Go Bottom Go Bottom

Compact Tractor Lights on ROPS

View my Photos
survriggs
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-20          98814

I take delivery of a new B7800 w/FEL in a couple of days. My question: I would like to add work lights to the ROPS but am electronically challenged. Any help with type, switches, wiring instruction, etc. would be helpful. I looked at several posts but am unsure about what the relay is for and where to hook the hot wire to. thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-20          98817

I added lights to me 7800 ROPS. ( see pics. 1 and 3 ). The wiring for the rear lights is already harnessed on the machine. Look behind the seat at the rear wiring harness and you will notice a tail with a plug. Plug into that tail, add a ground, and you are good to go. As you can see from the picture, I have added some 2910 body panels to my 7800 so the harness is now tucked under the rear body panel. I also used the 2910 light mounting hole for my switch.

With the folding ROPS, I didn't need to modify the ROPS at all for the light brackets. I was able to use holes already in the ROPS at the folding hinge.

Hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
taheide

2004-10-20          98837

If you want your lights as high as possible, you can do it without doing any drilling to the ROPS. You would need some large hose clamps, thick rubber electrical tape, spacers and I used rectangular tractor lights from Farm and Fleet. Wrap the tape around the topr of the ROPS where you want the light to go to protect the finish and to provide some vibration resistance for the light, then put the clamp around the ROPS where the tape is, place the spacer under the light bracket, and tighten the clamp as much as you can. Hook up the electrical leads if you find the plug as Beagle mention( I didnt know that is what that is for) or if you dont have one, or find it, you can tap into the hot wire for the lights ant the lamp itself with a waterproof scotchlok, run a wire from that to the solonoid contact of a relay, the other side goed to ground, then find a spare hot from the fuse block and run that to the relay, and from the relay to the lights. You can get whats called a fog light installaion kit with everything you need as far as the electrical, but throw away the switch, you wont need it. I have three lights on my tractor, two forward ones, one is a flood the other a wide angle, and a wide angle facing the rear for my attachments and for plowing snow.

I need to repair one of the lamps, the clamp came loose and I lost the spacer, so like I said, make sure the clamps are TIGHT. ....

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-20          98841

I drilled and tapped my ROPS. Some don't like this, some think it's okay. Your choice. I put the link up again so you could see how I did the wiring.

I chose to put a relay on the lead under the seat rather than use a full amp hot switch. The lead on my BX2230 was ignition-hot, so I spliced into the tail light lead for the switch signal on the relay. My work lights go on with the headlights(tail lights).

My lights are only 35watt rubber cased tractor lights. This was PLENTY for what I am doing (snowblowing mostly). Any more, 55watt hallogen "fog" lights for example, will probably tax the small OEM charging system too much. ....

Link:   BX2230 Work Lights

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-20          98851

Has anyone tried attaching lights to the ROPS with Adhesives or magnetically? ....

View my Photos
2kubotas

2004-10-21          98895

Magnets work great. Bought a parts retriever - a stick with a 3" diameter magnet on the end - took the magnet off and built it into a mount. I need two hands to remove it. No holes, no marks, $8.00. ....

View my Photos
survriggs

2004-10-21          98901

Thanks all for the info, believe I can swing it. Now I'm wondering if modifying the wiring, etc. will affect the warranty. I'll ask the dealer. ....

View my Photos
rabbittrun

2004-10-23          99103

For my lights, I am using battery operated 1 million candlepower hand held light ($10) placed on a bracked I made from a square plastic container and ty-wraped to the
ROPS. Haven't had any problems with that contaption and it doesen't look bad. ....

View my Photos
Kendews

2004-10-24          99170

I suggest that you mount your lights on the inside of the ROPS so they won't get knocked off. I easily mounted mine using a couple of U clamps. (see Pix) I also made them tilt and swivel so that I can have light in front and behind me if I want. I put mine on before I added the sunshade or else I could have used the mounting clamps for the shade to hold the lights. Make sure all of your wiring connections are super secure or else the lurching and vibrations will buzz them apart. ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-11-03          99771

Look at my pic of ROP light bar. I can make one up for you for $275 plus shipping. Currently Light bar 14, trees 0 Mine mounts with out any drilling or welding to the ROPs. It clamps on. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-11-03          99772

riggs, as I said in my previous post, for the 7800 you don't have to modify your wiring. The rear work light plug is part of the stock harness. All you have to do is plug in and add a ground. Shouldn't effect your warranty at all. Nothing wrong with checking with your dealer just to make sure. ....

