Go Bottom Go Bottom

5 Rankin rear blade on 15 HP Kubota too much

View my Photos
AKFord
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-31          95079

I am debating on getting a 5' Rankin rear blade but am wondering if it is too much weight for a 15 horse tractor, the BX 1500. The blade weighs 255 lb which seems like an awful lot, I plan to use it mostly for clearing snow and I wanted to get the 5' instead of a lighter weight 4' so I have more coverage when the blade is angled. If anyone thinks the Rankin blades are decent products and/or think that size blade is too heavy for my tractor please let me know. Thanks for your time, it is appreciated!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-31          95081

What size of blade will a machine handle is not the question. It should be more properly stated as 'what amount of LOAD will it handle'?

A 5' blade will be two entirely different animals if you are talking about spreading gravel or plowing snow.

IMHO, I would say that machine will handle a 5' blade in light snow, wet heavy stuff might be a challenge.

The weight of the blade itself should not be a problem, if you don't have an FEL on the tractor I'm sure you will want some front counter-weights though.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-31          95117

I think you should check the moldboard height on the blade before you spend the $'s. With the BX hitch, you may have trouble lifting the blade high enough to move around safely. Many rear blades have a 17" moldboard, add about 1-1/2" to the moldboard height and you are roughly at the height of the lift pins. Make sure you 3pt will accomodate the height. Good Luck ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-31          95120

Beagle makes the good point, however a hydraulic toplink in place of the regular upper link will allow it to pivot on the 2 lift pins giving more than enough clearance for almost any situation.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-31          95138

Murf, I doubt you could rig up a hydraulic top link on a BX1500...........but more to the point: I had a 60 inch Rankin rear blade when I had my BX22.

It was a bad match. That blade is a Cat 1-2 size. I had to reverse the pins and there was just barely enough lift height to get it off the ground even with my 2 inch shorter than stock top link. The 1500 is even closer to the ground with it's smaller tires.

I would strongly recommend you get something that is a true cat 1 size and no larger. The 60 inch width isn't the problem, it's the stature of the implement. ....

View my Photos
AKFord

2004-09-01          95217

DRankin,

I don't know what you mean when you say a category 1-2, what is that? What model Rankin did you have? All the Rankin's I'm looking at on the website say they are all cat 1. Also, please excuse my ignorance here, but is the blade itself the "moldboard?" According to Rankin's website, the moldboard is 14" high, does that sound acceptable? In looking at other manufacturer's rear blades, I am surprised at how heavy the Rankin blades are, maybe the website has some misprints in it ut 260 lb for a 5' blade is quite heavy bases on comparisons. ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-09-01          95221

I have a 5' King Kutter for my BX1500. The weight and 3-point connection is NOT a problem. It will move loose gravel, snow, and dirt just fine. If I did it again, I would have purchased the "XB" rear blade w/ a 10" moldboard instead of the standard 14". Check out the Series 100 implements from Rankin made specifically for sub-CUTS. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-09-01          95228

Pretty good comments about height and lower link arm width on BX hitches. I think that if a blade's lower link mount height requires the link arms to be above horizontal for mounting then it would move the blade closer to the tractor. BX arms are pretty short and that might limit the angling possible since the blade may run into the tires. A blade that's just as wide as the tire tracks can't be angled and still cover the tracks. Inexpensive blades tend to be light, and light ones don't cut hard ground very well. ....

View my Photos
kevinj54

2004-09-01          95237

My dealer sold me a full size cat 1 Landpride with my BX and it was to much, I traded it back for the Landpride 5' for Sub CUT and it works fine. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-01          95250

Some implements split the difference between sizes. That's where you get sizes like 0-1 and 1-2.

The blade I had (RBT 50) was every bit as heavy as they said and had 28 inches between the pins. You had to spread the arms even wider to get it attached.

Yes moldboard height and blade depth are the same.

If you look at the picture of this implement, above the 14 inch blade is another 10 inches of structure to the top of the 4x4 main beam which is where the pins are situated.

So the pins are something like 24-25 inches off the deck and your tractor has 24 inch diameter rear wheels. Maybe that will give the right perspective.

I second the notion that you should stick with the Series 100 tools or similar size.

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-01          95253

Murf, I stand corrected.... sort of....

Rankin has a top and tilt kit for the BX1800 and 2200. It might fit on the BX1500. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login