Go Bottom Go Bottom

I shouldn t have but I did and now work to be done

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-21          106546

I have a walk out basement. I've been working on a storage shelf system for over 2 weeks now. I won't go into my frustration with the suposedly kiln-dried lumber that was soaking wet. That's one for the rant section. Anyway, hauling the lumber to the basement is most easily done by loading it in the truck and driving it down to the walk-out entrance. I had 10 4x4 posts, 16 1x6 x 8 ft boards, and a bunch of smaller pieces.

So I loaded up the truck and headed off. Bad move. I had stepped on the lawn to try to gauge how frozen it was. It seems ok, but is hard to tell. Anyway, I made it about 50 feet before I realized how screwed I was. I backed up while sliding down my hill to get to my driveway. Now I've got these massive ruts in my lawn that are about 6" to 10" deep.

So once we get out this ridiculous "Winter" weather and either freeze or permanently thaw, how do I go about fixing my damage?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DK35vince
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-02-21          106552

For ruts like that I just run the tiller over them, smooths the biggest part of them right out.
You may need to touch them up a little with a rake and throw some seed. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-21          106554

You might have to look at those ugly marks till the ground dries up some in the late spring/early summer.

If you try to get on the ground too early you will likely tear it up more than you will fix it.

The rototiller is one suggestion, but IMHO, churning up the ground further is just asking for trouble. You will mix topsoil and subsoil, end up with little or no compaction and so ongoing settling, unfortunately I must say hand tools are likely your best bet.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-02-21          106556

So if you had a bad day and did a foolish thing, let me tell you about my weekend. Sunday morning I was going home from my local Lowes and was on the edge of the city doing about 30 mph and from nowhere about 2 dozen deer came running from behind me and passed in front of me. I had slowed to about 15 mph when a deer hit my left rear fender on my F250. There's shoulder prints, 3 hoof prints and a nose print all on that side. So much for my cherry F250.

This morning I was plowing snow at one of my rentals. I cleared right up to the house to make it easy for contractors that are doing some quick fix-up before my new tennants move in. Anyway, got to close while turning and the rear blade caught the corner of the house. Vinyl siding was exploding and pieces of wood striping flew. Later while admiring my handy work, I was pushing snow under the close line connected from the house to the garage. It is some nice 5/16 diameter rope close line. Before I knew it, the loader caught it, and it was stretched about 5 foot when it blew. Yanked the hook right out of the house and busted some more siding.

I'd like to start my weekend over. ....

View my Photos
jwngej

2005-02-21          106557

Not be-en a good yooper time fer ya. Dang, but we all have bad days, just don't need so many so close.. Hope things get better for ya Yooperpete. I just was plowing snow this morn and put a not-so-nice dent in my new last year garage door.. JohnJ ....

View my Photos
Billy

2005-02-21          106558

If it were me I'd take a garden rake and pull, what dirt I could, back into the ruts. Then I'd wait till it dried some and finish filling the ruts with top soil. Fill the ruts and walk it down and fill it again. The last fill should be left loose, sowed with grass seed and(if on a hill side) covered with straw/hay. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-02-21          106559

Iowafun:
I usually try to wait til the ground is semi-hard and drive over the ruts with my wide turf tractor tires. This pushes the high spots down and evens it some. When it has dried, I then go to the garden and get some dirt and fill it in by hand and rake in some grass seed. Before you know it, it will be up and you won't notice the tracks at all. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-02-21          106567

Yeah, it was the topper to a long weekend of hard work and problems. The storage shelves are a mortise and tenon deisgn. But the wood is so wet (and has been for 2 weeks) the mortiser would just gum up and smoke. I'm already delayed 2 weeks so I used a 1" forstner bit and then used a hand chisel to clean up and square up every mortise in each vertical beam. Took about 30+ minutes per beam. I've got 10 done so far.

So you can imagine how much fun I had hauling all that wood down the steps thinking about all that extra work in late March/April to fix the ruts. I've got some left over top soil that I can use for filler. I may just wait as I will probably order more top soil this spring to fix other parts of the yard. That way the dump truck and my tractor can mess up that section of the yard and I won't care. I can fix it last.

Yooper, you were have fun trying out new vocabulary it sounds like. Earlier this fall, I let my brother drive my new 4310 with less than 15 hours on it. He wasn't watching and hit the side trim on the shop door with the loader bucket. Door closes a bit tight now. He put the first scratch in my new tractor and the first major dent in my shop. I guess it's payback for "remodeling" his nose when we were kids. ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-02-21          106571

Misery loves company. Not that I'm wishing any bad stuff on anyone, but I've done similar and I guess it's good to know you're not alone. Good luck all, this too will pass. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-02-22          106599

Got my estimate this morning for the F250 --$1,509.65. The deer got me but I didn't get him. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-02-22          106611

Ouch!! I saw over 20 deer on the way to work this morning. People around here are always saying how glad they are the snow is gone. I correct them in a hurry!! With snow, I can see the deer much better.

Such a suicidal tendancy in an animal... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login