Go Bottom Go Bottom

160 170 or 180

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-21          104660

Anyone with opinions on these new holland skid loaders?
I see the engine difference between 160 and 170 is only 10 horse. There is not that much difference between these two from what I see in specs. What is the difference between lift cap. to max. pounds and the sae operating weight? The lift cap.s are only 10 pounds of difference, but the sae is 265# difference. The 265 makes a big difference.
I am going to buy a skidsteer full cab heat and maybe air.
Need to balance the difference between the 180 and 170. also.
Any options you would say are a MUST have would be appreciated.
(I looked for a skid steer catagory but did not find it so I thought this would be the next best choice.)
All you guys saved my butt when I bought my new tractor, I am asking for your help again. More info I can provide as you need it.
Thanks alot

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

160 170 or 180

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-22          104692

The 170 is turbo charged and is the most popular we sell. Or used to be. The old 180 ssl I did not like so well to me they seemed a little under powered for there weight. The new 185.B has a massive amount of power along with smooth operation and very quiet. Also if you want air this and the 190 are your only choice for "Factory" installed air.

Between the 160 and 170 I would always go with the 170 for the turbo. It may only be 10 ponies but the turbo will pick the engine back up when you pull it down with a load much quicker than not having it.

I do not have the specs here at home but NH web site I know has the specs on it. I am not sure if they have the .B on there yet or not.

Also depending on when you plan on buying one the smaller loaders will be changing in the near future too. And the will have all new specs like the 185.B and the 190.B

NH also has a brand new machine coming out in one month with tracks. Basically the 185.B and the 190.B sitting on tracks.

160 170 or 180

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-22          104719

I would go with the model that is on tracks, far better tracion than one on tires. Plus no flats. Buy the way BROKEN did you rob a bank or something,LOL Man I sure would like to have one of those, Far better than the loaders on are tractors. ....

160 170 or 180

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-01-23          104785

Hey! Listen here MR. 5205! LOL. For someone that has one of the coolest tractors on the board> Really though, Are thinking the same as me? Tractors are better for anything ag like our love for food plotting but when it comes to all around house maitainance driveway work/ building and construction I feel that a SS is the optimum machine. I cant stand hornets and a full cab will be the ticket I need to work in the summer. Was attacked years ago and can't get over it.
Anyway, I have operated many skidsteers and find them worth their wieght in gold. Since I plan on moving and will have more work for one on the new house it is a good reason to buy. Also, the oportunity to make some extra side money is always there.
Oneace is right, the web site has no mention of the new models. I had no idea they had them coming either.
The 185b? Has this engine been around for awhile oneace?
I dont like being a guiney pig, that is what you are when buying a fresh model unless the parts have all been used before. Can you tell me more? One more thing. Do you think there will be good deals on the out going models? Are they planning on eliminating the 170 and 180's?
Thanks guys, this is the info I need ....

160 170 or 180

View my Photos
oneace

2005-01-23          104789

The engine is new but it is made jointly by Cummins and Iveco and both have been in the game a very long time. All the pumps and motors in them have been in use by case for years.

I do not believe you will find any left over Ls180's. And the ls170 will be replaced with in 4 months. The new emission laws are starting to go in to effect. That is why the 185 are out now. They are also 7 more hp then the out going 180. ....

160 170 or 180

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-01-23          104793

When is the 170 changing? Or did I miss that?
Your opinion? Would you wait? Also I am nit planning on major heavy use for the skidsteer (heavy meaning wieght) would you just go with the 170 or its new equivalent? Or if you had the bucks would you upgrade to the 185? Is the 185 factory air a option in the cab or standard? I was debating over air or not depending on price? I have my dealer looking into prices for me now. Although I will wait to see if we go back to work or not, that discount is worth the wait. ....

160 170 or 180

View my Photos
oneace

2005-01-24          104833

Air is optional. If I were going to get one I would be getting a 190 because to me bigger is better. But the new 190.B i will have to see what happens with them. They are about 4 Hp less then the older 190. So right now I would say the 185.B is where I would go. ....

160 170 or 180

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-01-25          104876

22K For the ls 170 full cab heat weights forks low profile bucket and more. Think I need to wait to see if we go back to the job. Last qoute I got with the dicsount was 18,900. 22 is a bit steep but well worth its price.

160 170 or 180

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-01-26          104993

Oneace
Well I talked to my dealer today. he called me up just to say hi and asked me if I had any questions after our e-mail conversations. Cool huh? Good salesman ands a nice guy. I talked at length with him about the 185b. From everything he told me about it (he matches your opinion) its a must buy. He told me if you thought any of the other skidsteers you have ever operated was smooth you have to operate this one! He want on to say that the 185 is just an all around awesome machine that he believes is far above anything in its class and also above larger ones.
Only draw back he see's for me is hauling it around. Said If I am only doing 25 +/- mile drives it would be no problem but if I am planning on doing any long hauls I should have a larger truck. (I agree).
Anyway, he had told me that he was amazed at the smooth operation along with the power it has. 2 thumbs up. So he sold me on it. The prices he gave me were standard prices for any street customer and when (IF)I get back to work he will be able to qoute me the discount price. Said he can't give out that info direct order from above!
So it looks like I will be getting the 185 when I buy it.
Thanks for the great advice. ....

160 170 or 180

View my Photos
oneace

2005-01-27          105077

The smaller units will be changing over in June. Two must have OPTIONS are the grid heater and block heater. Those engines are very cold natured. Don't no why the made the pre heater optional but it is not going to start below 40 degrees with out it. ....

160 170 or 180

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-01-27          105091

Thanks oneace
Yes I had the block heater on my list but what is a grid heater, never heard of that?
Thanks again ....

160 170 or 180

View my Photos
oneace

2005-01-28          105125

The engine does not hove glow plugs. The grid heater bolts on to the air intake and super heats the in coming air. it is the pre heater. ....

160 170 or 180

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-22          106642

Has this been around for awhile or is this new technology? It sure sounds like a practical idea anyways ....

160 170 or 180

View my Photos
oneace

2005-02-23          106696

Yeah it has been around a while. ....

160 170 or 180

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-23          106712

The more I hear about the 185B The more I like! I will wait till I have the funds for this machine but will be asap. A must will be getting back in the doors at cnh to utilize that epp program ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login