Go Bottom Go Bottom

Strike replacement workers

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-23          102864

Locked out
By Dustin Block

MOUNT PLEASANT - A Racine County supervisor criticized the state Wednesday for ordering former prison inmates on community supervision to quit their jobs as replacement workers at CNH Global.
"I understand there's a union issue there," said Supervisor Ken Lumpkin, who had heard of at least 12 people who were told by their parole officer to stop working at CNH. "I feel it is unfair they were pulled off the jobs, especially in a society where many of these young men are seen as deadbeat dads. They're trying to do the proper thing, to take care of their kids, and this dramatic type of action occurs. It give them a feeling of hopelessness."

Members of United Auto Workers Local 180 have been locked out of their jobs at CNH since November. The company is running the plant in Mount Pleasant with replacement workers - some who are former inmates in need of work - supplied by Strom

Engineering.

Should the state allow inmates on community supervision to work at CNH?

The state ordered the former inmates to quit working as replacement workers to avoid a confrontation with the union members, according to a report on the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Web site.

Union workers have continued to picket CNH's plant and offices in the Racine area during the lockout.

Lumpkin told The Journal Times on Wednesday night that the state's decision was harmful to the ex-prisoners, who are left with little recourse. If they complain, they could upset the union and Department of Corrections.

"Being minorities, many of these people have been locked out and left out of our community," he said. "They shouldn't have to be scabs, they shouldn't have to break the picket line to find job opportunities. But in the real world that's the way it is."

Lumpkin added that it was unfortunate that unions do not do more to work with young minorities to help them find high-paying jobs. If unions would reach out to blacks and Hispanics, he said, the minority community would be more sympathetic to the unions.

The state's decision comes as the UAW continues to picket CNH in hopes of returning to work. The union went on strike on Nov. 3 to protest the lack of a new labor contract. Workers called off the strike in late November, but were locked out of their jobs on Nov. 23 by CNH, which began using the replacement workers.

This LUMPKIN guy has NO clue, Our union recruits menorities as much as possible. In fact the last few hirings of 10-12 employees each time we were commenting
on the lack of white males being hired (next to none) It seems that if you are a white male, and applying for a job at CNH you need to be skilled or you will not get hired.
This crap that the guy puts out as our union being anti menority is infuriating to me.
I thought the company had inmates coming to work to replace us. Last week when a bus broke the picket line I was pleased to see the look of the "new employees". It was very uplifting to me to see the appearance of most of the scabs. By the way, I would be looking at JD for a large tractor purchase till this is settled and I am sure JD is "eating this all up" and loving every minuite as they also start to get new customers formerly Case/new hollands.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-26          102952

Well I am with you for buying form other than NH. When it come to getting parts or optional installation kits ECT. 1 you either get the wrong stuff. 2 it is back ordered for months on end. or 3 half the pieces are missing.

It has got me to the point where I am pulling my hair out do to NH not giving a sh/t about their North American customers and dealers.

I do not understand how NH is the biggest company in the world but be 12th is sales. Oh wait a minute. yes I do They just do not care.

Any body know a Jimma dealer looking for a good tech?

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-12-26          103007

I dont want to come off as bashing CNH. They have problems that can be solved. Management needs a total overhaul starting with a guy like good ole LEE Iaq. Cant spell and dont care to look up his name IAQUINTA or something LOL. We need a true manager that knows manufactureing and how a company needs to be run. You can't expect your workers to go over and beyond when management makes no attempt to solve problems from the top down. This fiat thing is a great travesty to our American company. I am ready to bail out on the trade and this company. They are showing their colors on who they are loyal to. They want refugees and convicts working for next to nothing to make a quality product? Good luck. The next month or so will tell the tale on what their intentions are. (since our union already told them we would come back under their terms ) {Then fight em in court, how assinine is that?} I think they will tell us to come back as soon as they realize they can not get a quality work force for McDonalds wages in America.
I gues we are even, They dont like American union workers, and I dont like foriegn companys in America buying out American traditional company's. Screw em all! ....

