,700 with the hydro. Still below the competition. I'll keep in mind. I actually am leaning a bit toward NH or Kubota...yet the Cub Dealer is close to me...and cheaper. ....

NH vs Cub Cadet

View my Photos
Richard Mendel

2000-12-31          22946

Mr.ggman, I'm in the same predicament as you were. What did you finally do. I'm trying to find a reason to go to N.H., J.D., or Cub. I noticed J.D. has a promo on the 790 for $10,995.00 until the end of the month. I'm getting quite confused with pricing, options and just plain performance. Your feedback would be considered sage advice in this case. If you you purchased the Cub, I'm curious if you are still happy. I am leaning in that direction myself. Richard Mendel ....

NH vs Cub Cadet

View my Photos
ggman

2001-01-01          22960

Richard, I have yet to act on my purchase. Decided I'd wait until this spring. I did come to find out that the quote on the Cub was a result of a misunderstanding and thus the Cub was not that much cheaper than what I could get a Kubota for. Furthermore, a dealer in Ky has been forthright with some Kubota deals that are very competitive and my plan at the moment is to consider placing an order with him and having it all delivered. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login