Go Bottom Go Bottom

I m so confused Kubota Boomer JD Hydro Standard

View my Photos
Andy K
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-03-10          1640

I'm no expert - If I was I wouldn't be asking these very basic questions - so go easy - I don't know the "lingo"I'm trying to decide on a tractor. The first question was new or used... After looking at the resale on the name brands I would think that new is a reasonable way to go -- opinions?I looked at 2 new Kubotas a leftover 2900 with power shift and a loader @ $16,500 or a 3010 hydro w/ loader for $17,500I looked at the TC29 boomer with standard trans and loader for $15,300.. I didn't get a specific price for the hydro option - they just said about $2k - I understand that the pto isn't live unless you get the hydro, and that this is important?The only JD I Looked at was the 790 (795?), it was 10,900 for the tractor plus loader but it was standard trans and seemed smaller than I was looking for. What would be the comparable model to the Kubota and NH? What would Pricing be?The possibility exists that I could sell this tractor within a couple of years. I want this weighed in to the equation when I ask whether or not Hydro is worth the premium.I mostly would be doing some bush hogging, possibly finish mowing, light loader work. Not real hard on the tractor.So there you go, my dilemma. How is the pricing I'm receiving? advice? HELP!AndyAndy

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos

1999-03-11          1641

Welcome to the confused compact tractor buying board!!Sit down and try to compare apples to apples. ....

View my Photos

1999-03-11          1642

I've been going through a similar analysis and I can share what I've found:1. This is a great site for information; go back through previous postings and you will learn a lot. As near as I can determine, most everybody who has bought any of the three you mentioned like what they got. The Kubota 3010 has (or had) an issue with bogging down at full throttle in high, but most people don't even get in that situation. The early Boomers had a "smoking problem" at start-up, but that appears to be fixed. The 790 is a higher HP version of the old 770, and does real well for what you pay for.2. The Boomer and 3010 are totally different animals from the 790. It depends on what you're going to use it for. The 790 does not offer hydro and has a much lower capacity for loader size/lifting capacity and rear hydraulic power.The Boomer and 3010 are more similar to the JD400 series; I believe the 3010TC29D are most similar to a JD4300. The hydros appear best for people who areeither (a) going to be doing a lot of loader work and needing to changedirections a lot; or (b) novices who want the easier to handle type of trans.These newer models, hydro or not, seem to have more "idiot proof" features as well, apparently to keep the "boomers" from doing much harm to themselves ortheir equipment.3. The JD 790 is a good, basic tractor priced at the low end for a tractor ofits HP. I do not believe Kubota or NH have anything similar. They both wentfor the bigger hydraulics/open platform models which forced JD to come out with the 4000 series.4. Your prices are similar to what I've seen. ....

View my Photos
jim

1999-03-11          1651

If you may sell it in just a few years why buy new? As you see tractors don't deprieciate like cars but the fact is they do lose value over a 2-3 year period. If you buy used and keep it in good shape, good chance you will sell it for what you paid(or very close to it). Buying used probably gets you the loader and mower(or something) for free. Good luck. ....

View my Photos

1999-03-11          1654

I went through the same thing.Question: If you are doing light brushhogging and loader work why do you thinkthat the 790 is too small? Why do you plan on only having it for 2-3years?I just got a JD4100 gear with loader. I wanted a Loader and price was a major factor.I PERSONALLY did not care for the Kubota's, and Ford/NH did not have competition withJD's 4100. I considered getting a Hydro, until I test drove a gear. VERY easy to operate! I might suggest you test drive. I have not had a chance for any PTOwork yet, but this seems to have all the power I could use, especially for theprice. It is a nice little tractor, and I expect the Boomers and the new model Kubota's are too. Any dealer will let you test drive, take them up on it.Good luck! ....

View my Photos

1999-03-11          1665

What are you planning to do with the beast? If you are a little more particular, folks here will definately help. I don't own any of the three brands (own something different), so I won't get into merits. However, it seems the JD is a class of tractor different from the other two. You say "lighter" types of tasks. That might point toward the JD for the sheer fact just to save money and you'd be suprised what something of that size machine can do. Just elaborate a bit more. People here won't bum steer you. (maybe talk up their "color" a bit, ).I drove hydro alot years ago and find that they are real good for continous motion tasks where speed and direction change are frequent. Loader and certain mower (particularly finishing) work comes to mind. Be careful the breaks are not on the same foot as the throttle peddle. Some of people find them easier to drive as the "gas peddle" is more like driving a car.Geared tractors are generally stonger in the arena of heavy pulling and where constant speed/torque comes to play. However certain transmission types make direction changing work (loader) just as easy as hydro. I currently drive a gear tractor for the land clearing tasks I have it on.Hope this helps,Lee ....

View my Photos
Andy

1999-03-11          1667

. ....

View my Photos

1999-03-14          1704

Kubota is hard to beat on resale , boomer only has 9" ground clearance the JD is not in the same class. when looking look at pto hoursepower that is how the big boys rate them. the gross horsepower ratings are nonuseable I think fiat or ford started selling this way. How many people are going to operate this tractor? do they know how to shift a gear drive? do you want to listen to the gears graiting? How much do you need to lift? How much work do you have for the tractor? Why would any one get rid of there tractor if it was easy to operate and did the job? I hope I asked you enough question's so you can answer for yourself if you want or need more help send a note. These are some of the questions I ask my customers when they ask me about compacts. I sell case-ih kubota cub cadet and New holland have for over 25 years ....

View my Photos
Scaper

1999-03-14          1720

Hey Mr. dealer try 14 inches of ground clearance on the Boomer. Only the very small units have 10.2 inches of clearance thats the 18 and 21 HP tractors. If your a dealer let me know where you are so I can stay away from your shop. Only my opinion. ....

View my Photos
Lee Jarvie

1999-04-14          2851

I've been looking into a small compact for some time now. I'm leaning towards the JD over the Kubota because of price in the area (Kubota wants $3,500 more for a slightly used B2100 compared to a new 4100). But I haven't been able to find anything about a New Holland equivalent to these tractors. Is there one, what is the model and is there a picture of one on the Internet I can see. My closest NH dealer is a ways away, so I probably won't make it to them right away, but I'm interested to see what they have.Lee ....

View my Photos
JOE

1999-07-07          5809

One thing that I found about the 4100 gear is that it does NOT have "Live PTO".With the HST, you get Live PTO. So if you want put on a belly mower, every timeyou engage the clutch, the mower will stop. Hope this will help. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login