Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
Michael
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-08          17029

I live in New England and recently bought a TC29S FWD with live PTO, fold-down ROPS, deluxe 3 point hitch, engine heater, 7308 loader with HD 60" bucket, R4 tires, and calcium chloride in rear tires. Total price out the door (tax not included) was $14,900.I love my tractor!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
BigFinn

2000-06-11          17115

Michael, sounds like you got a good deal. I bought the same tractor except is was a TC 29 with the 9x3 tran. live PTO, folding ROPS, 7308 loader w/HD bucket, engine block heater, fluid in the tires for $14780. What is the TC29S? I don't know what the "S" stands for. ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
Michael

2000-06-12          17121

Sounds like we bought pretty much the same tractor. The 'S' stands for standard. Mine also has a 9x3 and--I'd guess like yours--the shifter is not on the floor but up by the steering wheel. What state are you located in? What kind of tires did you get? What do you use the tractor for? ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
BigFinn

2000-06-12          17145

Michael, yes it sounds as if we bought the same tractor, except I have the Ag tires. I test drove one that did not have a live PTO and the gearshift was down low. I did not know that the shift for the live PTO came on the dash untill my dealer delivered the tractor--but I definately prefer it there! I had to wait 7 weeks from the time I ordered it. I am in Wisconsin, Packer Country actually, and use the tractor a little around the house, but I also own 119 acres in the northern part of the state that I am partially converting to a Christmas tree farm. This is where the tractor is being used to build roads, cut grass,etc. I only have 30 hours on it (got it in early May) but I am very pleased with the machine. How bout you? ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
Michael

2000-06-13          17152

The dealer where I test drove didn't have a 29 with a live PTO. As with you, I drove one of the standard models with the shifter on the floor. Since I use mine mostly for ag work, I didn't see any problem with the non-live PTO. However, that dealer wasn't at all responsive. I ended up calling a dealer in a neighboring state--both dealers are approximately the same distance from me--and he happened to have a 29LIVE sitting on his lot. He described it to me, made the price much cheaper than the non-live his competitor was trying to sell me, and was able to deliver it the next day. I've got 18 acres in Vermont and have started a very small Christmas tree farm. I've also tilled about 1/2 acre for a combination pumpkin patch and vegetable garden. We're located just outside town and look forward to trying our hand at a roadside stand. I got mine in April and have almost 40 hours on it. I mowed my fields last year with one of those walk-behind brush cutters--what a difference a 5' brush hog makes! I'm very glad that the second dealer mentioned the live PTO--I don't think I'd be as happy with a non-live PTO. It's come in handy with the tiller. Did you spend a lot of time negotiating the price? What was the dealer's starting point? ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
BigFinn

2000-06-13          17165

I got prices from several dealers in WI., as well as one or two out of state. All dealers where within $750 of each other. I went to the dealer I liked the best (wasn't the closest, unfortunatly) and told him I wanted to buy a tractor from him, but he needed to beat all the others in price. He did. I also used the tractor to till a garden this spring. I rented one for $100/day. Luckily the neighbors had me do there gardens as well and we all split the cost. My 12'x40' garden took all of 5 minutes to till! Do you own a tiller? ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
Michael

2000-06-13          17166

In addition to the tractor, I splurged and got a 5' rotary mower, a 5' King Kutter gear-driven tiller, a 6' blade, a one row cultivator, and a 15" middle-buster. I've had no problems with any of them. The tiller worked wonderfully--much better than being dragged around the 50'x30' garden my wife has me get ready each year. Instead of a half day of tilling, I had everything tilled and the rows laid out within an hour. I've also used the tiller on the 1/2 acre that I'm growing pumpkins and vegetables in--worked like a charm. The cultivator has come in somewhat handy though I wish my soil had a little less clay. The cultivator has a tendency to cultivate some pretty big chunks of soil. Guess I really should have spent that extra year getting the fields ready. I've used the blade to distribute rocks on my gravel drive. Doesn't work all that well--kind of wish I bought a box scraper. I settled on the blade cause it'll be my back up for snow removal. ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
SOB

2000-06-19          17316

Michael: Sounds like the tractor I hope to get this fall. What's the difference between a live and non-live pto? What's the benefits vs. drawbacks?
SOB ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
Michael

