Go Bottom Go Bottom

Used Ford 1210 vs new TC30

View my Photos
Visitor
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-01-05          34298

I am looking to get a compact/subcompact tractor for primarily mowing a very flat, mostly open 3.5 acres as well as possibly putting in a post and plank fence in addition to small scale gardening and whatever else I can think of to use a tractor for - eg, small scale landscaping. The local New Holland dealer has a used - 900 hr - Ford 1210 (18 HP, 3 cyl diesel) w/ 60" MMM, turf tires for which he is asking $4950. Cosmetically it wouldn't win any beauty contests although the salesman assure me that it wasn't abused - previously owned by an 80 year old farmer who used it primarily for mowing. He also has a new, New Holland TC30 (not a Boomer mind you) w/ 60" MMM, R4 tires for which he's asking $14,000. He tells me that if I bought the used tractor and was unhappy w/ it after some use in the Spring he would credit me $4950 toward a new tractor if I decided I wanted to go that route. He also mentioned that he will have a used Boomer TC29D in the near future. My wife seems to recall his saying it had 500 hrs on it. I only recall him mentioning it had SuperSteer when he was giving some of the details. Is the price for the Ford 1210 reasonable. The money saved would pay for a new boiler I'm having to buy or some implement's for the tractor. Alternatively, should I try to bargain hard w/ him on the new TC30 assuming that, since the introduction of the Boomers, the interest in this model has waned. Or, should I wait to see what's up w/ the used TC29D? If there is not enough info here for anyone to help please advise me as to what are the important details to obtain before re-posting. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
RickB.

2002-01-06          34316

You need to better assess your needs and budget. For your stated mowing needs, the 1210 if it is a hydro, will do the job. It probably does NOT have power steering. A manual transmission would mean no live PTO, not desirable with a MMM. If it is in decent condition, the price isn't bad. Don't plan on removing & installing the MMM easily or quickly. The TC 30 is a recently introduced economy model, not discontinued. The size and power of it and the TC29 do not compare to the 1210, and of course the price doesn't either. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-06          34320

RickB makes some good points. Live PTO is good to have for finish mowing--snow blowing too. Without it, the mower blades start slowing down whenever the tractor is clutched. It's also been said here before that often a used tractor that's been used mostly for mowing can be a bargain. Finish mowing is pretty easy on a tractor. Too bad that many tractors used for mowing don't have a loader.

It is possible that the tractor has live PTO. Some of the larger Ford 10-series compacts offered an optional 3x4 synchromesh transmission that used a 2-stage clutch to provide live PTO. The synchromesh TX had the gearshift on the steering column and the range shift on the TX case. The standard TX has both shifters on the TX case. Too bad my manual doesn't cover the 1210 or I could say for sure.

Power steering for the larger 10-series also was available as an option. I guess that's something else that could be checked. There would be a priority valve near on the hydraulic pump if it has PS.

View my Photos
DavidS

2002-01-11          34436

I have a 1210 HST with a 48"MMM mowing 2+ acres. No complaints what so ever. Had a Hino with 60" 3 point finish mower. 1210 will mow circles around a 3 point mower! $4950 is a fair price. Be very careful of the motor. 1210's w/MMM are prone to everheating as dust from MMM clogs radiator. Overheating=cracked head=$2200 or so to fix. Other than that, great tractor for the money. ....

View my Photos
John Mc

2002-01-20          34783

I'm suprised your dealer jumped all the way from a used 1210 to a new TC30. The TC30 is a nice tractor for the money, but it's a big step up from the 1210.

You might want to take a look at the TC18 or TC21D. They are physically smaller than the TC30. They make good mowers, and will handle some light landscaping (available FEL, box blades, tillers, etc). These tractors are also light enough that you could probably use R4 (industrial) tires without tearing up your lawn: they provide better traction than turf tires, usefull when doing landscape work. I'd look at the models with hydro transmission... these also come with a live PTO, which is greatly preferred for mowing. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-23          37756

Was in to the NH dealer yesterday. The TC30 is a 1725 according to him. He said he would sell the 2x for 10,300 and the 4x for 11,500. I believe this was a good tractor (Tom?). In the TC30 trim I think he said it is 27 Hp PTO. It might be economy to you but at those prices it seems like good value to me. ....

