Go Bottom Go Bottom

Starting to shop

View my Photos
Stan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-11-30          33561

Hi. OK, I've been looking a long time, and now I'm getting closer. We have a small equine therapy business, non-profit in ALL senses of the word. The work is "piling up" w/ 6 horses here now. Looking for CT w/ FEL, 3pt, power steering, HST, etc. Found a used 1925 and TC29D, both about 200 hrs, both w/ factory loaders, HST, etc. Similar conditions. The 1925 was a lease or rental, local dealer got it from NH. The TC29D is a local trade at a NH dealer. I have the brochures on both tractors (I saved the 1925 one when they were new and I almost bought before). The 1925 does have a little hydraulic "whine" when traveling and raising bucket. Both units w/ a couple hundred of each (14,200 and 14,500 - the TC is a little cheaper).

So - the "boss" says I can buy, the bank says I can...and so far no one is donating one for the tax writeoff. Just need to know if these are good values. I like all the "colors". There's a JD 955 that's too pricy, even w/ the mid mower and curtis cab, and there's some nice new Kubotas nearby. Advice???

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Starting to shop

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-12-01          33571

Stan, I'm not familiar with the 1925, but have a cousin who has a TC29D. You mention a "whine" in the 1925 and without hearing, it there's no way I could say whether it's normal or not, but as far as I know ALL the HSTs have a certain amount of hydraulic whine. If those tractors are in good condition, the prices sound pretty good to me. And 200 hours is hardly broken in. Personally, I'd go for the TC, but that may only be because I'm familiar with it and not the 1925. ....

Starting to shop

View my Photos
Stan

2001-12-01          33573

Bird -
The "whine" is not the constant sound you hear from an HST. It is like the sound you got in older cars w/ power steering when you held the wheel over hard. More of a squeal I guess. Dealer thought possible low fluid...but we didn't check it at the time.

Starting to shop

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-12-01          33577

Stan, that would definitely need checking. Low fluid or relief valve? ....

Starting to shop

View my Photos
PJDrew

2001-12-01          33581

Stan,
Sounds like good prices and a couple of good choices. You mentioned that the TC was at your local IH dealer. I really value a good dealer and if they are decent to work with, that is worth a lot. My local IH dealer only carries the lawn tractor Cubs but can get any part for my Cub 7275 and they has been really helpful with filters etc. I have 3 horses and 3 mules and a small acreage and have found the tractor invaluable. We just got under 30" of snow this week and the Cub with loader, blade and blower can handle this no problem. (Just don't let your wife know how much fun your having) The other good news is that most of these tractors hold their value very well and the cost to operate them over the years is very little. My Cub is likely worth as much or more today than I paid for it. Regards PJ Drew ....

Starting to shop

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-12-02          33596

Stan;
You did not give the year of each. Often the HST will whine when moving, at least with the JDs I have worked with. I would negociate with the dealer the 1925 being an older tractor should allow him to come off the price.

Having horses bigger is better for the applications you are considering, I made the move up to greater HP this year. The 1925 is a larger tractor and will provide you with more power and stability for the tasks. Field mowing requires HP and if you need to mow the field, at any speed you need the HP.

Also are these 4x4? This makes a difference in the price. I have thrown out my NH brouchers and am not sure if this was an option or standard on the 29D.

Peters ....

Starting to shop

View my Photos
Stan

2001-12-02          33598

Both are 4x4. I think the TC29D was 2yrs old, the 1925 probably 3-4 I'm guessing. And i'll have to check, the 1925 may have had 400-500 hrs, not 200 or so. Still not old for a disel, just not as new. Gotta take better notes when I look instead of standing there drooling !!!

Anyone got any comments on a JD955 4x4 HST, 600hrs, 420 loader, 72" mid mower, curtis cab, turfs, $16,500. I always liked this model for size, etc. But it is a lot lighter than the others. How have they held up. I have noticed on the CTB and at the dealers that the green paint holds the money in better. ....

Starting to shop

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-12-02          33601

Stan;
I bought a 99 model this spring, with FEL and 300hrs on R4s. I negociated for 11.5K in a private deal. I bought a new finish mower for the 3pt and I am in for 12.5K. I have not seen much difference with it an the heavier 750 I had. I guess the question you need to ask is how much will you use it and how much strain you are going to apply. I average maybe 100 hours per year, but I have a second larger tractor for field mowing. This takes me to the year 2018 before I have significant hours on this machine. ....

Starting to shop

View my Photos
Jiffyjam

2001-12-02          33605

I have recently owned a nice JD 755 and have recently purchased a Kubota L3010. The Kubota is very impressive and right now you should be able to get 3.99 w/ no money down. Hope this helps. Tom Smith ....

Starting to shop

View my Photos
Stan

2001-12-03          33635

Tom - like the bigger Kubota too...but storage space is a concern (especially since someone just donated another horse, and I'm now putting up another stall in "my" half of the barn).

Good thought though - am I getting close w/ the used prices to that of a new unit? OH BOY, and I thought I was getting close. ....

Starting to shop

View my Photos
Snk

2002-05-01          38040

Be leary of the deer. I know were there is a jd 855 with 360 hours on it that you could prolly buy really cheap. from what i gather they haven been known for thier reliability. I would go with either a kubota or the tc29. For the moeny the 29 would be your better bet to me cause of the year. kubota makes a really good tractor to. your best bet would be to stick to a newholland or kubota. ....

Starting to shop

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-02          38051

What type of price for the 855? See later post I am looking for an inexpensive one for a project tractor. ....

Starting to shop

View my Photos
Stan

2002-05-02          38056

snk -
yes,despite the dates on the original posts, I'm still looking for the right tractor/price. Where is the 855, and what are they asking for it. And if its a project tractor -I've got too many projects already... ....

Starting to shop

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-02          38058

Stan; New Holland has just introduced a TC30 which is a revamped 1725 (I think from the specs). From what people have said the 1725 was a good tractor. It is even available with hydro drive. You could get this unit here new with loader for less than 14K. With current financing? You might want to look at the NH dealer again? ....

Starting to shop

View my Photos
Stan

2002-05-02          38072

Thanks for the suggestion. I saw a TC30, but w/ gears, and it looked like a good solid little tractor. HST is on the "must" list. I'll have to look again.

Our local NH dealer tends to be kinda pricey, but there's one about 40-50 miles away that has a good reputation. (the other Ford / NH stuff I saw was on a wholesalers lot, and the more I researched here and looked at, I stayed away from the ones on his lot)

Thanks again. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login