View my Photos
survriggs

2004-11-15          100359

thanks all for the posts. This is a great forum and I've learned a lot from the posts and the pics. I talked to the dealer (when they picked it up to unstick the float detent spring on FEL) he said no problem with add'l lights. I am going with the magnetic type. ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-11-16          100390

The magnetic type has several advantages... For one, it can be taken on and off easily if you install a quick disconnect electrical connection. Secondly, it will "break away" if you run into something inadvertently. Third, it can be repositioned/re-aimed more easily than a fixed mount light. However, a fixed mount system will probably hold its aim better. ....

View my Photos
David-Hendo

2011-11-24          181356

I know this is an old post but looking for ideas for a light bar to fit inside the ROPS (to protect from tree banshees)and I don't see a picture on this post. Any ideas would be great. ....

View my Photos
earthwks

2011-11-24          181357

What's a "tree banshees"? Are those little indians that sit in trees ready to whack your ROPS? ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-11-24          181360

Get modern lights with LED bulbs that draw little current, and you won't have to worry about relays and separate circuits. Make sure the power wire is fused. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-11-28          181398

We've never had any luck with lights on the ROPS anywhere, invariably they lead a short life. Branches never hit square on, they still get hit, even inside the ROPS.

If you're determined however, I'd suggest a thin bar mounted to the ROPS with those screw type hose clamps and some rubber between the bar and the ROPS.

Never cut, drill or weld into or on the ROPS.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-12-02          181457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 181398
We've never had any luck with lights on the ROPS anywhere, invariably they lead a short life. Branches never hit square on, they still get hit, even inside the ROPS......

I have had my lights on the ROPS since 2004, and when they were first installed I had them clamped on the outside ... and yes even though I only have branches on the perimeter of my property, they got snagged, bent or broken just as Murf said...

So now I have them mounted on the inside of the ROPS, one forward one rearward. They are a must have for me.. the loader and blower make the regular lights useless... It is a simple install and the aim stays right and never moves... I think the magnet ones might move with vibration .. particularly on a folding ROPS...

<br>
<br>
I have had my lights on the ROPS since 2004, and when they were first installed I had them clamped on the outside ... and yes even though I only have branches on the perimeter of my property, they got snagged, bent or broken just as Murf said...<br>
<br>
So now I have them mounted on the inside of the ROPS, one forward one rearward.  They are a must have for me.. the loader and blower make the regular lights useless... It is a simple install and the aim stays right and never moves... I think the magnet ones might move with vibration .. particularly on a folding ROPS...<br>
<br>
<a href=<br>
<br>
I have had my lights on the ROPS since 2004, and when they were first installed I had them clamped on the outside ... and yes even though I only have branches on the perimeter of my property, they got snagged, bent or broken just as Murf said...<br>
<br>
So now I have them mounted on the inside of the ROPS, one forward one rearward.  They are a must have for me.. the loader and blower make the regular lights useless... It is a simple install and the aim stays right and never moves... I think the magnet ones might move with vibration .. particularly on a folding ROPS...<br>
<br>
<a href=<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
[p]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KEOZA2C41FU/TtjKJac50qI/AAAAAAAAAK4/fnRqiVozNmE/s720/2011-12-01_15-48-31_259.jpg[/p]<br>
<br>
<br>
You can see that the mount is nothing fancy just a "U" that fits over the ROPS bar and an "L" bracket with self locking nuts.  You can see the twists in it from prevous snags when mounted on the outside.<br>
<br>
[p]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rA-8XF0pUNk/TtjKTqoTw4I/AAAAAAAAALI/WiehM6PtJPg/s800/2011-12-01_15-49-25_439.jpg[/p]

You can see that the mount is nothing fancy just a "U" that fits over the ROPS bar and an "L" bracket with self locking nuts. You can see the twists in it from prevous snags when mounted on the outside.

[p]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rA-8XF0pUNk/TtjKTqoTw4I/AAAAAAAAALI/WiehM6PtJPg/s800/2011-12-01_15-49-25_439.jpg[/p]" src="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KEOZA2C41FU/TtjKJac50qI/AAAAAAAAAK4/fnRqiVozNmE/s720/2011-12-01_15-48-31_259.jpg" >

You can see that the mount is nothing fancy just a "U" that fits over the ROPS bar and an "L" bracket with self locking nuts. You can see the twists in it from prevous snags when mounted on the outside.

[p]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rA-8XF0pUNk/TtjKTqoTw4I/AAAAAAAAALI/WiehM6PtJPg/s800/2011-12-01_15-49-25_439.jpg[/p]" src="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KEOZA2C41FU/TtjKJac50qI/AAAAAAAAAK4/fnRqiVozNmE/s720/2011-12-01_15-48-31_259.jpg" >

[p]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rA-8XF0pUNk/TtjKTqoTw4I/AAAAAAAAALI/WiehM6PtJPg/s800/2011-12-01_15-49-25_439.jpg[/p] ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login