2000-06-19          17317

Standard TCs (e.g. gear-shift) have non-live PTO/single-stage clutch. When you put the clutch in to stop the tractor, power to the PTO also stops. The TC29 live has a live PTO with a two-stage clutch. The clutch has three settings--fully out, partially in, and fully in. Fully out engages the drive wheels and--if turned on by the hand control--the PTO. Partially in engages only the PTO--again, if turned on by the hand control. Fully in engages nothing. On a non-live PTO, certain implements (such as a rotary cutter) may require an overrunning PTO clutch--a $50-$75 part that fits between the PTO shaft on the tractor and the driveline and allows a spinning PTO shaft to continue spinning once power from the tractor is stopped. Live PTO effectively allows you to have the PTO running while the tractor is standing still and/or allows to you stop and start the tractor movement while the PTO continues to be powered. ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
Michael

2000-06-19          17318

I should have also mentioned that the HST transmissions on the deluxe TCs all have live PTO. If you spend the extra money for an HST, part of what you're buying is the ability to run the PTO independently of the tractor drive train. ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
J. Dubbs

2000-06-19          17328

Michael,
You seem to know a lot about the TC29. I just received a quote from a dealer for a TC29, ROPS, 4wd, R4's, deluxe 3pt. hitch for $11,900. Just wondering if this is a good price. Thanks, J. Dubbs.

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
Michael

2000-06-20          17332

Doesn't sound like the quote included a 7308 loader. If I remember correctly, my dealer assigned an approximately $3,000 value to it. The remainder of my $14,900 purchase price--$11,900--went towards the tractor and all of its associated goodies. Depending on features, the price you've got is slightly higher than what BigFinn and I paid. However, that may be what your local market bears. Are you looking at a 29SLIVE or 29S? Both BigFinn and I got live PTO. While I don't know dealer cost on either, I do believe the dealer pays more for the 29SLIVE. Also, my dealer priced out the engine heater at around $50 and the calcium chloride in rear tires at around $100. Depending on your local market and whether or not you're looking at a 29SLIVE or 29S, there may be a couple of hundred dollars ($200-$600) still sitting on the table that you could go after. ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
SOB

2000-06-20          17336

Thanks Michael. So I guess after strugling w/ the non live pto on my old ford 9n, the live pto would be more helpfull. Especially when starting and stopping w/ a 5' Brushhog... ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
Michael

2000-06-20          17337

If all you're running is a brush hog, I wouldn't go through the added expense of a live PTO. When the PTO and tractor driveline are clutched, an overrunning PTO clutch would allow the brush hog's blade momentum to continue. Unless you're mowing really tall, thick, or wet stuff, my experience says you'll have more than enough time to put the tractor into a different gear and reengage the clutch. Once I get the brush hog going, it doesn't want to stop! A live PTO would be handy if you've got a tiller and you want to really till the soil in one spot. You could position the tractor, turn on the tiller, and sit there until you were happy with the soil consistency. You could then inch the tractor forward a bit, stop, and continue tilling.. Snowblowers are the same thing, I hear. I haven't used one yet, but I understand that if you're trying to blow a lot of snow, you want a live PTO. Switching speeds on a non-live TC gear shift means clutching. Clutching on these machines means no PTO power. No PTO power with a 5 or 6 foot snow blower nosed into 1-3 feet of snow could mean a clogged chute. ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
J. Dubbs

2000-06-20          17348

Michael,
Yes, the quote included live PTO, and I am dealing in southwestern PA. I returned to the dealer today and again discussed price and as far as I can discern he has approximately $11,250 in the tractor. Do you feel this is an accurate figure? The quote did not include a loader, I'm attempting to negotiate implements separately, but the dealer is resisting, trying to mix/match and fudge numbers. ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
Michael

2000-06-21          17361

I don't know what dealer cost on a TC is. If you take away the components of my package that aren't in yours, I'd say there are still a couple of hundred dollars on the table. Of course, my dealer may have made much more money on the loader than I think. Having been in your shoes and wanting a 7308 loader, I had it all included in a package. If you're planning on buying a 7308, I'd just as soon have it included. If, with a 7308, the dealer comes in at less than $14,700, I'd jump at it. But it's very easy for me to spend someone else's money! ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
J. Dubbs

