Go Bottom Go Bottom

Electrically Dead NH 1530

View my Photos
captsteve
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-13          146917

After changing battery in my New Holland 1530, I tried to start it and it gave one quick surge then went completely dead electrically.

I checked the fuses in the panel on the right side of the firewall as well as the single fuse in the connector on the left side. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, after checking the fuses on the right side, I noticed some blank spaces. I think I got them back in correctly, but not sure. Anyone know which ones are needed and what amps?

Thanks,
Grass growin' I ain't mowin'

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-10-13          146918

Sounds too simple- are you absolutely sure that the leads on the new battery are tight?

Also, what was the problem you were having with your old battery? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-13          146919

You might double check the ground. If the ground is disconnected or loose everything would be dead. It's also not unheard of for a new battery to be bad so measure the battery voltage across the battery. If it's good, measure it again while trying to crank it over. If it drops very far the battery is probably bad or way undercharged. Have you tried to jump it? ....

View my Photos
captsteve

2007-10-13          146921

I was on the way out when I had the problem, so couldn't try to jump it. Connections are tight. I didn't even get any lights on the console after it went dead. I'll recheck the connections tomorrow. I found a parts list on line and didn't see any more hidden fuses.

Old battery was simply old.

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-13          146924

I've had a similar things happen on my TC33D. Turns out I was bumping the key to OFF with my knee. D-u-h!

Seriously though, my fue holder was caked ful of dust and the fuses were corroded. Took all of them out, cleaned the holder and the fues and works now.

Also the fuse on the left, if it's like mine, kept blowing. Now I use a small hair pin/hitch pin as a jumper. Since I leave it sitting out on jobs, I'll remove the pin as a extra security against someone driving it away. You might want to try the jumper idea---mine gets quite warm even the way it is being solid steel--let alone being a fuse. ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-10-13          146927

Again I keep thinking "too simple"- like earthworks knee comment. I have a feeling when you figure this one out your not going to want to brag about it- but hopefully it is a laughing matter. ....

View my Photos
captsteve

2007-10-14          146954

Believe me, I know I am going to feel like no rocket scientist when I figure this out. To think that about 40 years ago I used to actually fool around with my own cars. Seems I forgot all I ever knew. What you don't use, well, you know.

Initially when it went dead, even instrument cluster was dead. After sitting over night, it woke up. Another try ended up dead again. After a while, the lights came back.
After church today, it jump started, but as soon as I disconnect cables, she dies. Bad alternator and bad battery?

By the way guys, I appreciate the help.

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-10-14          146959

I would be looking for something that might have killed your last battery and is giving you the problem now. I like both those paths you suggested- could you take the battery off the vehicle you used for the jump start to see if it will run the tractor for a little bit? ....

View my Photos
captsteve

2007-10-14          146968

This afternoon I took off the alternator. I will be taking it to be checked tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find.
Thanks again.
Till tomorrow............. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-16          147029

An easy test for a alternator being bad (on a gas engine anyway) is disconnect the battery while the engine is running. If it quits, the alt. is bad. ....

View my Photos
captsteve

2007-10-16          147035

Yep,
That's exactly what I did. By the way, an auto mechanic I know said that on newer (cars, not necessarily tractors), you still need an excitability voltage for the alternator to work, and therefore engine dying after battery disconnect isn't necessarily proof of bad alternator. For what it's worth.

Had the alt checked and it is bad. Have a guy seeing if he can repair it. Will keep you posted.
thanks again ....

View my Photos
captsteve

2007-10-17          147077

Mystery solved. Got the alternator back from the shop today. ($50 vs $281 for a new one.) Reinstalled it and it works fine.

Thanks again for the suggestions and happy mowing. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-17          147079

The theory behind the alt being bad and disconnecting it is that there is enough residual power before the battery was disconnected (becuase the alt was already turning) that it keeps making enough power to power the ignition. Hopefully I haven't got my proverbial wires crossed on this one.

Please feel free to correct me on this one! Uh-oh I can see it now! ....

View my Photos
Boomer1530

2007-11-09          148029

I need to replace my battery on my 1530 (battery won't hold a charge; and it's 10 years old). I've had a number of problems with it corroding on the terminals throughout the years. It's garage-kept and only used on my little farmette property (5 acres), so I'm diappointed with its quality/design. My question is whether it's worth the ~$90 that my dealer is quoting me to get a new battery (Part #: F920DSW).
Any suggestions on whether to get a NH battery, a Tractor Supply battery, or other??? ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-09          148032

Boomer1530,

Ten years on a single battery isn't bad at all. I have a New Holland battery in my Kubota, and it has performed well. (My New Holland dealer is just one mile from me.)

Due to the severe winters we have here in North Dakota, I don't expect my battery to last 10 years. The most I've ever gotten out of ANY battery, is 5 years.

I do recommend putting some grease on the battery terminals, when you replace your battery. This will help prevent the corrosion that takes place. It will also make it much easier for you to loosen the terminals when you do regular battery maintenance.

Joel ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login