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-27          103015

My beef is with the the oversees people. They are one big screw up. They make my job a living night mare and in turn piss off most every customer we have. If they can't get the product made in a timely manner then "DON'T SELL IT AT ALL". ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-12-27          103022

Broken, You can bet the State of Wisconsin has had their hands in this long before any strike was planned. When your company knows they can get replacement workers with government approval it makes sense that they would not bargain honestly because they're holding all the cards.

This sort of thing has been going on for quite some time. Back in the 60s my dad lost his job at the state owned tree nursery because they decided to bus prison workers every day from 90 minutes away. Supposedly they could save a few dollars.
Dave ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-12-28          103101

Dave, suppose that is why they originally rejected our unemployment after the comp. locked us out. Our Demecratic (Union backed) Govoner washed his hands with it. This is his response to our head officials,"We will not get invloved in your labor dispute until CNH askes for our help. Well isnt that nice of our Dem. gov. We back his party with out question to who is running (which is assinine) and this is what we get? ( By the way Doyle is the first Dem. I voted for in many many years.) It took other politicians locally to put pressure on the UC board to change their position and allow unemployement comp. because of the lock out.
Dave sorry to hear that about your dad, no matter when something like that occurs and no matter to who ever it occurs, it is a rotten shame. Allowing inmates to pass some time and get paid for it while a labor dispute is going on. This company can go to (you no where) as far as I am concerned. We are not asking for a raise and not asking for anything but to keep what we have. Thats right, I said keep what we have. CNH made profits last quarter again. Now that the retructuring is over with (remember they said that is what they needed to be competative?) They want more! Lies and deciete is common from this company.
Deere are priced high, there is no dought about that, but in return they also respect their employees and allow them to have a piece of the pie with a good working agreement. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-12-29          103109

I can't help but wonder if the company made political contributions to the politician who approved using
scumbag convicts as replacement workers. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-01-03          103356

Those are ex-cons. The state has nothing to do with them except for parole officers and such.

I think the state is doing the right thing by staying out of it. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-01-08          103818

The state employee responsible for these guys while they are on parole/leave from prison has ruled to remove them from this envirenment. The thinking was that having these guys cross a picket line every morning is not a good idea.
Words will ultimately be said and it may escalate into a situation that will put both party's at risk. The paroles can not have ANY negative contact with the law or will end up back in the clink on the tax payer dime. I also think it is best to look for a job where the hostilities will not be so prevalent, now and in the future. When I look to start a new carreer it will be in a field or job that I can keep for more than 3 months. I am not against them crossing the line. As far as I am concerned that is the employee I would want in there at this point and time. LOL
I am signing up for school next week. Done with being a tool and die maker! Will pursue either x-ray tech or surgical tech. No union needed and finally I can get out from under the gun. My whole life I have not known for sure if I would be employed next year or not, union or not it has not mattered. There is not one place I have worked that is open still for buisness. I just went thru the list and realized all the company's have either closed or moved (most of then while I was there) The last 3 buisnesses have been in buisness around 200 years between the 3 of them, I was there for each closing or move. Hopfully I wont have that problem with the medical field, now I just have to pass the classes! (and get spell check)! PS I have wonderful support from my loving wife who is a RN. She tells me I wont last 1 month at the job and also threw in there that school is not my strong point! Shees, with support like that I dont know if I want to do this? ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-01-10          103880

Arrow: Drop me a line. I turned the e-mail on. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-01-10          103899

Brokenarrow, I say go for it!! I want to go to the local high schools and scream at the kids until I am blue in the face about getting further education.

In December, I graduated with an advanced degree after 3 years of working full time and going to school in the evenings. I think you may be surprised at how you do in school. I noticed a big difference between now and when I was a 19 year old punk going for an undergrad degree.

You have world experience. You have an incentive to do well because you know what you face if you do not succeed. Go out there and find something you like that will offer you that additional tiny bit of security. Or at least something that affords you that extra ability to get a job should you lose yours again.

With the tool & die experience and some additional schooling, you could think about maybe working for a medical supply manufacturer. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login