Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Holland recall

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-27          105061

I just got my certified letter today that I had to sign for. Dear new Holland customer Our records show you own a TC40DA
There is a potential safetey concern that a component malfunction in the PTO brake may result in loss of PTO brake function. This could result in great bodily injury or death. To eliminate this conscern, your New Hollend tractor dealer will remove and replace the brake stop plate.
DO NOT OPERATE THE PTO ON THIS TRACTOR
We are asking that you contact your dealer and arrange to have this improvement made to your unit free of charge.
Failure to folow this warning may result in injury or death!
To qualify for free parts and labor under campaign 000250 please contact your new holland dealer imediatley. If you no longer own this machine please advise your dealer who does.
We believe this will improve the performance of your tractor and ask that you contact the dealer as soon as possible.

OK I Paraphrased some of it but most is verbatem.
What do you all think? This must be pretty serious if they sent it out certified and a signature was needed? I have a 90 mile drive to get to the dealer, not bad but far enough to take up 2 days. 1 to get there and have them work on it and one to get it back.
How about the guys who bought their tractor from a OUT OF STATE dealer that may be hundreds or thousands of miles away? You think many LOCAL dealers will offer to pick up the extra work???
So I take it, that this sounds like at any time the brake on the pto can disengage and the pto can start? Sound about right?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New Holland recall

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-27          105069

"How about the guys who bought their tractor from a OUT OF STATE dealer that may be hundreds or thousands of miles away? You think many LOCAL dealers will offer to pick up the extra work???"

Since this is a safety recall, I'd bet NH dealers wouldn't have a choice. That is if they want to continue to be a NH dealer. Companies take this kind of stuff pretty serious. ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-01-27          105071

I'm sure any close dealer will take care of your problem probably including pick up and delivery, NH is'nt going to take a chance on a tractor with a safetry hazzard being on the loose. Warantys can be decieving now and then, for example the waranty on the furnace in the house we live in. I'll be the first to admit I did'nt read the fine print in the warranty statement. I just assumed that 5 year waranty meant parts and labor, in reallity within 2 years the dealer called that they were coming to install a new heat exchanger that the originals posed a safety hazzard. The service people came installed the exchanger and a week or so later I get a big fat labor bill so called the dealer. He simply said read your warranty, it doesn't include labor only parts, too bad send the money. I did, but I sure won't buy from him again. I guess we just trust people a bit too far sometimes. Frank. ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-27          105076

Yes our dealership is one of the ones that have brought this up.

You do not have to worry too much though. What is happening is people trying to shut down the pto at full speed with out idling down the tractor first and the big shock load is transfered to the pto brake.

It is also about a 10 hour job to replace the brake. ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-01-27          105092

What do you mean? can you elaborate?
Thanks ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
oneace

2005-01-28          105127

on which part? ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-28          105139

I think they would have sent out the same fancy notice if the seat safety switch was recalled. The only way it really poses a risk is if it fails at the same time that you turn off the pto and then fall into some pto implement that is still turning, or someone gets tangled and you try to shut it off quick. If you fell off the tractor the engine would shut off and pto would have to stop anyway with the engine. I would really have to put a lot of thought into wasting 2 days for that recall. ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-01-28          105140

You do not have to worry too much though. What is happening is people trying to shut down the pto at full speed with out idling down the tractor first and the big shock load is transfered to the pto brake.

Also, If it is a 10 hour job, I assume they have to split the tractor? If this is the case, I would think a guy might want to go to his dealer and not just any dealer he may not know to much about? Could a guy be opening up a can of worms by allowing the tractor to have this done to it? I realize that qualified and well trained mechanics would have no problems but, when ever you split a tractor apart well you know? ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
oneace

2005-01-28          105151

Let me put you at a little bit of ease. Who ever is doing your repair has gone though all training and yours will 9 out of 10 will not be the first that he has done. The majority of the time involved is removing and installing the operator's platform. The actual splitting of the tractor and putting back together only takes about 6 hours. that includes pulling the guts putting in the beefed up brake AND PTO clutch pack. To also say you are going to get a PTO clutch that is much stronger than the existing. Yes it will be at least two days but it is worth it and it will cost you nothing. ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-01-29          105197

Sold!!!! Thanks Oneace for the reasurance. Although you have not sold me on just any dealer. I will take the time to bring it to the dealer I bought it from. Although I have no knowlege of the mechanics there, I do know how they run a buisness. Also they not only have just a tractor buisness they also have 3 other locations that have logging equipment and construction equipment. Although that does not concern me, my buddy is a logger and he is the one that turned me on to this company. Has had nothing but good experiances and so far I can not say any different either.
One other thing. Since I had a small amount of hyd. fluid on the ground under the tractor when I used it last. I might as well have them take care of that also under warrenty. I was going to look inot it myself this spring but I can kill tow birds now with one stone.
Hey thanks again Oneace ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
oneace

2005-02-01          105377

I took the time to actually look over what they are going to replace. They say it is only a 1.5 hour job and no splitting of the tractor needed. Well I say they are full of $hit. It takes that long just the get the deck off. They are basically taking a 1/4" plate and replacing it with a 3/8" plate. I am not a very happy camper with this one. ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
kdsrgone

