Go Bottom Go Bottom

Louisville Farm Show and Rude NH Staff

View my Photos
code3mmc
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-19          77309

I was seriously considering a NH TC-30 until this past weekend. I went out to the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville,KY and the New Holland folks wouldn't give me the time of day. They first ignored me, wanting to talk to themselves about basketball and what to do for lunch, etc. Finally I asked for some literature on the Boomers and TC-30 and they just tossed it at me. Oh, I am so sorry to interrupt their discussion....potential customer here ya know. ;) One of them asked me "So what are you looking for?" I told them I have 2 acres of unimproved land and before I could go any further, the guy said "If you only got 2 acres you don't need a tractor" and walked off. Okay, if there is anyone from NH corporate reading this please email me as your people just lost a customer. I went over to the Case-IH-Farmall booth--looking at basically the same tractors (DX33) with different paint, and those folks were wonderful. They were from Case-IH and a local dealer. They answered all my questions and invited me to come test out a new DX33 when they got them in stock, put me on their email and mailing list. So, where do you think I'm going to go look at tractors? Definitely not NH. They are off my list.
Now if someone can convince me that this is not typical of the southern Indiana / Louisville area dealers maybe I'll reconsider. It's like buying a car--it's all similar product, comes down to the best deal and how you were treated (you dealers out there probably know this better than anyone). -- Mike in Marysville, Indiana 47141

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-19          77311

You reaction is certainly understandable and I would have the same reaction. All brands seem to have awful dealers and employees who are bad reps. One of the reasons I have a JD is because the first Kubota dealer I went to didn't want to talk to me since I was only buying one tractor. A common theme among JD shoppers is the arrogance of the dealers, but I didn't run into that at my dealer. Since all of the major brands put out a good product I think the dealer is every bit as important as the tractor you buy, and you have every right to vote with your feet. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-19          77319

I tend to think that the major tractor brands are pretty much the same with respect to technology and capabilities. So, ultimately it comes down to finding a deal that is acceptable to you and a dealer that you are willing to work with.

NH makes a good tractor and I own one. But, I am not a brand fanatic. If you found a Case IH tractor that suits you and a dealer that you can work with, you should consider the deal very highly.

My local JD dealer was impossible for me to work with. There is no reason to go into details, but I bought NH because of the dealer. I liked the Kubota dealer well enough, but he did not have inventory when I was looking to buy. The deal that you make often comes down to more than paint color, and probably should. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-19          77326

Mike is right, the dealer makes or breaks it.

As you discovered already the best product on the market means nothing if the people who represent it have no customer relations skills.

As some of you know I sort qualify as a 'VIP' at tmy dealer (see my pic. # 6), and at the factory too for that matter. My yard is full of Orange paint, but if the dealer was a jerk it wouldn't be.

Complacency is an easy trap to fall into, I was at the big farm equipment show in Toronto recently and when I stopped by the Kubota booth all the different dealers wanted to chat me up, they all wanted to pick my brain on different ideas. Finally I had to tell two of them to look after some people who had walked into the booth. The one said he thought talking to me was a better use of his time and the other agreed.

I firmly said to them that my advice was free, but since I was ALREADY a Kubota customer and wasn't likely to put any money in their pocket, the other people might... A factory rep. from Japan then came over to me and thanked me for being so considerate, then HE proceed to talk my ear half off. Oh well.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2004-02-19          77335

Agree with all said here. I visited one NH dealer by me and got a very similar response. I was treated like a waste of his time, even after I told him I was ready to buy that day if things worked out.
Needless to say, I left that dealer and went to another NH dealer and got a great response about kubota's and luke warm about the NH ( Dealer carried Both ) I decided on the NH and the Dealer then was very helpful and supportive.
I am very happy with my purchase of a NH and am glad that I did not let that first dealer ruin it. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-19          77343

I would send him a nice picture of your new tractor when you get, along with a note. Might even sit on it and show him his IQ. ....

View my Photos
Stamper

2004-02-19          77344

Yeah, I had the same experience in Louisville. I'm also looking for just one tractor but my needs are a little different. I have a MF255 that I use to farm 125 acres of pasture and woodlands. Recently bought a house on 5 1/2 acres so I'm trying to find a tractor that's a bit easier to transport the 60 odd miles between the two... read lighter. Like to stay at around 50hp PTO. My Massey dealer has been super through the ownership of this tractor so I leaning towards doing business there. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-19          77345

I will be a new holland owner this sunday, yes I said Sunday. 20 plus dealers were contacted by e-mail or snail mail. 13 responded. 4 responded more than once (see where I am going with this) 3 called me at home, 2 called me after work hours (his not mine) One was NH and the other was Case. In the end the Blue won out (Just like the color more) and I feel bad for the case dealer because he tried just as hard. The price was within $200 of eash other so that was not the deciding factor, What was though was the free delivery including hours of onsite training
(or what ever it takes I was told) and free shipping back and forth if warrenty work is needed. He is 90 miles from my place but with all the effort put forth I feel it is the right choice. Also his dealership includes the first set of filters free and he asked me if it would be more convenient for me if I met him on Sunday, (on my way home from picking up my 8N)to sign the papers since he lives 30 miles closer to my route. I would say that is a man that loves his job? This same company has hand delivered a forwarder part to my buddy on his landing (they said it would be quicker than mailing it and they had a guy coming thru anyway. Sounds to me like I found a dealership? I wouldnt let the guys at that show sway you away from a tractor that you wanted.
Good luck with your purchase. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-19          77356

I have had to give up on the Deere dealer 4 miles away.

