Go Bottom Go Bottom

A bunch of NH questions

View my Photos
Rick Morgan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-20          19013

Folks--I've been following the board for a few months, and have benefitted enormously from the collective knowledge/wisdom of its members. I've about decided on an NH--the dealer is two miles away, looks like JD has some "issues," my brother-in-law has a Kubota and I don't want to be a copycat, and the NH layout and ergonomics are pretty seductive. I'm sure the pricing stuff y'all have posted will give the salesman heartburn, if not a heart attack---his going-in position on a 33D w/o SS, with a 4308 and a 60" brush hog was $20.4k, but I now feel well-armed to shave the price pretty good. I have a few questions, though, and I hope you'll help. We have 36 acres--about 3 in grass (like many of you, not "lawn") and the rest in hilly woods with some logging roads which need to be reclaimed and then maintained. Also a lot of trees which were logged before we got here, with the tops--up to 24" dia.--left laying around and in need of cleanup. So, my questions: (1) Whether to consider going to the 35/40/45 frame from the 29/33 frame: What is the price difference on the tractor and on going from the 4308 to the 16LA loader? (2) Are the larger models significantly (or any) less competent for regular grass, and/or significantly more intimidating for the distaff driver? (3) What about the weight difference on the larger frame in terms of driving on "lawn?" (4) Having previously had a Yanmar with an allegedly-quik-tach loader, I'm really impressed with the detachability of the 4308---is the 16LA as easy to mount and dismount? (5) Understanding that caution is critical on any hill work, is either the larger or smaller frame more adept at it? (6) I've seen some general commentary on installing/removing belly mowers on the Boomers, but not much actual experience--any reports? My current plan is to keep my Gravely for lawn mowing, but I'm not committed to that idea. (7) I think I've only read one true "lemon" thread for Boomers--any other horror stories?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

A bunch of NH questions

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

2000-08-21          19017

Rick, I would go with the larger frame Boomer. The TC29D and 33D are excellent tractors but with 36 acres to manage I think you can use the bigger tractor. The price difference is not that significant when you look at it over the life of the tractor. I own a JD 4600 (larger frame) and like the size of the tractor. I owned a 4300 prior. The longer wheelbase and larger tires makes for a much smoother ride. The extra power does come in handy especially if you use a loader frequently. Equipment such as PTO powered brush chippers take horsepower. I drove the TC35D with the powershift hydrostatic and was impressed. I did not get a chance to see the loader removed but I trust it goes on and off quickly. I liked the unobstructed view from the tractor up through the loader. NewHolland did nice job on these big frame tractors. In the end it comes down to your particular needs. The more finish mowing you do close to your house the more likely the smaller Boomer is the choice. But in my opinion with your large acreage the larger tractor will be the better choice. ....

A bunch of NH questions

View my Photos
DavidV

2000-08-21          19019

Hi,

When puchasing my tractor (TC40D) I considered both size frames. The price difference was $700 to go from a TC33D w/ss to a TC35D w/ss. The price difference was $1100 to go from a TC33D w/ss to a TC40D w/ss. I went with the TC40D so that I had ample power capability to drive a hay baler w/wagon in the future.

Have not yet done any finish mowing but do not sink in or leave ruts using the R4 tires. Hopes this helps.

DavidV ....

A bunch of NH questions

View my Photos
william

2000-08-21          19039

rick, i just went througb that decision process last month. i have a farm with some steep hills. although i have a dixie chopper zeroturn mower for my yard and larger tractors for field mowing, i still wanted to be able to handle my 6 ft finish mower on hills adjacent to my yard. they said the 33 would but i was'nt sure. the numbers are all better on the 16la over the 7308. lift capacity is double. the 35 has the brakes on the left side allowing you to brake for turning. that is a big plus on hills regardless of what some say about 4wd. i use brakes on the a 100hp 4wd john deere sometimes when bushhoging with a batwing. ....

A bunch of NH questions

View my Photos
Bradey

2000-08-21          19043

I appreciate each and every question Rick brings up in his excellent original post. How about it, Boomer owners, anyone willing to tackle them all? ....

