Go Bottom Go Bottom

New to the board and new to compact tractors

View my Photos
darrellb
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-15          53198

I'm currently looking into buying a new not so compact compact tractor. I want at least 40Hp and and 4wd. I also will purchase a front loader and a grader box with the tractor. Any info on the Kubota's GrandL, the Deere's 4010's, Case IH's DX's and the NH Bomer's would help, all 4 dealers are very close buy. I'm looking for the good and bad. The tractor will be doing all sorts of jobs as I'm starting a landscaping business. I've worked on a farm for most of my life but never have delt with these compact tractors. Every dealer says their tractor is the best, and give reasons why the others are bad but since these tractors are quite expensive I want some owners telling what they like and don't like about the brands they've had or have.

Sorry about the long post and thanks for the help.

DB

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Tom Kopf

2003-04-16          53253

Welcome to the board Darrell,
I'd suggest scrolling down a bit or looking into the archives. I bought a TC40D a bit over 2 years ago and helped NH sell a few of the same on this board. (No commision-Damn.) I looked at all the others too. I had no favorites and I wasn't going to let $1000 make a difference on a $22000+ purchase. For me the visability and mostly the supersteer option is what did it for me. I didn't get a 45D because for some dumb reason NH does not have a mid PTO option. Good luck and keep us posted. Tom ....

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-04-16          53267

Darrel, There really are no bad chioces. It depends mostly on what YOU like best and your comfort with the dealer. One factor for me was financing. All offer good terms, but some offer terms that might fit your needs better. Of the big three, JD fit ME the best and offered the best financing. I was much more comfortable with my NH dealer and I DID like the Super Steer. I wasn't comfortable with any of the local Kubota dealers, but their engine is great and they have the best hydrostatic transmission. In your case I would recommend a hydro. If not for that, one of the Korean tractors is also an option. Kioti, Mahindra and Century-Branson offer great, reliable machines at impressive prices. You are on the right track with 40+ HP I ended up with 48, you can never have too much HP or money in the bank.
Pacesetter ....

View my Photos
darrellb

2003-04-16          53268

Tom, I have one little question about the supersteer option. How Does it hold up with a FEL? I was worried about it being weeker than the solid front end, and also being unstable when cornering with the loader in the air.

A good friend just bought a CaseIH DX40, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Thanks
DB ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-17          53274

There are some relevant threads in the archives. Unfortunately many of the more interesting discussions are sidebars to what's in the subject title so digging them out can be tough. Full text searches take awhile.

From what I recall, there has been some talk about SS failure and maintenance costs although few specific problems are mentioned. Loader height is an issue with any front axle. Most 4wd axles have centre pivot points so the front wheels provide little stability anyway. I believe that the way SS works is that the wheels turn conventionally until the hit their locks and then the axle starts swinging. SS doesn't really come into play except during heavy maneuvering. Loader or not, you sure don't want the front wheels pointing straight downhill if front wheel traction breaks on a steep side-grade. SS use probably should be avoided on significant side-grades anyway.

Some people have questioned if the fairly small reduction of turning radius that SS gives is really worth the price. Most people who have it seem to like it a lot.

View my Photos
Tom Kopf

2003-04-17          53275

Darrell, The supersteer option was well worth the $1000 to me. You wouldn't believe how this machine can maneuver through the woods with a FEL.The only maintanence or failure issues that I ever saw on this board have been people asking if there were issues. I have yet to see any problems by owners.I have slopes on my property and stability with this front end has yet to be a problem. As for the previous description of how it works, that is incorrect.It is a simple,strong setup, but one that is hard to describe. The front axle pivots with EVERY turn. It still has conventional spindles that pivot also. The more you turn, the more each one turns. I'd highly suggest that you go to a NH dealer and look at and try both front ends. As for all the other suggestions from the guys here, I agree completely. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-17          53281

Thanks Tom! There is a risk to summarizing vaguely remembered discussions over several years. I also seem to recall something about the ability to disengage SS but that may have come from the same discussion and also is wrong. What I recall may have been questions rather than answers. Fortunately there are enough people here so that nobody stays wrong for very long.

Despite your good results with stability, SS or not it's good to avoid heavy maneuvering on significant side-hills but I doubt that it's much more of an issue for SS.

View my Photos
Tom Kopf

2003-04-17          53284

Good morning Tom, I do believe that you're right about those old posts on SS. (Also, there is no disengaging)As for loads and sidehilling,once again I agree. While my loaded R4s,rollbar and seatbelt do make me feel safer, I have no intention of finding out where that saftey ends and the rolling begins. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-17          53285

With using the tractor for landscaping I would go as light as possible so not to compact the ground. I would look for something that is as user freindly as possible for future operators in a hopefully successful buisness. I would look for something that others have maybe operated or a generic style for anyone to be comfortable with manuvering in close quarters. With time being money review the daily, weekly and monthly maintence that is required. Remember nearly every moving part will fail eventually! Good Luck shopping sounds like you are in a good area for it. You might also look to a dealer that might be able to help you with other purchases later as you grow. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-17          53300

I have a TC45 4WD New Holland and I love it. It is the same frame size as the 40HP NH. I use R4 tires which would be a good choice for your landscape business, unless you drive on grass a lot. Turf tires might be better in that case. I live at high altitude, and my 45HP engine will only develop about 38HP, so my performance will be very much like the TC40 that you are considering.

I grew up on a farm with JD equipment and I still like it, but where I live, it was much more expensive than the NH. I am fully satisfied with the NH Boomer.