2005-02-01          105379

Oneace - any idea on the serial number range or mfg date involved in the recall? Took delivery of mine this past June, but haven't received a letter yet. ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
oneace

2005-02-01          105380

Only the DA and A series tractors are affected. If you have one of these tractors call your dealer whether you got a letter or not. ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
kdsrgone

2005-02-01          105381

Oneace -TC40DA purchased from the dealership where you work. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

New Holland recall

View my Photos
oneace

2005-02-01          105383

You bought one from us and you live in New York? How long ago? ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
kdsrgone

2005-02-01          105384

Sorry, forgot to update profile. Moved from NY to South Central PA in June '04, bought early July. ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
oneace

2005-02-02          105424

Which store did you buy from? ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
kdsrgone

2005-02-02          105428

A-town ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
oneace

2005-02-03          105436

that is where I am at ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
buckee

2005-02-11          105955

I have a TC33DA purchased November 04 - no letter received. Is the recall applicable to the 33 or only the larger DAs? Thanks ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-11          105964

I posted in my first post the exact letter (just about)
Their records are wrong. I dont have a da just an "A"
Although I have almost all the options of the DA they still did not get it right. SO that was good info about the recall Oneace. Buckee, I have the TC40A so it is the larger ones also.
Kidsrgone, I took delivery of mine last March. LOL Oneace, treat him well! (kidsrgone) Your lucky your going to have him work on her, its got to be right now or he will never live it down!!!! LOL
Kiddin with ya Oneace,!!! lmao ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-11          105965

I wonder how many new tractors this recall will sell? Wonder how many guys take their tractor in for the fix and all of a sudden decide to trade it in on a larger or newer one? ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
oneace

2005-02-12          105978

Don't know an exact number but it is also the TC 55 and 48's also. Plus with the TC55 and 48 there is a recall and the draw bar. You can not get the required 14" for pull type 540 rpm implements. ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-13          106026

I have been involved in many product launches, from tractors, valves, transmitions to pumps and dairy valves.
This is not uncommon and is one of the the reasons for never buying a new product. Unless most parts used in the product are proven, even then buy with caution. One can only "catch" so many faults in a new product before it is launched. They can be minimized by not rushing to get it out in the market. However this seems to never happen and is a rarety in manufacturing. The quality of your engineers has a bit to do with it also. Although IMO with the time restraints put on most product launches I have been involved with even the best group of workers will have a tough task making a trouble free product. Sometimes the smallest and presumably "easiest" catches are missed looking for other flaws.
In my book though there is still no excuse for this and if the majority of the consumers would just NOT buy new products from companys with poor launch records maybe the testing would get more thourough from these company's.
Yes I am not happy about having to trailer my rig but I do understand the safety issue at hand is not one to play with. ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
tinkman

2005-02-14          106074

My recall work got done last week. The dealership had one in stock that they used to practice on. I didn't have a trailer available and asked to use theirs since I'm only 15 miles away. Instead, they just sent a guy out one day on his way home from work. I just left the tractor (TC45DA) out in the drive and they did the work there. I couldn't even see evidence (didn't look THAT closely) that they'd done anything but they called to confirm the work had been done. Used it since with no obvious problem, although haven't had to use the PTO. Thought they were very good about how they handled it. Dealership is Corvallis New Holland. ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
oneace

2005-02-14          106086

Broken just have them come on site and do the work. ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-14          106124

I did not buy buy this 10K pound trailer to just look at it. LOL. Seriously though, I dont mind hauling it and to tell you the truth I have not talked it over with them yet. Maybe they will be in the area and haul it for me. The only reason for this (that I would consider) is that fuel is almost $2 a gallon again. A 180 mile round trip pulling the trailer would run me around $45. Like I said once before I do have a small hydraulic leak somewhere and I have not identified or even looked to find it (its that small) SO this will kill 2 birds in one and maybe save me some of the time I would took to fix the leak by myself. (Not worth driving back to dealer for such a minor problem) Hey maybe I will get a wash out of this? ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-21          106563

My dealer called me up today! The service department informed me that they got notice and wanted to set up a time to fix. They also told me that they have affiliates in my area that would do my work for me if I did not want to trailer it 90 miles. What do you think ? I trust the mechanics at this dealership, ya think I should trailer it or maybe see if one of their recomendations check out.? ....

New Holland recall

View my Photos
tinkman

2005-02-21          106581

Please don't anybody read anything between the lines and think I'm slighting my dealership. Just the opposite - they went out of their way to make it easy for me by sending somebody by my place one afternoon on his way home and he took care of the recall. The did exactly what they said they'd do. However, having said that, if it was something he could do in a comparatively short time out in my driveway, I'm inclined to believe that it wasn't rocket science and the affiliates near you ought to be able to handle the work. On the other hand, I could take a little pride in it if it was actually a matter of my dealer's guy being a mechanical genius who was a wizard at driveway repairs. At any rate, I used the tractor some this weekend, nothing heavy, and nothing with the PTO, but it appears to have been put back together properly.
Good luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login