Go Bottom Go Bottom

Researching a MF 1030

View my Photos
Scot
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-03          16860

I am looking to buy a MF 1030 tractor and would like to get some info about reliability, hp rating, problems. Any info would be great. Thanks - Scot

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Researching a MF 1030

View my Photos
dave piper

2000-06-04          16877

Scot. MF 1o3o was built from 1984 to 1991. PTO hp. 23 engine around 30. Engine made by Toysha 3 cyls. 87 cid, has 12 forward and 3 reverse gears, live PTO. hitch lift cap. is 1734 # weight is 2990. With all that said, my brother owns one of these with about 1200 hrs. on it. He has rebuilt the front end twice at $1500 each for parts alone. He considers himself lucky because all the others he is aware of have blown engines which he is told are unrepairable. No dealer will take it in trade, so he uses it very lightly and hopes for the best.Hope this is of value to you. Dave in Vt. ....

Researching a MF 1030

View my Photos
Bob Snyder

2000-06-04          16879

I purchased a 1987 MF1030 last fall with 940 hours. I have added 50 hours. Although purchased from a Cub Cadet dealer "as is" the only things broken were bad connections to the rear lights and amp meter. Twenty minute job to fix both. I really like the tractor (features/capability). The low gears are not needed for power but are great for control in tight spaces. My tractor has a MF1016 loader. I was told by the MF dealer that the rear wheels need to be ballasted if used with loader. This prevents damage caused to front drive (rear wheels lift and all power is transferred thru front end). MF voided warrentee for tractors used with loader and no ballast. Maybe just an excuse to blame user for design weakness. Everything seems in good shape on my tractor but I am interested in any other comments in this string. I have seen one or two owners looking for an engine head. Most heads can be repaired cheaper by welding. Can most other parts be found?
Bo ....

Researching a MF 1030

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2000-06-04          16885

It sounds like this tractor must have a weak front end if they are giving this warning. I have heard the same warning on other tractors, but for safety reasons, not mechanical durability. I use a loader with my 790 without ballast and have had no scares yet. ....

Researching a MF 1030

View my Photos
Bob Snyder

2000-06-05          16926

Dave,
Does your brother's tractor have front wheel drive? Mine has. What breaks and what use is the tractor put to? Does he use a front loader? Tire type and ballast? What about the blown engines? Is it the head or something else? What are the symptoms? Are the tractors early or late models? Any information would be appreciated.
Bob ....

Researching a MF 1030

View my Photos
dave piper

2000-06-05          16932

Bob. The 1030 is 4wd. and has a loader. Tires are 700x16 front 13.6 rear and loaded [rears]. It is used as a general purpose tractor on his beef farm. He has four other tractors in ascending size so this one is never tasked with something it should'nt be doing. I will give him a call for more specific info. on the front end problems but I believe it was the outboard units[planetarys?] that broke. His has had no engine problems so info on that is second hand but I do remember that the heads were part of the problem. He has started haying so catching up with him may take a few days but I will post again when I have more specific info. Almost forgot, tractor is 1987 purchased new. Regards, Dave in Vt. ....

Researching a MF 1030

View my Photos
Bob Snyder

2000-06-06          16939

Thanks, Dave.
Sounds like the same tractor I have. Is your brother using front drive most of the time and on hard ground or pavement? The front drive runs at 5% lead (faster than rear wheels) which improves traction and control but adds to wear on tires and gears when traction is good. I believe this is normal on four wheel drive tractors.
Also, what needed to be replaced and where did he get the parts? New? Were there any symptoms of pending failure. One of my front axles did have some water in the gear box when I changed fluid right after I bought the tractor.
Thanks for your help,
Bob ....

Researching a MF 1030

View my Photos
Jerri Neese

2000-06-06          16940

Sort of interested in following this topic myself. I own a Hinomoto E2304 the grey market MF 1030. It is a 4wd, I have a loader and so far I have been pleased. I have only put about 100 hours on the tractor myself, but so far no problems. ....

Researching a MF 1030

View my Photos
dave piper

2000-06-06          16952

Bob. Tractor is only run in FWD when absolutely necessary. One of its jobs is to move round bales to feed lot but this is done with rear bale spear. I have used this tractor many times and it is my opinion that it has much more than the recommended 5 to 7% lead time. Moving dirt with it when he was building his house the front tires seemed to be "ratcheting" which would indicate severe axle windup. As to the problems: It involved seals leaking in the outer drives which allowed water in which ruined complex bearings and shaft splines. As to the engines; Again he has had no problem but the 10 or so that were in a pile behind the former dealership had all started with some sort of head problem and went downhill from there. They had all failed within 300 hrs. and were under warranty. I doubt that either of you will have problems with engines since they have lasted this long. He was unable to offer any help on a source of parts since MF discontinued the model and apparently lost interest in building pieces for it. I think his last set of bearings came from some sort of specialty store but am not sure since he has a tendency to talk faster than I can understand ,especially when it's early in the morning. In all other ways these are a good tractor, fast powerful hydraulics, good ergonomics etc. wishing you luck. Dave in Vt.
P.S. If the electrical system ever goes completely dead I have a cure for that too.
(This message was edited by MRS., who can actually spell. We did this for you, Kim Hartshorn!) ....

Researching a MF 1030

View my Photos
Jerri Neese

2000-06-07          16980

Let me say this about parts, I had to scrounge what I will call a couple of hard parts for this tractor. A pto shaft and a pto countershaft. It is a long story as to what happened, but it was not the fault of the tractor. Anyway, purchased the pto shaft through the dealer but for the pto shaft the dealer wanted a $1,000.00. After I picked myself up and dusted myself off, I contacted some of the grey dealers and ordered the part direct from Japan at $50.00 including shipping. So parts are available, but not always easy to locate.

Jerri

PS Remember mine is the grey market Hinomoto ....

Researching a MF 1030

View my Photos
Jerri Neese

2000-06-08          17024

Dave,

I note your comment about a dealer in Vermont with 10 1030's which could possibly be salvaged in the future for used parts. Could you provide the name of the dealer and a phone number. Don't need anything right now but you never know.

Thanks,

Jerri ....

Researching a MF 1030

View my Photos
dave piper

2000-06-08          17028

Jerri. Sorry to say , but that dealership closed about 4 years ago. The items iI referred to were just trashed engine blocks that were headed to the scrap yard. Maybe they were melted down to make axles for John Deeres. Regards, Dave ....

Researching a MF 1030

View my Photos
Jerri Neese

2000-06-08          17046

Oh well thanks anyway Dave. Hey, one thing I have been mulling over and curious more than anything else. My tractor as I mentioned is straight from Japan and says "Hinomoto". It is very similar to the 1030 with minor differences, one the 4 speed pto and it appears tire sizes. Now my tractor has 7-14 ag tires front and Massey calls out for 6-14 or 7-14 tires for the 1030. On the rear I have 9.5-24 Ags where Massey calls for a 11.2-24 which would be a larger circumfrence tire. Anyway, I note many folks discussing circumference of tires in regard to front and rear to avoid excessive lead or lag at the front tires. Last, I have not noted any excessive torquing of my front tires when in 4wd. Don't know if my tire size has made this difference or not?

Jerri ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login