Go Bottom Go Bottom

new to the tractor game

View my Photos
d_lowry
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-18          71591

I too am a weekend warrior in the Army Guard, Officer Candidate School. I have been reading posts for the last few days and shopping dealers for the last few weeks. I am about to purchase a full blown membership on tractorpoint...you guys are too informative:)....I am leaning towards a TC35D with 16LA for $19,475...can anyone tell me if that is a good price (I live in OK). also, I have looked at the Kubota L3830 some and was wanting to know the advantages and disadvantages between blue and orange...by the way, my dealer sells both brands, so the dealer won't play a factor in my decision. thanks for the input!!! can you tell i'm new to the tractor game?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

new to the tractor game

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-18          71595

There is scads of stuff in the archives about all this stuff.

BOTTOM LINE: Is it comfortable to you? Talk to JD also, so you have another dealer price for comparitable features and equipment. Make sure you talk gear vs gear hydro vs hydro etc. Same hp, same tires etc.

If you like blue and you like the dealer buy blue same for orange. If you see some one using one, stop, most owners like to show off their babies and will tell you good or bad about the dealer logo on the hood. Plus they might even give you a haggle tip. Nothing beats a satisfied customer sending a referal and the dealer knows he's gonna make a deal because of the referal. The dealer will deal to make it happen.

Have fun shopping. Harvey ....

new to the tractor game

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-18          71609

Ask him which one he has the most amount of warrantee work on! That will seperate it out for you quite quickly if repairs are a factor for you. As always during warrantee period you might miss the tractor for a day or two but later it will be easier to sit in the seat when it is around as your wallet will be thinner. Maybe the tractor will fit you better who knows. As a dealer we don't want to miss out on the profit dollars either and honestly just ordered a bunch of them. We've been studing Kubota fore the last couple of years and they don't leave much room for us to make any aftersales profit for about 20 years. NH gives us plenty of room to grow in the shop from updates and repairs needed. ....

new to the tractor game

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2003-12-18          71627

Not out to start a battle, but one the dealers I talked with who carries both blue and orange stated that they had more orange return for service then blue on the CUT side. Now he also stated that due to the price difference they also sold more Orange CUT's ( I didnt get into the ratio of sold verses serviced )and then as you got into the bigger HP tractor they sold more Blue. ....

new to the tractor game

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-18          71630

Now here is a good sales point....... You combine the best of Orange and Blue and what do you get...........GREEN!
:o() ....

new to the tractor game

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2003-12-18          71634

Actually are not Blue and Orange opposite on the color wheel? with green in between? Wonder if that is how they came up with the colors for the three. And then of course there is Red..... ....

new to the tractor game

View my Photos
d_lowry

2003-12-18          71636

actually blue and yellow makes green, but i started looking at the jd 4410 and like it a lot...thoughts? ....

new to the tractor game

View my Photos
cutter

2003-12-18          71645

I would tend to agree with Art. I have owned both orange and blue, even the dealer's mechanic (services both brands) says he would buy the orange due to the repair history of blue. But the blue is more comfortable to use, in my opinion. ....

new to the tractor game

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-18          71646

They both make good tractors and reliability is very important but it is not everything. You need a good dealer - even a reliable tractor needs service from time to time, and a crappy dealer will sour your experience quickly. The tractor also has to be comfortable - if you can't operate the controls easily, or if the seating position hurts your back, or if your shoulder or arm go numb from having a "sig heil" joystick, or if your legs cramp because of some weird pedal location then reliability becomes less important than comfort. ....

new to the tractor game

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-12-19          71674

In my research before buying, the dealer that sold both Kubota and New Holland in my area told me, that there were less complaints and service with NH. I also walked into the shop and talked to the mechanics they also agreed. I myself observed more orange machines sitting in the shop than blue. My NH has been almost flawless for the last 21 months and 275 hrs. These statements and observations are from my own experiance. I tried and looked at all three, my one brother has the same size JD which he paid over $3000.00 more for. I saw no reason to pay more for a similar machine. Interestingly enough my other brother has a kubota which did not fit me as well as the NH and did not fair as well at the dealer. When I decided to buy I was not loyal to any brand, I did my due dilegence and bought what I thought ended up being the best value and fit for me. The great thing is you and everybody else can do the same exact thing. ....

new to the tractor game

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-19          71675

If the dealer says the orange has a lower price then maybe he is selling the wrong models to the buyers and that might be where the repair difference is. ....

new to the tractor game

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-19          71676

I'd just get the one you REALLY REALLY LIKE. That's the 'Ah this is the one experience,' and it seldom makes for the wrong choice. Comfort and ease of operation is a big part of getting the 'AH' experience and so is the dealer.

I wouldn't focus too much on specs and you haven't seemed to. I imagine the dealer went through the work you want to do and made several recommendations. Generally all the majors and some of the grays will do the work just fine if the size and features are right and your dealer probably did a decent job of that. I also wouldn't be too concerned about differences in price since they'd be spread over decades (Tractor buying is a real statement about optimism for the future).

A better number for deciding might be total ownership costs. Maintenance and operation costs less resale valve are a part of total cost and checking it out might make a difference. A tractor with a high price and high maintenance costs may not be the best deal. However, none of the majors and some of the grays have really bad maintenance records and you've got to keep in mind that any differences are going to be spread over decades. So, the one you REALLY LIKE is likely to be the best deal. Discomfort too is spread over decades. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login