I also have the 16LA loader and the 758C backhoe. All are good pieces of equipment. If you get SS, you will need to consider the 17LA loader which provides more clearance for the axle movement. ....

View my Photos
darrellb

2003-04-17          53325

Awesome, thanks for all the good info guys. I'm going shopping Monday so I'll be asking a lot of questions of the dealers. I've talked to one NH dealer that said he would lend me one of his rental units for a week for a test drive. I thought that was pretty cool of him and will ask the rest of the dealers for the same thing.

Thanks again, and keep the info coming.

DB ....

View my Photos
darrellb

2003-04-18          53331

Wow! You guys are right.

I did a bit of surfing on the web tonight and printed out spec sheets on all 4 brands and there is very little difference. They all weigh about the same and they all have almost the same PTO HP. The more I look at the NH and the CaseIH the more I like the 2, they look like a real user friendly machine.

DB ....

View my Photos
1970AMX

2003-05-03          54226

Darrell, I to am looking at the new compact tractors. At first I was leaning real hard towards the JD line up but I wanted to keep an open mind about them and I stopped by the local Kabota Dealer. He also carried the NH brand and was very helpful. What I found was even the smallest NH is designed basically like the largest tractors. they dont have subframes that you have to worry about bending in half or bolting up an extra frame to. The JD Dealer said that in order to use a backhoe I would have to install a big frame rail to stiffen up the tractors existing frame or it would bend. Then if you wanted to put in a belly mower you would have to take all of it off. This is way to much work for me. The Kabota had the same frame problem. and they have an aluminum differiential case and transmission housing. The NH is cast iron.
If anyone has more information please let me know. ....

View my Photos
stevenc

2003-05-30          56040

I looked at the Deere,,and the best I can tell is,, you pay a LOT of green to own green!!!!!! LOL ....

View my Photos
darrellb

2003-06-04          56610

I'm still looking. I'm most certain it will be a NH TC45 or a CaseIH DX45. Since the 2 tractors are pretty much identical I'm going with the best price I can get. Both machines feel alot more comfortable than the Deere or the Bota. After demoing both the machines a few weeks ago I couldn't believe how well you can see over that sloped hood, and the seat and controls are perfectly placed for a shorter person like myself.

Next month is bonus time at work and I will have one parked in the pole barn then.

DB ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-04          56614

Darrel, welcome aboard! I can tell you from experience that the cheaper tractor does not necessarily save you money in the long run. I recently purchase 15 John Deere 4710 for the Army's 101st Airborne Division. I had to complete a comparative tractor analysis in order to complete the purchase. The John Deere 4710 was the most versitale, had the best user friendly features, and was the only manufacturer that would warranty its engines for use with JP-8. They sent us a Government Sales rep. and were eager to provide us several demostrations as well as provided training for the soldiers using them. Kubota did not respond they did not meet specs. New Holland did not cooperate in the least to provide a demo or anything. They did however threaten to sue the Government if we did not buy their tractor. We use these tractors to tow helicopters as heavy as 50,000 lbs. I am not being sour grapes here. I would suggest you research & test demonstrate each tractor model and purchase the one you prefer. Those 4710's are over in Iraq right now and I have not heard ANY complaints from the soldiers. They love these tractors. The fact that the soldiers have not torn them up yet speaks volumes as to how well they are built. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-04          56617

Darrel, Welcome. The one thing you will have to watch out for is thoose who are incredibly biased. Here the difference between New Holland/JD/Kubota on a similar tractor is less than $400. You will have to decide if that is a lot of green. The blue here is MORE than the green but as Chief already pointed out the best price is NOT always the best deal. Theese are all good machines. Just like your car or truck most of us choose one over the other based on some feature or incentive that draws us to that brand. For landscapeing there are a LOT of your competition useing the L3000Dt. This is a less expensive model than you mentioned but that is probably why so many choose it getting started. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-04          56645

No bias here! I had to complete a research & information report showing head to head comparison of all manufacturers in the GSA contract system to convince contracting and the 101st Airborne Division Commander that we did our home work on the units we were spending over $300,000 on. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-04          56647

lol, Chief I wasn't reffering to you actually but in point of fact we are all biased towards our own preferences, some just like to base their decisions on speculation or ego not facts. I think you have established that you have done your home work. ....

View my Photos
stevenc

2003-06-10          57265

I still think the New Holland is the most bang for the buck!!! i love mine!!!! and it is a pretty blue color!!!! ....

View my Photos
stevenc

2003-06-10          57266

I still think the New Holland is the most bang for the buck!!! i love mine!!!! and it is a pretty blue color!!!! ....

View my Photos
BillsTC

2003-06-10          57305

Hi All:
I'm seriously looking at the TC33D. Any advice you can offer would be appreciated. Does anyone have a belly mower and how hard are they to remove and replace? Sounds like many of you really like the SS - not completely sold on the need for it (comments?). What DON'T you like about this tractor?
Thanks. ....

View my Photos
realman21502

2003-06-10          57307

How does everyone like the Hydro pedal on the NH's. I find the front and back movement awkward. It would be nice if my foot was big enough to rock the pedal. I like the 2 pedals on the John Deere. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-11          57322

Personally, I prefer the JD twin pedal design over the treadle pedal of the NH or Kubota. The treadle pedal seemed to take up the entire right side of the deck and pressing the back of the pedal with my heel seemed awkward. Brake steering seemed cumbersome too, when the brakes are on the same side as the treadle pedal. Many people prefer the Kubota/NH design. I'm sure one could get used to either method and I wouldn't make my purchasing decision based on one over the other.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login