Go Bottom Go Bottom

1999 New Holland 1630 29hp Hydrostatic drive 3 speed

View my Photos
weathersteve
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-03-01          177118

I have a 1999 New Holland 1630 29hp Hydrostatic drive 3 speed with 1100 hours on it. and runs good. Is it normal for it to run out of power in low gear? When Plowing snow or dirt, skidding loggs ect I will run out of power and it will stall out. I talked to a freind who has a TC3o with Hydro Drive and he said his tractor will not run out of power and will sit there and spin until it reaches China. Is there anything I can do to gear down or increase power in this tractor?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-03-01          177122

I'd say that you have a fuel problem! Does it smoke when you have these losses of power? Probably not which would tell you that you have a fuel supply problem.

You might find a plugged fuel line but more then likely it might be the fuel filters!!!

You did say you plow snow and this means that you are in the cold so it could be with the fuel gelling and the need for anti-gel like power service if you are working in below freezing temperature.

Go simple first, with the power service if you are in the cold! ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-03-01          177126

Also check your air supply to be sure it is not restricted. ....

View my Photos
weathersteve

2011-03-01          177129

I purchased this tractor used and has been this way every since I got it. That was last Spring, which means I run it all summer also. I have skidded logs and at some point it will just run out of power, not due to the engine running poorly or spitting or sputtering. I have replaced the Fuel and air filters also. I am assumeing that there is no way to gear them down? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2011-03-02          177140

It's almost impossible to stall a hydro--first off the relief valve wll kick out. And your buddy is right, it will keep spinning to China. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-03-02          177147

Well lets back up to basics. What kind of rpms are you running? Should be near full throttle. Are you sure it is really in "Low" range or gear? With full throttle and no load does move about as fast as a turtle? How high of rpms does your tach show the engine running at full throttle?

How about other than in low range, such as driving on the road, does it loose power there in high range? ....

View my Photos
weathersteve

2011-03-02          177149

I would be running 3/4 to full throttle. I am definatly in 1rst gear. I run in 2nd a lot and will run out of power much easier, but works good for plowing in lighter snow. I have run in 3rd on the road and it goes just fine. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2011-03-02          177150

Does the engine stall or just the trans? ....

View my Photos
weathersteve

2011-03-02          177151

THE ENGINE STALLS, SOMETIMES IF i RELEASE THE HYDRO PEDAL SOON ENOUGH IT WILL RECOVER. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-03-03          177153

Weathersteve, does it vary in stalling as you use it? Will it stall any easier or not as easy the longer it is run? No idea if your tractor is four wheel drive or not but if it is does it being in four wheel drive affect it?

Backing up to Art's thoughts and my first ones: you have changed all filters, but are you 100% there is full air and fuel flow? There could be mouse or wasp nesting in the air intake; fuel flow may have restriction in it even with new filters. Think Art asked but does any color of smoke pour out the exhaust as it is stalling?

As to the 3/4 throttle position, what does that turn out to be in rpms? The first thing I would do is open up the throttle and see how that affects it. There is a recent thread here where engine rpm was discussed with a hydro transmission and you might not be given it the rpms it needs.

View my Photos
yooperpete

2011-03-03          177154

I have a 27HP Cadet with hydro having 3 ranges. Hi range is good for road travel, mowing on flat terrain and light snow removal. Mid range is used for heavy snow removal and light plowing and digging into a pile of dirt with the loader. Low range is for real heavy work, plowing with a single moldboard plow 10" deep in hard clay, digging into a solid dirt pile with the loader, etc.

Some tractors have 2 fuel line filters. When you change fuel line filters be sure to get all the air bubbles out. When changing the fuel filter within the bowl, I leave the bowl slightly loose and slowly turn the shut off "On" allowing the fuel to overflow passed the threads and o-ring seal. Once the bubbles are gone, I fully tighten it. If you have air within the fuel line past this filter, crack the line going into the engine and do the same. Wipe up the mess since diesel with stain the paintjob. I also use rubber gloves.

