Go Bottom Go Bottom

New or Used With a Trade Mixed in

View my Photos
Red Knuckles
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-03          48562

Talking with a dealer about trading in my 1970 Ford 4500 backhoe. It has served me well over the past 10 years, including all the necessary grading for our new home we just moved into last fall. It is now time for a smaller tractor, so I can get into finish landscaping, brush hogging, fine tuning the driveway, and tilling a garden. He has offered me $4,200 trade in. I guess that's not too bad, considering I only paid $5000 for it back in 92.

Anyway, the particular dealer I am trying to work a trade with has a TC29 on his lot with roughly 350 hours on it. It currently has a Bush Hog FEL and Bush Hog backhoe on it. I'm not interested in the hoe, but he says he will leave the loader on it and let me have it for $12,000. I can buy a brand new TC29 from him for $12,450, but it has no FEL.

I figure I am saving roughly $3000 if I go with the used unit. On the other hand, I'm thinking $12,000 isn't that great of a price for this tractor with 350 hours. Especially since the FEL seemed undersized. (I'm kinking myself for not paying closer attention to the specific model FEL installed) I looked it over, and it appears to me that the backhoe has never been detached. That tells me that the pto drive should be virtually new.

I initially went to this dealer looking at grey market tractors, but I just wasn't impressed. He certainly had a nice selection of over 50 on the lot. I wasn't planning on trading in the 4500 either, until I fell in lust with the Boomers. I don't intend to finance this tractor, and am somewhat limited on funds. I can cover the differnce on either, but can't justify adding a new loader to the new TC29 at this time.

What would you fellas do? Go new and wait on the loader, or go with the used unit? Which is the better deal?

Sorry for the lengthy post, and thanks for you time.

Red

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Red Knuckles

2003-02-03          48593

Just in case anyone cares, the dealer said he would put a new 7308 loader on the TC29.

So....in a nutshell, does anyone think I can beat $12,000 for a 29 and new loader with 350 hours on it?

Red ....

View my Photos
Kris,From,NC

2003-02-03          48596

Hello, I would like to know were are you looking for a tractor. Living in the Southeast or Northeast would make a big difference in price. I have a TC33D with FEL paid out the door $14,980 (NEW). So if you live in North Carolina I can help you out.

Kris ....

View my Photos
Red Knuckles

2003-02-03          48600

Kris,

Thanks for the response. I happen to be a tarheel myself. I'm up in the hills near Asheville though. Went by my local NH dealer today to try and work a trade with him. He came out this afternoon and took a pic of my 4500 to see what kind of trade he can do. He doesn't have the 29 on the lot, but has a 30 with a woods loader that i am negotiating on.

Anyway, back to the used 29 at dealer #1. I'm somewhat concerned about a tractor of this size being used primarily as a backhoe. In your opinion, should I be worried about the previous owner doing a lot of backhoe work with this class II Boomer?

Nevertheless, if you know of a better deal on a 30(+/-)hp 4WD I am all ears. :)

Thanks,

Red

View my Photos
gtgups

2003-02-03          48602

Red, i know the felling not knowing what to buy. after looking & talking & trying to make the deal. i feel i will get an tc33d with SS. dont know if you looked at the SS but it is one neat thing.sorry i can not help but, i do know the feeling. good luck! ....

View my Photos
Kris,From,NC

2003-02-03          48603

Red here is the link to the tractor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26193&item=3309192977

Kris ....

View my Photos
blueisgood

2003-02-03          48609

Red take a look at the dealer in Spartanburg.That is where i got my 33d.I frist looked at them in mewton nc.Guy tried real hard the seel me one,He said it was on sell and was going back up on price the next day i must buy now.But i did not.Went home to think about it a little and went to spartanburg t0 check them out.Thier price was about $1000 cheaper then newtons NC and that was the frist price he gave me.I did not even ask far a better deal or any thing then in newton he was a 1000 beter right out of the bag.If u do buy a new one get the 33 over the 29 it is jut $500 more.Oh all most forgot i payed 13,500 far my 33D just tractor no loader. ....

