Go Bottom Go Bottom

Why not buy from Corriher or Tarheel

View my Photos
Paladin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-10          79458

I have been posting over on the Century and Kioti boards because that's where my decision was headed. That is, until I found the Corriher website. As I figure it, I could buy a TC33 with loader from Corriher and have it shipped up here to eastern PA and get the thing into my barn for less than a Kioti. There is just no comparison with the local NH dealers, who shall remain unnamed. This tractor is going to live a very easy life, with a 14 acre estate to maintain - some lawn to mow and some pasture to bushhog and some horse manure and mulch to load. I am not planning to build Mt. Rushmore with it.

What's the downside of buying from Corriher and having the tractor trucked in? Another interesting twist here - the Kubota dealer close to me is also a Case/IH dealer. Will he now have access to NH parts?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
MessickFarmEqu

2004-03-10          79461

I am located in south eastern PA. Traditionaly my prices are close Corriher's and I am local enough to provide you with service down the road. I am all for shopping around for a good deal, but a relationship with a local dealer has to be given some value as well. Let me know if you would like pricing.

neilm AT messicks.com

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-10          79505

They have only needed the part numbers before to order the NH parts. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-10          79506

I'm wrong with that as they have not had that advantage. We have had it do to the New holland equipment we have sold but not every Case IH dealer has had that option. ....

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2004-03-10          79513

I saw the artical in Farm Equipment "The perils of cherry picking"
New York dealer Art White talks about the hazards of handling too many brands. ....

Link:   Farm Equipment

Picture Link
New Holland Tractors Why not buy from Corriher  or Tarheel

View my Photos
wallac

2004-03-11          79546

PALADIN, If you are from northeast Pa. stop by my Kioti dealership and I will guarentee you will walk or drive out with a big smile on your face!! ....

View my Photos
rjones

2004-03-11          79607

PALADIN,
i LOVE what is happening here in regard to your post. i bought from corriher (live in sc), got a great price & have had only minor difficulties since i bought my tc33d w/fel & backhoe. there,HOWEVER, are a few things that i have had to forego; 1)my fel is weak, needs adj., but i can't afford to have it trucked to nc to have it tested. the local dealer (still po'd because i bought elsewhere,) won't help. 2)a hydraulic hose blew out, i called corriher to get one shipped to replace it, was told, "well just go somewhere & buy one." - which i ended up doing, but it should have been covered by warranty.... and, there are other things, but that's not the point of this post.
the thing i really like is that local dealers are reading & replying to your need for a new tractor. if a LOCAL dealer sees he can cut a few dollars & gain a lifetime customer, EVERYBODY WINS> i hope you can find a local dealer who will give you a good price & take care of you.
let me end this long dissertation with this - if i had to buy from a "long distance" dealer, corriher is the one i'd go with, ted works hard to please his customers. but, there is something to be said to buying from someone you can go see tomorrow if you just need a little tlc. - my 2 pennies

rjones ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-03-12          79671

paladin I am also in SE PA and bought local for the same price quoted me by Ted. I also have been very happy with my dealer. I bought TC 33D, FEL with filled R4s. ....

View my Photos
melensdad
Posts: 90 Northwest Indiana, near Lowell and 8 miles from Beecher, Illinois

2004-03-19          80409

My local dealer was originally $1000 over Corriher, I told my local guy I was shopping Kubota and NH and that I already had a lower NH price. Next thing I knew, his price dropped and I bought local. But I would have bought Corriher . . . and my NH has never needed service. ....

View my Photos
cobratodd

2004-03-20          80465

I started locally in Connecticut and when the NH dealer I went to was over $4,000 more for the BASE TC24, I didn't even give him a second chance.

He was asking $14,400 for the gear drive TC24D. What a joke! With a MMM, and loader I was looking at almost $20,000. Give me a break. No wounder why he's "...really hurting this winter...".

I'm glad to give my business to Tarheel Tractor just on principle alone. ....

View my Photos
whipittire

2004-07-06          90204

LOCAL CONN. GUYS WANTED 1000'S MORE THAN TARHEEL AND WONT BUDGE ON THE PRICE,KEPT SAYING SHIPPING WOULD BE TOO EXPENCIVE. THEY NEED TO SMARTEN UP ....

View my Photos
jack8265

2004-08-27          94711

I would stay away from either of these. Nothing against them but the sell the tractors cheaper because they will never see them again. And if you don`t buy from your local dealer they will go out of business then where will you be? Who will do your warranty work? ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-27          94724

I have to agree with the first post. I can guarantee they will beet any other price around including both of the afore mentioned dealers. They also have a very good service reputation. You will be number one in there eyes and not just a number on the wall.

P.S. I am not trying to spam! ....

