Go Bottom Go Bottom

Auger for bx23

View my Photos
jamesrm1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-15          93555

Does anyone have any experience using an auger for their bx23. My local rental guy says it doesn't work too well because there is no downward force from the 3pnt hitch.
He says the full size tractors mount the auger to the FEL mount. Is this true?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Auger for bx23

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-15          93561

jamesrm, I'm not totally familiar with the size of a BX 23, perhaps the rental person thinks it's not a heavy enough three point? I've never owned an auger, but have rented 3 pt. ones a couple times to use on a full size tractor. I really don't understand the persons concern that your tractor have downforce on the 3 pt.,unless you have some real unusual soil conditions the biggest concern I've experienced is letting the auger go too deep before lifting it out of the hole to clear the soil from the auger. Far as FEL mounted augers, I've really never seen one loacaly, I do think they would be neat so far as being able to look forward while positioning the auger, etc., but I'm sure that with it needing to be driven by hydraulics, the brackets, etc. to mount it on the FEL it would be pricey. Please remember a post hole auger is probably one of the most dangerous attachments to be around, never lift it out of the hole running full speed. If for some reason it needs to come out of the hole running to clear the soil run it real slow. Enjoy your day. Frank. ....

Auger for bx23

View my Photos
grassgod
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-15          93569

The fel mounted augers are made by the skid steer manufacturers & can be used on a quick disconnect set up which most newer tractors have now adays. A quick disconnect fel bucket is skidsteer compatible & as long as you have the hydraulic valves installed which are an optional, extra item, then you can operate any skid steer attachment on an fel. I would think a bx23 might be slightly to small to run a post hole digger / auger. I would think that if you did get it to dig a hole, It wouldnt have the power to lift the auger out or the tractor would wheelie. ....

Auger for bx23

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-15          93573

I used a full sized Cat 1 with my BX and it worked fine.... or would have if I had had more suitable soils. They now make augers especially for that class of tractor.

The BX with an auger is no more or less capable than any other 22 horse/1400 pound tractor. So if someone tells you that a B2410 or a Deere 4100 will run an auger but your BX won't they are pulling your leg.

As far as three point down force, I haven't seen a compact tractor yet with down force. I understand that such things can be had as kits, but 99 percent of the folks using post hole augers out there don't have it. ....

Auger for bx23

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-08-15          93589

jamesrm1

I have found green mfg as a real good source ...www.green-mfg.com

I took DRankins advice on the JD4100-4110 clearance issues with the seat bracket to heart. I found Green Mfg from good feedback from a few sites...I use a 12" auger on a 20 HP/17 PTO machine and have zero problems. Soil conditions are key with success. I have no doubt a BX has the power for a 12" , you might have to ask on which model digging depth wise (auger length) if you can handle a 42" in length unit.
EM5000 is a 42" unit, the JR4000 is the same but smaller length auger (32")and will absolutely fit your machine ...You will find Green mfg private labeling for a few different suppliers as well, you can buy direct from them as well. There prices just recently went up because of the steel spikes.

Duc

Auger for bx23

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-15          93608

You will be limited to a 32" auger length because of the length of your lift arms, and you maybe can handle a 12" auger, but a 9" will be comfortable. I just finished drilling 156 holes with a 3-point auger. No down presssure is necessary. The auger does the work.

Spil type is the key to success with a 3-point mounted auger. If you have sandy/gravely sand soil, it will worl best. Some clays can be tough to dig through with a 3-point mounted auger. A hydraulic auger mounted on the FEL would work better. Many manyfacturers make augers that will fit your 3-point. Worksaver/Farmstar is one of them. I believe they run about $550 from Farmstar. ....

Auger for bx23

View my Photos
Art White

2004-08-16          93633

All sub-compacts use a catigory O-1 hitch and it is important to use a small frame unit to get easy use. To use to large of a frame and it will hinder the work capable as well as where you can use it. Sharp teeth on the auger will keep you digging. We find that most complaints come from dull points on the auger. They do build different types depending on your conditions. For us here, I like to use the stone blacktop teeth which does cost more but if it won't get through chances are neither will much else. I do like the loader boom as it does give you down pressure but it is hydraulic drive which means you can reverse it if stuck but the costs go up! ....

Auger for bx23

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-08-16          93668

Art - do you sell the front hydraulic augers with skid steer mount? What do the cost approx? I would want one with the stone blacktop teeth. I didnt realize you could reverse them. ....

Auger for bx23

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-16          93681

grasgod, take a look at the Worksaver site, they have several options for hydraulic post hole augers and drivers, that are both 3-point and FEL mounted. Some are compatable with standard quick attach systems, or mount to the FEL bucket.

The Worksaver model 300 fits cat 0/1 subcompacts, has 30" augers in 6", 9", and 12". There is a Downforce kit available for their 3-point augers, but you will need rear hydraulic remotes for this. You probably don't need a Downforce kit unless you have some very hard clay. In that case, the torque on the 3-point will begin to be the limiting issue. The 714H is a fully reversable hydraulic auger that bolts to the loader bucket. It requires 5-10gpm to run the motor, which is in the range of compacts.

No, I don't have stock in Worksaver, just picked up a lot of information on their products when I was shopping for my auger. They have some nice stuff. ....

Auger for bx23

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-08-20          93903

Thanks for the info Beagle. Can you give me there web address? ....

Auger for bx23

View my Photos
Art White

2004-08-20          93908

What size tractor do you want to put it on? Worksaver does build some decent equipment for non-commercial work. We do sell it from time to time when it meets the job specifications. ....

Auger for bx23

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-20          93915

The web address is the same as the name. I believe you can get there through Farmstar also ....

Link:   

Click Here

Auger for bx23

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-08-21          94001

Art - I have an L3130. Beagle - Thanks for the link. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login