Go Bottom Go Bottom

How to disconnect seat sensor

View my Photos
davidleeti
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-08-05          133011

Hey guys, Just got a TC45DA and I need to figure out how to disconnect the seat sensor. If not I am going to need a new starter soon for as much as I jump off the seat. Any suggestions?

-Dave

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-05          133013

Can't you just disengage the pto when getting out of the seat? ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-06          133014

Unplug it and put in a jumper wire. Do not cut it. The dealers can not return it to you if it is not working.

Mine has been disconnected since day one and rehooked twice and the friggin PITA PTO shield is removed also. What a PITA to hook stuff up with a half dozen bullet proof shields. Most shields are removed.

It just seems safer to me turning something by hand to hook up rather than turn it with power trying to catch a spline.

When mowing I only bring tractor to idle with PTO running to move an obstruction or open a gate.

The PTO log winch is only operated from the ground.
Old PTO log splitter from the ground.
The generator.

Many other things that operate with out an operator in the seat. Making a jumper wire the choice of options. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-06          133023

Harvey, not sure if your 4400 is different but on the 4310 you can start and run pto driven equipment out of the seat. I've done this a bunch with a 3 point chipper. To do so you need to engage the pto when you're off the seat. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-08-06          133024

On my TC33D I used have the same issue---then one day it stopped happening. Turns out it was the coil spring that lifts the seat when you get off, it broke.

Some newer machines other than tractors have a computer that prevents this so you have to get off the seat and try again.

What you might want to do is just install a hidden toggle switch somewhere that would allow you to do what you want to do AND act as theft deterrent when its in a different position.

I know guys who have done this on their older Ford trucks using a crusie control button or other switch to prevent engine starting. ....

View my Photos
davidleeti

2006-08-06          133032

No, the seat sensor shuts off the engine even when th pto is not engaged. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-06          133036

I don't know the tractors you are talking about but a thought hit me from my ztr and wonder if it could apply to your tractor.

There is a combo of park brake and controls that does allow the blade to run with you off the seat because the mower can not be moved. Wonder if that could be true on your tractor? Such as out of grear and park brake set?

No doubt you have asked and read your manual. I am not sure the info for my mower was in the manual or the dealer just happened to tell me. ....

View my Photos
Gearhead

2006-08-08          133122

Rear pto will run if , trans is in neutral and parking brake set. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-08-09          133142

Setting the parking brake will keep the engine running. ....

View my Photos
davidleeti

2006-08-11          133197

I can't find the plug under the seat. Do you know where it is located?

-Dave ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-08-11          133198

Lift the seat forward, look for a cone-shaped coil spring at the rear of the seat support mounting plate. The switch will be loacted eiher in the center of the spring or to the side of it. The wire haness conncets directly to the switch. Voila! ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-08-19          133501

BTW,Did you read about the fella who owned a tree service buisness in my town.This week he went thru a chipper,the reverse safety was disconnected. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-08-19          133502

Leave your seat safety switch alone. If you get tossed from the seat or for some reason, your tractor wont keep running and maybe wont run thru my daughters bedroom wall killing her and my dog!
Use the parking brake to get on and off. It gets to be second nature after a few times and you can do it with your foot in about 2 seconds flat. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-08-19          133504

I second that post. The only reason to disconnect it is because you are to freaking LAZY to do thing the right way. In this case laziness can kill. ....

View my Photos
bloggins

2006-08-20          133514

Please, please, please do not answer posts of people wanting to circumvent safety devices. TP is meant to help, not kill! Those devices were put in place because history has shown that tractor accidents were caused by inattentiveness to operation. Let's not tell people how to remove their ROPS or 3Pt PTO covers! Please! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-08-20          133516

I don't agree. Safety items are an evolving thing---just like guards were on iron-age machines.

For years I used to write and illustrate the owners manuals that go in your new car, and service manuals the technicians use. The biggest thing that drives all the Cautions and Danger statements is one thing: the risk of being sued for your stupidity; the executives in their glass offices couldn't care less if you lose limb or life. You would be surprised how much in a vehicle could be designed into it for safety, and that costs money. But the exec's have their bonuses and they would rather risk your safety than their bonus. Or in some cases they produce something that is totally illegal to possess in 13 states and they produce it anyway (case in point: the entertainment systems commonly seen in GM minivans)

There is nothing wrong with removing a PTO cover if it makes the job eaiser and quicker.