Link:   South central pa dealer

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-27          94737

oneace, you ole' spammer you! ;o) Just kiddin'! ;o) ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-27          94741

I know it is a curse. lol ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-27          94747

Paladin sent me a private message and I will see that you get the best price you ever thought possible on any New Holland or Kubota tractor. And have local service and parts support. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-08-28          94785

Being from CT I purchased mine locally. I just got me Kubota L3130 back from its 50 hr first service which I brought it to the dealer I bought it from. First off the matched a low out of state price, secondly - they power washed my machine for me & didnt charge me for the service!!! They also cut the line to get me in right a way being that I'm a landacaper & use it everyday. Local is the only way to go in my humble opinion. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-28          94789

Local is the way to go. My dealer came out and walked my property before the sale to make suggestions. They recommended R1 tires but I opted for R4s. When I found the R4s to be a mistake they swapped my used R4s for new R1s for only the labor charge. I had a problem with an adjustment that had to be just right to allow the 3ph w/I-Match and the backhoe to work together. They sent a guy out, made the adjustment, and gave me an education at no charge. When I stop to talk to the sales and service guys and they are friendly and answer my questions with no hassle. I would have not have received this kind of personal service from an out of state dealer. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-28          94793

You mean you didn't get the Deere baseball caps, coffee mugs. pens, paper pads, calenders, and door mat????? ;o) Just being a wisenhymer. You have a great dealer and sounds like he takes very good care of you. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-28          94796

Chief, you can't be a wisenheimer until you get the correct German spelling. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-28          94803

Good call on the spelling. My wife is from Regensburg, Germany and she confirmed my spelling prowess. ;o) ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-08-28          94822

You guys are too much :o) ....

View my Photos
tom21769

2005-06-04          111937

My local NH dealer (Frederick MD) sold me the TC33DA for a price within a couple hundred dollars of what Corriher quoted.

True, I could have saved the MD sales tax.
But I do think - even though any NH will do the warranty svc - the dealer relationship is worth something.

For instance, as part of the deal, my local NH sent 2 guys and a truck to haul my broken down 8N out of the woods. Tough job! And when the Cruise Control on the new one wouldn't work, sales rep offered to stop by to trouble shoot/repair on his way home from work, to avoid hauling it back to the shop. In addition, they've been out to my place to see the lay of the land & talk about my needs. Couldn't do all this with a long distance dealer. ....

View my Photos
MackVision

2005-06-05          111950

As a previous post on here....local dealer, TC26DA, FEL, REAR woods blade, 60" midmount finish deck, wants $18250.00...my opnion that is too high, and I dont need much more tractor, TC33DA at most..., but something tells me if I tell him what I am finding, I might get the Wink-Wink, Nudge-Nudge, "lets see what we can do"....:) ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-06-05          111953

I think the biggest mistake anyone can do is to not treat the tractor dealers like you would an auto dealer. Shop around and fins yoru best price. Then go back to the local one or the one you would prefer to deal with and explain that you have a significantly better offer, but would prefer to buy local due to the relationship of repairs and maintenance. Then ask if they can do better on the price knowing you'll be coming back for maintenance, repairs, attachments, etc.

I shopped around and the local guy came back and gave me the best price after I had told him someone beat him on price. As a result, they get my business. Smart dealers will work with you on the price, just ask. If they don't, then they are at risk of not staying in business. But you also have to be reasonable in your expectations. They won't sell at a loss. ....

View my Photos
MackVision

2005-06-05          111955

That is what my intent here is to do...I want to give the local dealer a fair chance as they have been really fair with me and are concerned of how you will view them after the sale. They should be considered first, however when you are looking to buy a tool for more than you have ever paid for a car, I would hope they would treat you fairly, especially when you will have this for the next "x" amount of years. After reading posts on here, I cant believe how some dealer treat customers if they bought elsewhere. I can understand their being upset, but from the sounds of it, they basically tell some people to pound salt! The local dealer will most likely get my business. I know they will not sell for a loss, and I dont expect them too. Its no rocket science if you sell under cost you wont last long, however we are talking about a possible $3000.00 price difference of their quote to me, to what others paid for similar set up that I am looking at.
I have sent some emails to other dealers, and we will see what they quote. I not looking for a steal, just fair price which has not come my way yet.....thats all.
Thank you all for your input on these matters for all are good points, and you are right, it is not like going to the car dealer!! ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-06-05          111965

Mack vision
Keep in mind that options add up real fast. Make 100% sure that you are comparing the apple to apple thing. Way too many times (when I bought my tractor) I recieved
e-mail qoutes that were lacking the loaded tires or the upgraded folding rops. I had decided on a dealer that was very close to me. After a few conversations on the phone we had come to a price. I called to set up a time to meet, which we did set a day and time. 2 days before I was to leave and set the deal, I get an e-mail telling me they made a minoe mistake!!! Right! try a 1K mistake and it was not in my favor! After telling him to shove it, I went with the guy that was 3 times as far away but had free delivery. All I am getting at is that you need to make sure you are getting qoutes on the exact same product.
Good luck and keep us informed! ....

