Go Bottom Go Bottom

Putting Down New Seed

View my Photos
bobkro
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-03-10          152061

I want to establish a new lawn over soil with a high clay content, and could use some advice.

Last fall, on about 1/2 acre, I tilled down 6 inches, and added dolomite limestone per spec, and twelve yards of topsoil. (The Ph is now 6.8) I then put down annual rye grass as a cover crop over the winter.

This spring, I want to put down new Tall Fescue seed. Should I till the rye under, and if so, to what depth?

The nurseryman where I got the seed says to "just get the seed in contact with the ground" when I sow it, which implies that I don't need to rake the seed in/cover it over at all.

Advice on how to sow the seed and work it in would be appreciated. Would a harrow rake be useful to work it in? I hand-raked the annual rye last fall, and that took a while.

b

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Putting Down New Seed

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-03-11          152068

Bob; We need Murf to jump in on this one. To me it sounds like you have did everything right so far, and the nursreyman is correct meaning that tiny grass seeds only need a bit of cover. If you have access to a cultipacker they do wonders to help new seedings. Frank. ....

Putting Down New Seed

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-11          152078

Spreading and working topsoil isn't really adding much to the soil unless it has a really high content of organic material. I know of many a con-man "topsoil dealer" who run pure clay through a screener and call it "screened top soil" and people buy it at $10-25 a yard thinking because it's fluffy and pretty it's good to use. When it gets wet and dries they have concrete. Pure compost is the best thing--if you HAVE to ammend it at all.

Frankly, when I seed lawns, all I do it slightly loosen the top 1/2" or so, spread the grass seed thickly--double the amount recommended, fertilize with Milorganite (dried human poop--which when dry doesn't really smell--get it moist and--it smells really FRESH). Keep it watered and you'll have a lush lawn in a few weeks.

If erosion or intense sunlight is an issue, spread a 4-6" layer of loose straw over it. The seedling will grow right through it, and when you mow the straw will mulch and eventually decompose. And it helps keep the weeds down until the grass fills in.

Think how mother nature makes a lawn--the seeds drop and never get buried or fertilized. ....

Putting Down New Seed

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-12          152093

Somebody rang? LOL

Bob, as Frank mentioned, the nurseryman is right, the seed only needs to make contact with damp soil. Even EW was right on this one, Mother Nature just plunks them down.

Kenneth did you hear that? EW was right! ;)

Seriously, just sow the seeds and follow the directions as to water, etc., and let them do their thing, the rye grass residue will help the most left just where it is on top.

If you can get a cultipacker or even just a plain roller, have a gentle run over the whole area after it's seeded to make sure you have good contact.

Best of luck. ....

Putting Down New Seed

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-03-12          152097

Murf, did. Believe that is now 3 times EW was correct. :)
Before long he will deal with the circles. kt ....

Putting Down New Seed

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-12          152100

He's a technical kinda' guy.....

Maybe they were 'orbits'....... LOL ....

Putting Down New Seed

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-03-12          152101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 152100
He's a technical kinda' guy.....Maybe they were 'orbits'....... LOL

Your insight comes through again. Yep orbits.

Now people or objects out in space are in "orbits" correct? kt ....

Putting Down New Seed

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-03-12          152106

Kenny, don't they teach science down thar? Orbits occur around celestial bodies (that means "outer space"). Electrons have orbits, and so do your eyeballs. ....

Putting Down New Seed

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-03-13          152132

EW, so does that mean it is not orbits? For a while I was impressed. kt ....

Putting Down New Seed

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-03-13          152135

Kenny, no you can still be impressed. (Geeeze it don't take much duz it?).

For my NEXT act I will... ....

Putting Down New Seed

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-14          152143

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 152135
For my NEXT act I will...

Make spring appear?

Please................... LOL ....

Putting Down New Seed

View my Photos
DRankin

2008-03-14          152149

.......Spring was never waiting for us (Murf), it ran one step ahead as we followed in the dance........

Paraphrased from the longest song I ever heard on the radio...........

Speaking of that...... I think I left my tractor out in the rain last night......

Putting Down New Seed

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-03-14          152152

Murf, give me 5 days, 'k? Then S-H-A-Z-A-M-! You're wish will be granted!

Since I'm in the mood...anything else? ....

Putting Down New Seed

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-14          152156

Well, if you're offering Jeff........

You know the turf biz pretty good, wanna come over here and cover for me for a few weeks while I make a run to Florida & the Bahamas with the little lady?

Just don't put your muddy boots up on my desk is all. ;) ....

Putting Down New Seed

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-03-14          152159

Well I was going to ask you if you need work assistance state-side (Michigan in particular), buuuut...if the "little lady" has a younger, single, sister---blonde to dishwasher blonde hair, 5'-3" to 5'6", 100-120 lb., blue or brown eyes---but I'm not picky---hahahaha---we'll go together! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login