Go Bottom Go Bottom

massey ferguson tractor

View my Photos
Dogman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-11-29          21935

I am new to this forum and would like to know if anybody has a massey 1240 .I would like to know any known problems,or any compliments that anyone might have..I am considering purchasing one of these in about a year..Also looking at all other colors of paint.The price I got is about 14,500...Is this good or bad.Price is with r4 tires and 16x16 tranny

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

massey ferguson tractor

View my Photos
JerryGoucher

2000-11-30          21976

Dogman,
I have a 1250-4. I have had it for 14 months and have put about 600 hours on it. It has been a fine tractor. I have done just about everything with it. I have backhoed,bushhogged, plowed, used the loaded,dug post holes, decaked poultry houses, raked hay and hauled in large round bales. Other than hoursepower and the seat, the 1240 and the 1250 are not much different. I would recommend it to anyone. The only problem that I have had is a leaking o-ring and the dealer fixed it.
JerryG ....

massey ferguson tractor

View my Photos
JerryGoucher

2000-11-30          21978

Dogman,
I have a 1250-4. I have had it for 14 months and have put about 600 hours on it. It has been a fine tractor. I have done just about everything with it. I have backhoed,bushhogged, plowed, used the loaded,dug post holes, decaked poultry houses, raked hay and hauled in large round bales. Other than horsepower and the seat, the 1240 and the 1250 are not much different. I would recommend it to anyone. The only problem that I have had is a leaking o-ring and the dealer fixed it.
JerryG ....

massey ferguson tractor

View my Photos
Dogman

2000-11-30          21985

Jerry
Thank you for your reply but i am curious what tranny you have in your tractor..I am torn between the hydro and sync- shift..Price will have some bearing on what I buy, but i plan to buy a loader someday..I am looking at massey loaders but had a real high price from a local dealer ....

massey ferguson tractor

View my Photos
JerryGoucher

2000-11-30          21986

Dogman,
I have the 16 speed shuttle. I have a gear for anything that I need to do.
I am a gear person, I don't like hydros.
JerryG ....

massey ferguson tractor

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-11-30          21993

I don't have a Massey, but some of the questions you ask are universal. I do test drive MF now and again; a good friend of mine is a Massey dealer so we get to talk about the tractors.
About transmissions: Personally, I don't care for the old collar shift non-syncro transmissions that plagued tractors 20 years ago. But I do like a clutch for those times when you want to sneak up on something tricky - like using the corner of the bucket to position a big rock. Or when you need to jerk on something with the sudden weight of the tractor. For me the perfect compromise is a shuttle shift where I can go from forward to reverse with one throw of the lever. The first shuttle shifts had the forward to reverse syncromesh, but the various forward gears were not. The modern syncro shuttle shift is even better.
As for the loaders, my dealer friend says the same thing: Massey loaders are too expensive for his customers. There are a variety of aftermarket loaders available that are every bit as good. He prefers GB loaders for their heavy construction and the way they fit on the MF.

massey ferguson tractor

View my Photos
Dogman

2000-11-30          21994

Roger
What part of the country are you from..Im from the kc area ..I am wondering if we are talking aBOUT the same dealer ....

massey ferguson tractor

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-11-30          22000

Shucks...Probably not. Mine is in Denver. I live in Colorado - back in the mountains a ways. ....

massey ferguson tractor

View my Photos
Dogman

2000-11-30          22001

Well the dealer is quoting me 3500.00 for a great bend loader and the same
for a massey loader.I,m about six months from my purchase so I have some
time to look.. I am getting some good prices on massey tractors from
tractorsmart.com they are 1000.00 to 2000.00 cheaper than the kc boys..
I originally was set on buying a 4400 john Deere but after reading all the
threads have just about ruled that out

massey ferguson tractor

View my Photos
Markus Dammermann

2000-12-07          22223

I have owned a 1240 for about 8 months. The tractor and loader cost about $16,500. I have used it with a scraper, box blade, rotary cutter, small ripper and FEL applications. The tractor has about 70 hours so far and has worked great. I like the 16 x 16 with the shuttle, even though most of the two slow ranges (creeper gears) are hardly ever used because they are too slow for most applications. My tractor has R4 tires, which give plenty of traction and do a great job with loader work and other earth-moving applications. The only thing I would do differently next time is to order the tractor with a block heater. I have not had any starting problems yet, but I believe that there is a lot less cold starting wear on the engine if it is hooked up to a block heater prior to starting in cold weather. I checked out a lot of other makes before buying, but I think the MF 1240 is good value for money and has a lot of features and performance characteristics which are superior to other brands. ....