2000-06-21          17374

Michael,

The dealer offered the loader for $2,800 bringing the total to exactly $14,700. Compared to other dealers in my area the deal seems pretty reasonable. My initial inquiry regarding the tractor only brought quotes ranging from $12,200 to $13,800, almost a $2,000 difference from one dealer to the other. Also, I was not happy with the fact NH removed the engine panels and provided a substandard floor mat on the 29. I asked my dealer to install the panels and provide the better mat that is on the 29D, which they agreed to do. The mat is not a big deal, but protecting the engine from dust, mud, etc I believe is important. Upon closer inspection you will notice the bracket holes, which secure the engine panels, are drilled in the engine frame, and that NH simply does not include them on the 29. ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
Michael

2000-06-21          17375

My only other input would be to make sure to get some type of rear weight if you intend on doing any substantial loader work. Whether you get a 3 point weight box, rear wheel weights, or something put into the rear tires doesn't matter. Without it, you'll notice the tractor gets a little light in the rear when you pick up anything substantial with the loader. ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
BigFinn

2000-06-21          17390

J. Dubbs, $14,700 sounds like a great price--if it has the live PTO. As Michael said that is probably a $200 - $600 option. I feel live PTO to be well worth the extra cost. I was used to a 8N pulling a brush hog, and belive me my TC29 pulling a flail mower is pure heaven. I can shift gears without waiting for the mower to stop turning. Either way you won't be disapointed in the TC29. ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
J. Dubbs

2000-06-22          17411

Well, just signed the dotted line on a TC29, folding ROPS, deluxe hitch, R4's, live PTO and a 60" Landpride rear mount finish mower for $13,120. I couldn't find a better deal,I hope it's worth it! The insight provided on this board is great. I'll be back on soon looking for advice on a loader. Thanks. P.S. For all the standard TC29 owners out there my dealer provided me the engine panels that cover and protect the motor. My dealer agreed that removing the panels is a marketing ploy to give the tractor a stripped down appearance when compared to the 29D, thus, hoping that the consumer will spend the extra $1500 to $1800 for the D model. The frame near the engine is predrilled to accomodate the panels, NH simply removed them. ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
Nathan

2000-06-27          17500

J.Dubs

Hello my name is Nathan, my wife and I have 12.6 acres in Texas. We are looking to purchase a tractor. I have spent time serching the web, but I;m having trouble finding out some info. Can you help me of direct me to the correct place....???

Nathan ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-06-27          17503

Nathan, what part of Texas are you in, and what information are you looking for? ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
J. Dubbs

2000-06-27          17506

Nathan,

Hello, I maintain about the same agreage as you do. First, I decided on a compact tractor, which range from 18 to 35 HP. Second, I found the Compact tractor message board and read every thread for the past year on the the top three compact tractor manufacturers, Kubota, John Deere and New Holland. I learned a lot from this board regarding good features, problems, prices and implement use on each brand. I then visited a dealer representing the above mentioned brands, had him explain my options and tractor features, and test drove each tractor. When I narrowed my choice down to one manufacturer I called ten dealers in my area and received price quotes, this is important, I had some dealers two thousand dollars apart on just the tractor.

In addition, I queried Carver Equipment from the tractor board, www.Tractorsmart.com, and www.jdlawns.com for addtional pricing.

I eliminated John Deere due to front axle problems with their 4000 series compact tractors and eliminated Kubota due to less tractor weight and higher prices than New Holland. After deciding on New Holland I queried www.NewHolland.com and found all the dealers in my area through their dealer finder feature at the web site.

I hope this helps you, I am thoroughly pleased with my choice of a New Holland Boomer. I think Deere and Kubota have their hands full with this line of New Holland tractors. Jason. ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
Al

2000-09-05          19509

I live in upstate New York. I am looking to purchase a TC 29D w/ 4W Dr,
Ag tires and hydrostatic trans. I would also like to included a 7308 loader. I went over to my local dealer and he is quoting me a price for the above package of $17,700. After reading some of the prices in this thread, I feel that this
price is very high. Anybody with any experience on a price in the great northeast for a similar package? Sounds like I'm being asked to pay the shot to send the dealer's kids to college! Aleit, the salesman has some room for "movement". What say? ....

TC29SLIVE

View my Photos
Michael

2000-09-06          19518

I bought mine at a dealer in upstate New York. See my message that starts the thread for information on what I bought and for how much. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login