View my Photos
Paladin

2005-06-05          111966

Maybe I shouldn't be posting here anymore since I finally bought a used Kubota 3010, HOWEVER . . .

If the dealer is going to throw in filling the tires, make sure it is done right. Three Kubota dealers told me three different ways of filling the tires - with calciun chloride, with anti-freeze and with windshield washer fluid. If i were going to do it myself, speaking as a chemist (which I am) I'd go with cheap windshield washer fluid. Calcium chloride is a mess to work with and corrodes any metal that it comes in contact with, and anti-freeze is expensive and will poison the soil if you pick up a nail and get a leak (besides being fatally toxic to dogs, who love the taste of it).

If you can get a foldable ROPS as a deal sweetener, do it. You will need it if you buy a 'hoe, and it improves the resale value of the tractor. ....

View my Photos
cobratodd

2005-06-06          111978

I have lived through a bad experience with regards to buying a New Holland for the cheapest price.

The bottom line is:
If you can fix the tractor your self and do not care about warranty or service, then go for the cheapest price you can find.

Otherwise, you have to let the local New Holland Dealer rape you for their perceived Market Value, if you ever want service from them. That is the bottom line.

Corporate New Holland is of little help.
Their response is that the local dealership has the right to service their customer’s equipment prior to servicing out of area sales. I agree with that statement, if the dealership is honest and can legitimately schedule a date when you can expect to have your service issue addressed.

Now, I feel as though I could not trust the local dealership to work on my tractor. I am stuck with a TC24 that has had a history of problems that fortunately, I have been able to learn and fix myself. I hope the day never arrives when I have to consult with the local dealership for a repair.

I know there is a huge following here that thinks I'm wrong and deserve this for buying out of the local dealership based on the lowest price. That's fair enough, think what you may.

The next time you pay $35,000 for your next pick-up truck, imagine if you were forced to pay $47,000 just because the local dealer said so. I'm sure you would go elsewhere.
And then when you wanted or needed service, imagine if the answer is, "we didn't make any money off of your sale since you bought this truck else where. We will not service or warranty this truck until we address all of our other customers first."
Good luck with that.

I'm not a tractor guy, and after this experience, I don't want to be one. I own a machine that I work around the house with. Literally, when this one is worn out or broken, it will be thrown away. No pride or brand loyalty here.

I feel among part of circles here, there is little respect for others unless you fork over the cash first. I guess that's what makes the world go round.

The most secure way of getting the best bang for the buck, and knowing exactly where you stand is to purchase a 1, 2, or 3-year-old tractor with low hours. Someone else lost on the initial depreciation, and you know right off the bat, that you have no warranty support, and you didn't pay for it.

Best of luck to all those about to buy.
Don't do what I did.
I'm not a Roll Model; at least I'm a bad example.

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-06-06          111988

I'm not saying get hosed by the local dealer. But one thing I did pick up on at this board over the last year is that some people get a quote from a local dealer and immediately cross them off the list. They should go back and if necessary, show them the lower quote. At least give them the chance. How they react will tell you much about the type of dealer they are. If they refuse, odds are they are not the type of place you would want to go to for service. So I say give them the chance and also learn more about the dealer at teh same time. ....

View my Photos
bubbafrank

2005-06-07          112047

Agreed you shouldn't get hosed by the local dealer.That is why we all shop for prices. But, buying a tractor from far away is like a long distance love affair. How can it work?As long as you don't expect too much from it it will be ok. Sure you get some instant gradification (saved a few bucks)but who is going to be there for you in the long run.....the guy from the internet or the guy you see in Wal*Mart?? ....

View my Photos
Paladin

2005-06-08          112065

You can learn a lot by talking to more than one local dealer. Before I finally bought my used Kubota I talked to two dealers about new and used Kubotas. The larger dealer, who seems to have lots of business, lied to me on several counts about my used tractor model/capacities/etc. and wouldn't write a price quote for a new one down anywhere.

The smaller dealer (and 20 miles farther away) was upfront, quoted prices in writing, and offered to service whatever model orange tractor I bought used.

They have been good to their word. The tractor has been in once to have the tires unfilled and some minor glitches fixed. I love it when you pick the tractor up and the first thing the dealer says is "we re-used the old parts and saved you some money".

Bottom line: there are good local dealers and there are bad local dealers who are not worth doing business with. I bought a used low hours tractor that I found on the internet and that was 800 miles away (I flew down to TN to check it out) and it was delivered for $1.00/loaded mile and it has worked perfectly including the loader and three implements. And I saved a bundle. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login