massey ferguson tractor

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-12-08          22231

Markus, you might look farther at the block heater. I agree that it is valuable in cold weather to reduce wear even if your motor will start when cold. On most tractors that block heater is an inexpensive and easy-to-install accessory part. The best ones look like a miniature hot water heater element and often install through a threaded hole already in the block. I'll check on the heaters today. ....

massey ferguson tractor

View my Photos
Dogman

2000-12-08          22249

markus
What brand of loader do you have ....

massey ferguson tractor

View my Photos
Markus Dammermann

2000-12-09          22287

Dogman, I have the MF 1246 loader. Seems to be well built and has grease zerks on all bushings. Lift and breakout performance is ok, but the hydraulics seem to be a bit slow. The tractor needs plenty of revs to get reasonnable cycle times. The single lever joystick valve was a bit sticky when it was new, and the dealer reworked it. It moves easier now, but I think oil flow is still a bit poor, especially when you operate two functions at once. The slowest function is bucket roll (dump)which is a nuisance because you expect it to be quick, since gravity helps, but that of cours does not count with double acting cylinders. On the plus side, the double acting cylinders are usefull because you can push the loader down of you need to have something compacted. It will raise the tractor front wheels off the ground when the main cylinders are fully retracted. As far as I know there are two options for locating the valve with the joystick. You can have it mounted on the tractor or on the loader. Mine is on the loader. It is still within reasonnable close reach, although in that respect the fender mounted version is better. I have so far never detached the loader from the tractor, so I cannot comment on how easy or difficult it is to get the loader on or off. With the loader and the front grille guard on, access to the battery from the front becomes a problem, but so far I have had no need to get to the battery. ....

massey ferguson tractor

View my Photos
mike millspaw

2000-12-30          22935

have had 1250 since spring and have 100 hrs on it. Here are a few observations(ordered with 1246 loader with tractor mounted joystick the larger r4 tires 4x4 and 1231 midmount 6ft deck) First the tractor-very pleased with comfort, handling, and power r4 tires a good compromise for lawm work and loader work. Tried running a New Idea 7ft cut-conditioner-had plenty of power but tractor too light-shook tractor badly (i realy didnt think it would work but had to try) I have about 50 acres i mow once a year. The only other problem i see is cooling capacity-while mowing heavy wet wiregrass about 3 ft tall ran hot had to stop letrun to cool down then continue. this is probably common to all compacts as they just dont hold much coolant. Also radiator screen plugs easily causing to run warm but easy to clean off then runs fine. I like the shuttle shift-easy to use Very comfortable to operate
Loader-like the tractor joystick as when you remove the loader or disconnent hoses you have acess for 2 rear remotes. Loader seems quite strong only complaint is cycle time with tractor at idle especially dump-ok if rpms raised
now the deck- does a good job of cutting sure can make a big yard in little time with 6ft cut. easy to take off or put on only complaints are this is the first year of the big loader tires raises height of tractor so mowe hits tires before deck high enough to hit upstop/transport lock. fix is to add 2 inches to transport bracket that bolts to tractor. Also the manual shows different lift links for 6 ft vs 5 ft deck-mine came with 5 ft seem light to me. Dealer hasnt checked if wrong links so far and Massey nor Agco has a web sight to email questions. I believe the deck is actually made by taylor pittsburg cannot find anything on them on web either
dealers- priced same tractor from 3 dealers equally far from home (30 miles) price varied by 2000.00 pays to shop
overall very satisfied would purchase same tractor again. Had looked at both Kubota and New holland tc33d equiped the same price comparable but liked standard transmission and flat floor of Massey ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login