Go Bottom Go Bottom

Need suggestion input for NH TC33D sun canopy

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-22          129696

I need some input on a hard sunshade or canopy for my NH TC33D. Price, quality and durability are priorities. I'm not too interested in the diamond plate aluminum ones.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-22          129699

Here is the supplier of OEM canopies for New Holland. From New Holland the were around $400 about a year ago. In my opinion they are pretty sturdy. The only way you are going to get any stronger is steel. ....

Link:   Canopy link

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-05-22          129700

The local JD dealer sells Firebird fiberglass canopies and claims to have good luck with them. They might be the OEM supplier for JD as well, not sure. They looked mighty good to me. I wanted one to keep my noggin dry in the rain but figure no canopy would survive all the tree limbs I crash into. I have heard the Firebird will sell seconds (flaws in the finish) at a good savings. It may not hurt to see if they have any seconds if you call 'em. ....

View my Photos
kskwash
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-22          129707

I bought the diamond plate aluminum top, and have had great luck with it. I have hit many limbs while mowing, and do not have a dent in it yet. I had a fiberglass top, and it lasted about 3 hits from some smaller limbs, and it shattered on me. I paid $350 last summer form the NH dealer by me. It took about 30 min to install, and it was a one man job. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-05-22          129708

How much did the diamond plate canopy raise your vertical height? I have about 1.5" clearance between the ROPS and the garage header. ....

View my Photos
kskwash

2006-05-22          129710

It added 3 inches to my total vertical height. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-05-22          129711

Looks like my noggin will remain wet. Thanks, kskwash, for the info. Sorry to hijack your thread earthwrks! ....

View my Photos
lundie

2006-05-23          129715

I just installed a Tufftop fiberglass canopy on my TC29D. While not a true hardtop, it’s much better than the umbrella type. For $200, it works perfect. It is easy to put to together, has an adjustable tilt angle and removes in seconds. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-23          129728

From experience, I can tell you without any hesitation, fiberglass or poly sunshade canopies do NOT like tree branches or travelling on trailers.

Both of those items significantly shorten their life spans.

The steel ones are not so bad, but still not perfect.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-23          129733

Price, quality and durability are priorities.

First listed is price so going there:
Plywood. Cost is low enough you can afford to replace as needed.
Lexan, and if really like low cost, DOT sign.

If you don't like the diamond tread, find a shop that cuts their own metal and have one cut from what you want and place angle iron or other metal under it for support. I don't find the fiberglass as hot as the metal. But you can insulate any. I do agree with Murf on trees. Metal holds up much better there. It normally will just bend, rather than bust.
You will want it to slope towards the rear. Pouring rain onto hood is not much fun. If you have back hoe you may need to do other.

View my Photos
Peters

2006-05-23          129735

Curtis sell a soft top. They manufacture a PE top for the Gator, seems like this would be a good solution if they sprang for a mold. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-24          129789

Thanks all for your input.
This "Yankee boy" working in Miss. on the Gulf has been baking in the sun (man! the sun even penetrates my leather gloves) the for the past two days grading. And they tell this anin't nuthin' (gee, I can't wait) I think I'm going for the New Holland-branded one made by Firebird. It's got a very sexy, car-like shape which echoes the Boomer styling. And due to a spoiler-looking hump in the rear it sits much lower down on the roll bar. It's more than I want to pay but it's made for the machine and talking with the owner of Firebird, he says it's made of Kevlar-like material and Fiberglas mesh. He says that "if it ever blows off while trailering he will give me two new ones that's how confident he is that I shouldn't have any problems". Guess I'm sold! Hmmm, now where did I leave the "plastic"... ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-24          129794

From one "Yankee" to another, I can relate to what you say, I've been 'baked' in more states than I care to recall, although some of my employees would tell you I'm 'half-baked' all the time, LOL.

Tip 'o the day time again.

If you want your canopy to last, always try to trailer your machine facing backwards. That way the long, unsupported end is pointed downwind, not flapping in the breeze.

If you stick around there for long, I might run into you, we have bid on the rebuild of 6 golf courses down there, chances are we get at least one of them. If I do I know where to find a good sub-contractor, LOL.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
SURRYEQUIP

2006-10-31          136448

where can I get the diamond plate top? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-10-31          136451

I see you're in Virginny---I have one for sale that the mfg. sent that wasn't in perfect shape when it arrived. $75 takes it. You'll need to make or buy brackets. I paid somewhere around $575 for the new one. I'm on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi if you're in the 'hood

I'd think twice about the aluminum one for two reasons: the sun's radiation will soak the aluminum and will radiate heat toward your head, and more importantly the sound from the engine will bounce much, much more off that flat plate than the fiberglass, which is considerable but tolerable once you get used to it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login