A bunch of NH questions

View my Photos
DavidV

2000-08-21          19046

The TC33D has more than enough power for a finish mower. My third 10 year old Douglas 72" owner's manual states that the warranty, which is long expired, would be rendered null and void if used on a tractor greater than 25 pto hp. NH only factory installs the mid-point pto on the boomers up to the TC35D. A dealer can install the mid-point pto on the TC40D and my NH dealer tells me that the TC45D cannot have a mid-point pto installed. Don't worry about powering a finish mower. If you have heavy grasses and want to use a rotary mower (bush hog) than the extra power is very nice. If I had 36 acres to maintain (only have 10) I would probably do what I am doing/plan to do: use my 42 riding mower for the area directly around the house and use my 72" mower on the back of my TC40D (unless the grass gets too long and I need to use the rotary mower.
My rotary mower is 5' and I wish that I had a 6'. The extra foot would be really nice to give more overlap past the tires.
I agree with the other post regarding the foot pedal arrangement benefits of the larger frame vs the smaller frame.

DavidV ....

A bunch of NH questions

View my Photos
william

2000-08-30          19303

rick, what did you buy? i am happy with my nh35d w/16la loader. only have 15 hours so far. ....

A bunch of NH questions

View my Photos
tom

2000-08-31          19343

My two cents... I bought a TC33D with a 7308 loader and a bush hog. I really like the ability to quickly remove the loader and put it back on. I have 8 acres with about 3 in grass. I mow everything I can fit the tractor into with a finish mower (bought for my last tractor) and like the results. The bush hog has never had a problem with anything I can run over so I have not felt any lack of power.
I have never used the larger frame tractors and I bought the 33 because it was the most power in the smaller frame and I wanted the smaller frame so that I can manuver better in between the trees. For my purposes, the 33 is the biggest physical size tractor that I would want.
Having said all that, most people will tell you to get the most horsepower you can afford. So far, that has not been a problem for me. Hope that helps.
Tom

A bunch of NH questions

View my Photos
Rick Morgan

2000-09-01          19356

Thanks all for the input. I'm negotiating with the dealer for a 33D, no SS, loader, belly mower and rotary cutter, R4s, filled rears and weighted fronts. I looked at but did not drive a 35D, and felt it a bit large for a few spaces I've got and more of a challenge for my wife. I'll keep the board "posted" as to whether and where we end up. ....

A bunch of NH questions

View my Photos
Rick Morgan

2000-09-14          19794

Took delivery last week on a '33D with a 7308, 60" belly and 60" bush hog. Although I think the '35 would have been useful in some situations and was very impressed with the value it offers, I drove one enough to conclude it was just bigger than I was comfortable with. The dealer I'd been negotiating with gave me a price ultimatum--not the way I believe in negotiating--and so I went across the nearby state line (OH to KY) and bought there. Not only was the second fellow's initial price a bit better than the "bottom line" at the first store, but the dealer ballasted the R4s and included 2 50lb. "suitcase" weights at no charge--all of which was a la carte at the first shop. The equipment all was delivered in good shape, and with (all) fluids full.

Having had a Yanmar with a loader in the past, I am especially impressed with the ease of on/off of the loader (great design, IMHO), and find the bungee cord more amusing than irritating. After six or so hours, I'm pleased with the machine, both as to capacity and as to fit and finish. It's a little bit finicky going into gear ranges, but that seems to be more a matter of learning the touch than any significant problem. My initial impression re. finish mowing, however, is that it's going to take awhile--certainly into next season--to get enough of a grasp of how the tractor works on slopes to feel comfortable.

Thanks for the input, folks. ....

A bunch of NH questions

View my Photos
tom

2000-09-16          19835

Rick,
Congratulations and goodluch... Had mine out mowing today (I think I would rather be on my tractor than most things). ....

A bunch of NH questions

View my Photos
tom

2000-09-16          19836

I mean good luck! ....

A bunch of NH questions

View my Photos
DJ Vaughn

2000-09-28          20145

So what was the final cost, most important ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login