Go Bottom Go Bottom

NH TC40 won t start

View my Photos
farmhand
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-02          115871

I have a NH TC40 with roughly 390 hours. When I tried to start it today it acted as though the battry was dead- the starter made some noise, but did not turn the engine over. I added water to the battery and charged it. The lights work great, but the starter will not make a sound. To my knowledge, all of the levers and cutout switches are in the right position. What do I do to get it to start?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

NH TC40 won t start

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-02          115873

I'd take the battery somewhere and have it load tested. It's entirely possible for it to measure 12.6 volts and run the lights but not be able to supply the current required under load. ....

NH TC40 won t start

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-03          115874

Check your connections at the battery terminals and ensure your ground cable has a clean solid connection. I am inclined to believe that the battery may be the culprit as Ken has already eluded to. ....

NH TC40 won t start

View my Photos
Art White

2005-09-03          115882

YOu do have some life in the battery and a good set of cables to try a jump start would help tell you if it is the battery or maybe another problem. Grounds often need to be cleaned on both ends! ....

NH TC40 won t start

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-03          115884

If your connections all checked out good and you tried a known good battery with the same results. Try checking your fuses. As I recall New Hollands of this variety have an issue with blowing a fuse periodically and there is a retro-fix that installs a 10 amp circuit breaker. ....

NH TC40 won t start

View my Photos
Peters

2005-09-03          115886

I hope you got all that: to recap.
1) Check your connections to the battery. Both ends need to be good. Specifically check the grounds connection to tractor.
2) Check your fuses. If the battery was low and you held the switch on you may have popped a fuse. 2nd hand thinks there is a fuse retro. Look back under the TC35-45 posts. I also recall something.
3) See if it starts.
4) Jump the battery with another. If it starts take tractor battery in to test. See Kens 1 st post.
5) If it still does not start. Check starter solenoid. Then check the starter.

NH TC40 won t start

View my Photos
farmhand

2005-09-03          115892

I have found the thing that is preventing it from starting. The manual states that the #2 fuse slot is supposed to have an 8 amp circuit breaker in it. It had a 7.5 amp fuse, and the fuse was blown. My only question now is it supposed to have an 8 amp circuit breaker, as shown in the book, or is it supposed to be a 10 amp circuit breaker, as some of the posts to this forum seem to suggest?
Thanks to all who responded anyway, it kept me going until I got to where the problem has at least been defined, now it can be fixed. ....

NH TC40 won t start

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-03          115893

Glad to hear that you got her up and running. Check with your dealer about the 10 amp circuit breaker. I am sure Oneace will jump in here and clarify what exactly is the case. ....

NH TC40 won t start

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-09-03          115897

Glad you found the trouble. Good call, Randy! ....

NH TC40 won t start

View my Photos
oneace

2005-09-05          115949

On that frame it is an 8amp in place of the 7.5 amp fuse.

On the smaller 33 and 29 it is a 10 amp breaker in place of the 10 amp fuse. ....

NH TC40 won t start

View my Photos
farmhand

2005-09-05          115955

Thanks for the information. I will get an 8 amp breaker and that should be the end of the sproblem. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login