View my Photos
Red Knuckles

2003-02-03          48615

Thanks for the responses. I didn't mention that I went to Newton on Saturday and already had all the ebay auctions bookmarked because I didn't want anyone else to buy my potential tractor. :)

The Spartanburgh tip is a good one though. I haven't talked with them yet. I was beginning to think that Ted
was about the best I would be able to do. We was definitley $1000 lower than my local dealer on the TC30. If Spartanburgh can get down on the price, and will take a trade, I may just end up going down there. Plus, I may get out of paying the state sales tax.

Thanks again,

Red

View my Photos
Red Knuckles

2003-02-03          48618

BTW....Save me some more research right quick. Does the 30 and 33 have the same engine? I know the 25 and 29 do.

Red ....

View my Photos
Red Knuckles

2003-02-03          48619

Wow, Ted must be trying to put the squeeze on me.

I just found the tractor that I swapped email with him about this morning listed on ebay a few minutes ago. It wasn't there yesterday.

That is the loader I wasn't sure about. It is a Bush Hog. One last question here fellas.

Would you prefer the NH 7308 Loader, or the Bush Hog model curently mounted. Ted said this morning that he would change it out with a new 7308 if I wanted him too.

Red ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Red

2003-02-03          48620

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26193&item=3310145605 ....

View my Photos
blueisgood

2003-02-04          48681

All can say is look around before u buy.If u get in a hurry it will cost you. ....

View my Photos
Red

2003-02-05          48737

I can't believe I broke my own golden rule. :(
"Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are an idiot than to open your mouth and prove them right." I must have really been wound up Monday when I made those posts asking such silly questions. :)

On the upside, I made a deal today. I went with the TC30 gear drive with Woods 1008 loader. I thought long and hard about making them exchange the 1008 for a 1012 loader, but they were seemingly at their limit on bargaining. I know the 1008 doesn't have the capacity of the 1012, but it does have a sweet built in brush guard on it and the bucket doesn't stick out so far in the front. It just looks like a better fit to me. When the dust finally settled.... I wound up buying the unit for $13,000.00 even, plus sales tax, for a total delivered price of $14,015.00.

One last ignorant question before I have them deliver it,if anyone will be kind enough to respond. They are offering to load all four tires with water and methanol for free. Should I only do the rear, or go ahead and fill the front too?

Thanks for wading through the muck of my first, and not very well thought out, thread.

Red

View my Photos
Kris,From,NC

2003-02-05          48740

Congratulations on your tractor, with a FEL on a tractor you can go with wheel weights or fill the rear tires. Their ia a posting about filling tires on the main page that show the pro and con's on this. I for one have my rear tires filed with water and methanol, but not the fronts for I have a loader and felt it was not needed to add weight when I could just fill the loader with dirt ..etc.
Their is another additive which is calcium chloride that is added with water which increases the weight of a gallon of water by x3 (I think), but it is very corrosive to metal and when it comes in contact with metal will rust FAST. Not good for your rims. (just my 2 cents)

Kris ....

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-05          48741

I've seen it advised not to have the front filled. It doesn't add that much weight, the front end loader (even empty) provides some front ballast, and the front tires are much better shock absorbers when left unfilled.
Opinions may vary.
Bill ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-06          48753

I think I'd try it w/o front tire loading and see how often you find yourself carrying weight in the bucket to balance the tractor. I might also check if suitcase weights are compatible with the loader.

I've heard that adapter valves for filling tires are inexpensive and it's pretty to do with with a drill motor pump. I haven't heard of any safety issues about pumping window washer fluid with drill motor pumps--guess somebody will say if there are. ....

View my Photos
Jeff Earthwerks Unli

2003-02-07          48857

Red, just for the record, the number designation (i.e. 25, 29, 33, etc.) on NH TC's refers to the engine horsepower. I have a 33D with Super Steer and love it. I paid $13,500 w/o loader.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login