Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rim Guard

View my Photos
wny770
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-02-04          139531

Want to weight down the rear of my TZ25DA. I was told rim guard will not eat the rims as calcium does.....Or should i buy a weight box???

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rim Guard

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-04          139533

Correct, RimGuard is non-corrosive to ferrous metals. I'm told it's processed beet juice. I assume you want more rear weight to counterbalance a FEL. If the loader stays on the tractor permanently, I'd ballast the tires. If the loader comes off regularly, I'd go with TPH ballast.

//greg// ....

Rim Guard

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-04          139545

Those tires are so small you gain very little by filling them. Calcium is no longer used to fill tires with. Most places will use an ethanol solution. ....

Rim Guard

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-02-05          139550

I disagree Ace.

NH says the tractor weighs 1320 pounds. The loader frame adds 375 pounds, the four foot bucket is another 199 pounds empty. Together that 574 pounds represent more than a 43% increase in weight, I'm guessing at least half of which will be biased toward the front.

I don't know the exact tire size, but let's assume 26x12x12 turfs. 10 gallons of water would be a 70% fill; 83 pounds per tire. RimGuard specific gravity is 1.29, meaning it would add 107 pounds per tire. So 20 gallons of RimGuard represents 214 pounds in the rear to counter that 199 pound empty bucket and more.

That said, NH also sells wheel weights for the TZ series

//greg// ....

Rim Guard

View my Photos
Art White

2007-02-05          139580

Tony, we are still to heavy with calcium here in the northeast but we are making headway to lighter is better. Loaders is where it is used the most but other wise wheel weights and three point ballast is the most recommended over filling tires and sacrificing traction and overall performance for ballast.
Funny thing today as with moving tractors we found one with to much water that was frozen! ....

Rim Guard

View my Photos
oneace

2007-02-05          139582

I used to see trades that the tires would freeze in the winter. You know it happens all the time. Farmers are cheap.

As far as the TZ. I have seen them with filled tires when I was working with them every day. Price vs. benefit is very very small. ....

Rim Guard

View my Photos
Art White

2007-02-06          139591

There are differnces in the long run with filled tires vs non-filled. With the larger ag tires used in farming it was a normal of 1,500 to 2,000 hours max on filled tires. With unfilled often lighter tractors go 3,000 to 5000 hours on the same tire. I'm assuming it would be the same on any tractor tread style. There was testing done years ago that showed how bad a filled tire was compared to other forms of ballast. For the most part you could run ten percent lighter with out filled tires and pull the same. I know compacts aren't out there pulling all day but just moving the more weight you have to move all the time the more fuel you will comsume doing your chores. The more weight you have to move the more it costs! ....

Rim Guard

View my Photos
reason201

2007-02-08          139653

Sounds like the key to filling tires vs. not filling is the size of the tractor and the tires. On my JD 4710 I have the R4 tirs and was able to gain about 1000 lb. of weight. On smaller tractors and tires it sounds like adding external weights be it wheel weights or 3 pt ballast and possibly chains is the way to go. I went with the Rim Guard product because I did not want to deal with the corrosive nature of calcium chloride. Yes the Rim Guard costs more but not as much as a new set of wheels.

I guess it is universal, we all want our smaller machines to dig and pull like the big ag tractors and that just won't happen. All we can do is weight them down and give them all the help we can.

Best of luck wyn770

Rim Guard

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-02-08          139657

It seems here, if it is ag tires on an ag tractor they are filled. Probably not 100% true, but how is a person to really know if they need the tires filled if they don't test the tractor doing the job(s) they want it to? I know when you at talking buying a tractor they will ask if you want the tires filled and with what before they give you a price. Can understand they want to fill them at dealership versus in the field. Makes me think a lot get filled that may not need it. From what little I know it seems if the tractor is doing heavy pulling especially on dirt, fill the tires for traction. ....

Rim Guard

View my Photos
Chief

2007-02-08          139666

In most if not all cases, if a FEL is installed; significant extra ballast weight is nearly always required. The cheapest and most cost effective means of achieving this is filling the tires. Wheel weights or a rear 3 pt. hitch mounted counter weight will work well but have their draw backs such as cost with wheel weights or occupying a needed hitch mount in the case of a weight box. ....

Rim Guard

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-02-08          139670

On mid size JD CUTs the ballast tables in the manual for loader equipped machines all require loaded tires. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login