DISCLAIMER: NO ONE ELSE operates my equipment. If I decide to circumvent something and there is minimal detremental effect on my safety it will be at my risk no one else's.

I have a brand new New Holland skid steer that I wasn't able to use (Read: pay my $500 a month note on) because they just couldn't produce a machine that had reliable electronics and switches so I could use it---the seat switch wires which go up and down broke. Yet the dealer couldn't figure it out. So before you cry the "sky's falling, the sky's falling" maybe put some thought and consideration it your reply that perhaps the guy who is stuck with a machine that either isn't designed or produced right might have intimate knowledge of the workings of that machine.

View my Photos
oneace

2006-08-20          133523

The only safety item that I have very strong feelings about is the operators presence system. Shielding an such I really don't care. You can be the best operator in the world and all it takes is one time of instability or bump and you are run over. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-08-20          133532

That's the same system I'm talking about on mine, right? As to my comment about bad design on my SS, at the time I got mine NH didn't do their homework when it came to using a backhoe attachment which requires the operator to be out of the SS seat. Someone wrongly figured you could keep on going with a backhoe att. like they always did. As far as running myself over, how would that happen if I'm using a seat belt? (I also have a enclosed cab) ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-08-28          133755

Earthwrks
The post was this,
"""Hey guys, Just got a TC45DA and I need to figure out how to disconnect the seat sensor. If not I am going to need a new starter soon for as much as I jump off the seat. Any suggestions?"""

It sure sounded like instead of pulling the parking brake (setting) so he could get on and off he just wanted to disconnect for his conveinance. My comments were just for informational purposes only. Not everyone knows or thinks about these dangers till its too late? Remember your comment on the kid going thru the chipper? Alot could happen to a machine free wheeling with no brake on???
I could care less about him (or the person disconecting it) Like you said, its his own decision. What I care about is my daughter driving down the road and his tractor pulling into the street as she passes. He is dead on his driveway from trying to stop it as it rolled down that slight decline and then picking up speed and killing my daughter. Thats what I care about.

To disconnect it look for the funnel shaped spring under your seat, there you find your sensor. Disconnect it and then call your homeowners insurance and increase her to a million bucks.
You may never need "either one" but its good to have just incase! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-08-28          133757

Broken: (smiling now) Here, take these tweezers and pull that wild hair out of...

Just wait until you get that NH skid steer and every time you start it you have to pull 10 times on f---- seat belt retractor to get it work---you'll figure out a way around it becasue the retractors are garbage (they're designed for delivery trucks that never see dirt or dust---the warranty instructions showed what they're intended for).

Seriously though, there is no comparison using a chipper and driving tractor; not even apples to hubcaps. The DA is hydro and as such is self-braking. Yeah, it will creep a bit but its not going to "free wheel" and take off on you no more than a skid steer will. (Why don't motorcycles--or cars---have deadman switches?) As far as insurance goes I have no clue how that works--I carry 2M biz. liability so homeowners doesn't come into play for my situation (like when my adpopted 5 yr. old niece who was sitting on my lap ran over her dog---DOH! I could see it was going to happen one day or another as the dog chases everything that moves. Dad said if I hit 'em, I hit 'em don't worry about it. Well he did worry about it when the vet charged him $700 to set his leg)). At least in MI, if you have a "farm" OSHA regulations don't even apply. Similarly, because I'm a sole-proprietor OSHA rules don't apply to me either---like wearing a seat belt, ear protection, etc.. Now, if I were an S Corporation, then ALL OSHA rules apply to me, and can be enforced. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-08-28          133762

Earth. On the skid steer. If you look at the four buttons that control your lights and parking brake. The lower right button (that has a picture out an unlocked lock) is used to allow you to exit the seat while you aux. hyds. is running. What you do is engage the lever then push the button on the board then you can get out of the seat with the machine running. Your dealer should have explained that to you. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-08-28          133763

On the seat belt in the skid loader. If you put your hand under the lower retractor you will find the release button toward the front of the device just push it when you are trying to pull it out and it disengages the lock. ....

View my Photos
boomerman

2006-10-05          135738

can you email me with more specifics on how to unplug and run jumper wire so this damn tractor will remain running?

thanks a bunch! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-10-06          135740

Boomer, I think, as with most CUT's, if you set the parking brake first the engine will not shut off when you get out of the seat.

I'm sure there would be a mention of the procedure in your owner's manual.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login