Go Bottom Go Bottom

B7510 feels tippy

View my Photos
vrenuguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-21          94078

My B7510 has a FEL, and I never operate without some tool on the rear, but still it feels awfully tippy. I have the wheels loaded with water/calcium, and set to match the 48" width of the FEL.
Anybody else feeling a little tippy? Any suggestions? My property is fairly hilly, and I would rather not spend a lot of time winching my baby upright every time I go out to do a job. Since my property is also very brushy, with loads of trees, I do need it to be fairly narrow, to fit between the trees.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

B7510 feels tippy

View my Photos
TomG

2004-08-22          94085

You might say what kind of work is done and whether the tippyness is going across or up and down hills. Best guide is: If it feels unsafe then it probably is. For very challenging property a lower CG tractor may be needed. Avoiding going across hills helps as well as setting the rear wheels wider. Adding front weight or backing up hills if a big rotary cutter is mounted helps ....

B7510 feels tippy

View my Photos
grassgod
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-22          94091

vrenuguy - I used to have a simular tractor, the Jd 790. I found that having my rear tires foam filled made a huge difference. I started out like you with calcium. After a few flat tires & a major wet rusty mess from the calcium, I decided to try something different. With the foam filled, You can never get a flat ever again. I also believe that when that calcium is bouncing around inside that tire, it is working against you. I also recommend adding bolt on wheel wieghts. If you do these to things you will be amazed at the difference in center of gravity. My old machine felt very solid on steep grades no matter what position I was in. ....

B7510 feels tippy

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-22          94136

Wheel weights would be a good addition as grassgod stated and probably end the tipsy problem. If that doesn't then you had better try to widen the wheels out on the axle a bit to gain stability. Some hills were just not meant to be mowed! ....

B7510 feels tippy

View my Photos
rabbittrun

2004-09-17          96727

I really like your safety response...ie.."if it feels unsafe..

Ok if I use it in my next week's safety meeting at my plant?

B7510 feels tippy

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-09-17          96737

Is this your first tractor with a FEL? On my old 7200 without a FEL, that thing just would hug the ground and felt great on hills. When I moved up to the 7800 with the FEL, it felt a little tippy at first, but after getting used to it, it doesn't feel nearly as bad. When I take the FEL off to mow, it will come close to the old 7200 on hills, but not quite probably due to the increased ground clearance. You may want to invest in a tilt meter as well, but don't fully depend on that as a hole or rock on a hill can change things in a hurry. Take your time and be safe. Like Tom said, when in doubt don't do it. ....

B7510 feels tippy

View my Photos
denwood

2004-09-17          96744

Feeling tippy and being unstable can be two different things. The higher your body is positioned on a machine, the tippier it "feels". The farther your head is from the ground, the more distance it will travel as you tractor rolls over bumps in the ground. That movement of your head will give the feeling of tippy even if the tractor is stable. Wheel weights, keeping the loader low, or off if possible, will lower center of gravity. park it on a hill that feels tippy and get off. Yank on the roll bar to see if it is near its balance point. You may find that it is still fairly stable. ....

B7510 feels tippy

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-09-20          96853

I know about filling tires with calcium or antifreeze, but I don't know anyone with foam filled tires. Does it add weight? Does the foam break down over time? Where would one go to have tires filled? Cost?

B7510 feels tippy

View my Photos
TomG

2004-09-20          96855

I think that most foam has weight comparable to alternative fills. Foam traditionally meant rough rides and maybe reduced traction (if the tread can't conform to the surface). I believe newer products are much improved. It's still expensive and complicates changing tires.

Probably why you don't hear more about foam is that most people who use it do so because they have serious puncture problems--operating a tractor with turf tires around thorn trees for example. ....

B7510 feels tippy

View my Photos
Art White

2004-09-20          96857

Foam is more costly and is used in areas that are noted for many punctures. It doesn't weigh up like the calcium or even rim-guard. It does give rougher rides as Tom suggested and there is a loss of traction do to the rigidity of the tire on rough ground. ....

B7510 feels tippy

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-09-20          96920

My old deere 790 rear tires were foam filled. I paid $200 per tire. It felt more solid on slops then when I had the calcium in them. I didnt mind the ride. It was definetly less boucey but haelped drastically on the slopes. I am aiming to foam fill my new kubota rear asap, I just need to find the time to lay the tractor up for a day. Any truck tire garage that deals with large trucks or machinery can foam them. Your dealer should be able to recommend someone in your area. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login