You may want to disconnect the fuel line going to the engine and at the fuel shut-off bowl and blow the line out to insure it isn't clogged. At that point you would repeat the above first for getting the air out of the shut-off and then bleed going to the engine.

You wouldn't by any chance have a stuck brake, causing drag. If you have a slight incline or hill, drive the tractor on the slope and put it in neutral range while the engine is idling. It should roll down by itself!

Another cause is starving starving for air. Check the filter as mentioned by others.

My tractor does not idle much below 1400 rpm. For light/medium duty use, I generally run about 1550-1700 rpm. For heavier work I run about 2200 rpm which is also the speed to run a pto at 550 rpm. Rarely do I go above that.

At 2200 rpm and low range with locked differiental, my turf tires fail me before the engine dies.

I recently had trouble and changed the fuel filter and started using a fuel additive. Seems like I got about another 25% more power. It was a slow degradation that you don't notice. My unit is a 1994 model. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2011-03-03          177156

Another thing to think of is the governer. Is it increasing fuel under load? ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2011-03-03          177159

I'm willing to bet that if you just change your fuel filter, all will be fine.

Your engine is starving for fuel. It's getting just enough fuel to keep it running, but not enough fuel to develop full power under load.

Put a new fuel filter in it. It will cost you almost nothing.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-03-03          177160

weathersteve, two have said very strongly - fuel filter and you said you had replaced the filters. You could also had or have trashed or gelled fuel in the tank and yes you replaced but the new one clogged almost as soon as it was installed. When not take the fuel line loose below the filters and see if it pours freely. If it is stalling only after it has run a while you might have a clogged vent for the fuel tank. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2011-03-03          177162

I believe the manual says to turn the fuel on for a short time when the sediment bowl is off to make sure clean fuel is running. Then you install your new filter and bleed the line. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2011-03-03          177164

I have heard of some problems with the vented cap on some NH tractors. Loosen the cap next time you run it. Make sure the snorkel going to the air filter is clear. Mine has a snorkel that gets air over the top of the radiator. It is a double wall rubber tube that clamps to the air filter box. If a person is not careful, the inner wall could collapse and block the airway when reinstalling the snorkel. ....

View my Photos
weathersteve

2011-03-04          177182

I have stalled it at full throttle also. I am not sure about smoke color, I'll have to check it out. The Air box and cleaners are definatly clear and clean. I'm not positive about a fuel restriction, although usually that will cause the engine to run erratically. I wonder if there is any way to get more throttle,possibly. I'm going to have to get out and run some more and take some notes on engine response. ....

View my Photos
weathersteve

2011-03-04          177183

How would you check the governer. I really have not noticed it increasing the rpm under load? ....

View my Photos
weathersteve

2011-03-04          177184

It is something I will do as I was going to replace this spring anyway. It was this way when I got the tractor and it didn't change when I put the new fuel filter in last spring. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2011-03-04          177185

The governer is there to maintain RPM, not raise RPM. When you increase the load on the engine, the governer will increase fuel to maintain a constant RPM. Many engines, including push mowers, lawn and garden tractors, snow blowers, and up to giant tractors have a governer to maintain engine speed. The governer will sense engine RPM and throttle setting, then will adjust carb throttle or diesel pump output. ....

View my Photos
weathersteve

2011-03-04          177186

my releif valve does no kick out, the engine will just work hard then quit. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-03-28          177654

If it's slowing under the hand throttle, can you overcome it by giving more foot throttle? ....

View my Photos
weathersteve

2011-03-28          177657

No, the only way to keep it from stalling is backing off the foot pedal quickly or that is whn it stalls. I still have not put new filters in yet as i haven't had time and also it has been to cold out to tinker with it. Soon I hope! ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-03-29          177679

Then I guess it has to be air (in or out) or fuel. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2011-03-29          177681

That's a good point...if the muffler is plugged by carbon, rust, or a loose baffle, it would have those same symptems. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login