I thought maybe I had made a useful contact with the Deere dealer 60 miles away.......... but after 7 unreturned phone calls... (#7: "I am buying a new rear blade, should I buy it from you or someone else?").......... I gave up.

So, I am back to driving 135 miles, one way, to the neighboring state to spend my money there.

Now, if I can only find a contractor who will take my money to fix the roof........

Or an electrician who will allow me to pay him to install a bypass switch for my generator......... ....

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2004-02-20          77361

We had the same experience. We were exhibiting in the South Wing and more than one of our customers were treated exactly the same way. I think this was a NH traveling Show team on it's last gig after being out on the road for 2 months but still is inexcusable. ....

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-02-20          77414

Code3, it was unfortunate that you had such a rude experience, especially from a multi-national manufacturer of excellent reputation. You neglected to tell us what you did about it other than your post here. I think that your expectation that someone from NH corporate would be reading your post here is, at best, naive. Did you get the names of the NH staff? Every exhibitor must have a registration number or identification number. I'm sure the people who sponsor and run the event would be very grateful to know about your experience. A letter to your local newspaper editor is a good place to have your experience aired. With the names of the NH staff in hand (from the organizers of the show), an e-mail to NH would be in order. If you let these guys do this to you, they'll keep doing it to other people. Your outrage was shared here, how about placing it where it will do some good. I think your motives for sharing this with us were genuine, but there is nothing wrong with taking the fight to their doorstep. You may get a cold shoulder, or an appology, but most important is I doubt these clowns will get another chance to be rude to someone else. ....

View my Photos
code3mmc

2004-02-20          77439

I took your suggestion...

I called New Holland today on my lunch break using the toll free number on their website. I got a computer of course, finally after being on hold a long time got a person...they are geared toward parts orders, literature requests, and general inquiries...complaints against dealers go to some customer service area. This was a complaint about supposedly corporate people, the lady wasn't sure where to direct it, but the next person I talked with took my name and phone numbers, seemed to be upset this happened at a national event like the Louisville farm show. She said she would pass it along.

Oh, by the way...this got 'em...the customer service lady noticed that her caller ID said "US DEPT OF AGRICULTURE" (my employer) and *THAT* got her attention let me tell ya.

:)

Guess working in an agricultural-related business (agency) means something to these folks. She was like "Uh-oh, he's government..." ;) And no, I was not abusing my position, I didn't volunteer who I worked for--I'm not involved in farm or tractor-related programs anyway-- she just commented it was on her computer screen caller ID. :)

I got a call today from the Case-IH-Farmall dealer, they ordered my product literature and invited me to come test out a DX-33 with a front loader and bush hog when they get them in stock.....might wind up with a red/silver/black tractor instead of blue, too early to tell....still haven't visited with the orange or green tractor folks yet.

--Mike in Indiana-- ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-20          77445

Mike in Indiana
Glad to here that, ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-20          77447

On a better new holland note, My dealer just made me anouther offer. Tomarroo instead of Sunday he is going to drive 30 more mile to the east to meet me at a truck stop so I dont have to drive out of my way. It went from driveing 60 miles one way to get to LaCrosse from the hy way exchange, (to) just having to drive to his house only 30 miles out of my way (to) driving NO mile out of my way by him coming to me at the hyway interchange.
I am not making this up!!! I can not believe this guy
(in fact it worry's me alittle to give him a check) LOL Just kidding. World of difference from what you have had to go thru mIke, sorry to hear about you bad experiance.
Well see ya all Sunday night I am off to buy a tractor ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-03-03          78674

just to let you all know nh and case ih are now the same tractor in the compact line the whole way up. so if you like one and you dont like the dealer ship try another. ....

View my Photos
code3mmc

2004-03-03          78694

I'm now looking at a Case-IH-Farmall DX33 with a front loader, belly mower, cultivator, disc, and grader box.
Not cheap, but basically the same as the New Holland....actually a few $$ more but the C-IH-F dealer said they would "be willing to talk" so we'll see.
It's still going to be around $18,000 with all the goodies I want. I found a year-old DX29 in the paper recently for $9000 bare tractor, so might go look at that. Everyone's right, they are the same as the blue tractors except for paint, headlights and the cowling/hood. :)

Thanks to everyone for sharing their views on this whole deal I had with NH. -- Mike in Marysville, Indiana -- ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2004-03-14          79886

Code3 I understand what you are saying but the truth is Case is owned by New Holland so the NH guys really didn't lose out--sort of like buying a Mercury to get back at the Lincoln dealer---it's still a Ford! ....

View my Photos
code3mmc

2004-03-21          80575

Yeah, but I figure just like car buying it really comes down to the dealer's customer service. To me there is not a lot of real difference in the 30-hp compacts I've looked at from JD, Big K, Case-IH-Farmall, MF, Zetor, Century, Branson, Ford and Kioti. (Exception is the Chinese Jinma tractors, they are put together like JUNK).
So the red tractor DX33 from a good dealer beats out the blue TC33 from the folks with bad service. Simple as that.
The Case dealer even called to apologize that the company is behind on sending out product literature, said they'll have new DX series on the lot in a week or two come on down. That merits another look at their stuff.
Their "sister" dealership that sells Cub Cadet and Kubota was so-so, they weren't rude but weren't trying to reach out to a city boy who has never owned a riding mower much less a CUT like the Case folks....we'll see how this plays out. I understand this is the time of year when the new tractors are in and the dealers want to sell ??
--Mike in southern Indiana-- ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login