View my Photos
sod

2002-04-23          37760

i owned a 1210 for a lot of years and had little trouble with it.the 1210 had an electric pto clutch on the end of the crank shaft.the one i had was a 10 speed manual trans.it had no power steering though.i ran it for 1500 plus hours and thought a trade to a kubota would be a wise choice.BIG MISTAKE!good luck with your choice. ....

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-04-24          37775

I don't know if this is of any help, but I just bought a TC30 hydro and I just think it's great. I'm using it on my 3 acre lot for landscaping, snow removal, chores. I don't plan on cutting grass with it, but I do think it would do that job well. I paid $11,500 for the TC30 Hydro 4x4, and $3500 for the 7308 loader. I did'nt get a mower, but a 60, 72, and 72 mulcher are available. I was quoted $2500 for the 72 inch mulcher.
Jerry ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-24          37776

I'm sort of sketchy on the history of Ford tractor models through the Fiat/New Holland acquisitions. I wonder if Visitor took the 1210 for trial back in January. I wouldn't think of alternatives of a 1210 or a 1725 as quite addressing the same work needs, but maybe he took the 1210 and decided it would do the work OK. They’re all fine tractors as far as I know. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-24          37778

I was told the TC30 is the same as the Ford and being assembled in Japan. They are selling it as the discount tractor against the small Kubotas and Deere. To me it is more of a true work tractor than either light weight tractor. Certainly the HP is greater. ....

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-04-24          37789

The TC30 competes with the Kubota L3000DT and the John Deere 790. All of these machines are the lower-cost entry with 30 hp each. The one thing that the TC30 offers (option) that Kubota and Deere don't offer is the hydro trans.
Jerry

View my Photos
Peters

2002-04-27          37902

The manual TC30 is column shift, like shuttle vs stick for the 790. I am not sure about the Kubota. ....

View my Photos
SNK

2002-05-01          38039

Beware of Price. Our Dealership is currently selling tc30 hydros witha 7308 loader for 14,000 out the door. So 14 for the tractor your decribing sounds high. I would also recomend looking into a tc18 or 21. I guess with the tc 30 your getting alot of tractor for your money but why get it if you dont need it. Also the tc 30 doesnt offer a folding rops so if you have a 7ft garage door it may not fit. Just a few things you gotta watch. All of the Newholland tc series tractors have been excellent. I have never seen very few of them coming back for something major. I am a mechanic not a salesman and i wouldnt be afraid to buy a newholland. but this is my 2 sense worth ....

View my Photos
Marsh

2002-06-10          39461

SNK,

Please tell me where your dealer is located and his phone number & address. My local New Holland dealer quoted a price of $16300 for the TC30 w/hydro and 7308 loader.

Thanks,

Marsh ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-06-11          39466

Where are you located? The dealer here in northern AL can match or beat that price. ....

View my Photos
Marsh

2002-06-11          39476

My dealer is located in Central Missouri, but I'm willing to make a trip if the price is right.

Marsh ....

View my Photos
TC33

2002-06-11          39484

You might get a better price but will you get better service. If something breaks will you have to go way out of your way when the local dealer would of taken care of you just because you are " HIS CUSTOMER !" ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-06-11          39488

I guess as a mechanically inclined person that has repair almost anything on a tractor including the hydraulic control units, turbo and the fuel injection pump. If he is not willing to compete with the other NH dealers then he does not desire to be in business and certainly does not need my business.
I had the local Dodge dealer pull a similar stunt. I am articulate enough and with the right connections at Chrysler that a few choice letters lowered his five star rating.
The idea that you can only respond to the local people and hold them captive is long gone. We may soon be purchasing much we need off the thing you are communicating with now.
I am 2.5 hours out of Memphis.
Peters ....

View my Photos
Marsh

2002-06-12          39495

Does anyone know where SNK's dealer is located? The TC30 price they are quoting him appears to be the best around.

Marsh ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login