Go Bottom Go Bottom

50 Hour Service Help

View my Photos
dmnsmith2
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-09          93076

I've been looking for some specific info on this board but haven't found everything I am looking for.

My 50 hour service is coming up and I need some help on my B7800 4WD.

Are there 2 drain plugs for the engine oil?
Is the engine oil filter different size, shape, color, etc than the tranny filters (I don't want to confuse them)?
Are there 4 drain plugs for the tranny fluid (1 for front tranny case and 3 for rear tranny case)?
Are there 2 filters for the tranny?
It seems there is only one place to check the tranny fluid, so why do they discuss front and rear transmission in the manual as if they are 2 different areas?

Also, what price should I expect to pay for the engine oil,engine oil filter, tranny fluid (super udt), and tranny filters?

This is the first tractor I have worked on so I am a newbie to this area. Any precautions or tricks of the trade I need to know while performing these operations? I have a loader and MMM on the tractor. Will these be in the way of this service? Thanks for all input and help. Much appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

50 Hour Service Help

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-09          93080

OK let's take thses one at a time,

Yes, there are two drain plugs for the engine oil. The tractor has a saddle pan, so you need to pull both plugs. Let the oil get a little warm before ytou drain it, not hot.

The engine oil filter will not spin on the hydro or the hydraulic stem, and visa-versa. Have the dealer label the boxes from the part nos. to avoid any confusion.

There are 4 plugs for the trans/hydro fluid. One at the front trans case, one at the mid pto, and two at the rear gear case, ( either side ). The Trans oil filter is slightly smaller than the hydraulic filter, in fact the trans filter will probably be light blue.

Don't forget to clean the transmission strainer. You will need 18mm wrench and a good torque to loosen the stem. Be carefull with the strainer, it is pretty delicate.

Check the trans fluid level often when re-filling. It probably won't take the entire 3.83 quarts to fill it.

My 50 hr kit cost $104, including tax, with Super UDT.

I think I covered everything. Have fun, should take you about 45 minutes. ....

50 Hour Service Help

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-09          93082

Sorry, the loader can stay on the tractor, although it is easier to get at the oil filter without it. The MMM will be in the way and should be removed.

If you leave the loader on, make sure you completely retract all the cylinders. Put as much fluid back in the tractor as you can. Same thing goes for the 3-point. ....

50 Hour Service Help

View my Photos
mikey1665

2004-08-09          93088

Beagle, What good would it do to retract the cylinders, it takes fluid to move them either way doesn't it? Thanks in advance mikey ....

50 Hour Service Help

View my Photos
domogala

2004-08-10          93100

With a hydraulic piston retracted into its cylinder, the physical piston is inside the cylinder, displacing some of the area that would normally be filled by oil.

50 Hour Service Help

View my Photos
dmnsmith2

2004-08-10          93102

Thanks for your input and time beagle. That helps me out a lot.

Take care! ....

50 Hour Service Help

View my Photos
bobodude

2004-08-10          93151

Retracting the piston does not change the amount of fluid in the cylinder. There is fluid on both sides of the piston. As it extends or retracts, the volume changes on each side but still the total amount remians the same. Go to www.tractorsmart.com ...tech info...Kubota service tips....Front loader troubleshooting. At the bottom of the page it has a animated diagram of how a hydrolic cylinder works. That will clarify my point. Cheers ....

50 Hour Service Help

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-10          93154

The volume of the fluid in the cylinder is reduced by the volume of the rod that is in the cylinder body. The annimation on the link you suggested expains this. The effective area of a hydraulic cylinder is not the same for push and pull, due to the area of the rod. The area of the rod times it's length is the volume of fluid displaced as the rod enters the cylinder. Hydraulic cylinders, except specialized application cylinders, have higher push capacities than pull due to the rod area. ....

50 Hour Service Help

View my Photos
mikey1665

2004-08-10          93156

Beagle,,,now I understand since the last post. The rad makes the difference and I understand. Thanks a bunch mike ....

50 Hour Service Help

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-10          93158

That's why it is also best to store any hydraulic cylinders in the retracted position to keep the rods out of the environment and in the oil bath.

Glad I could help. Good luck ....

50 Hour Service Help

View my Photos
Art White

2004-08-10          93161

When doing your service it is a good time to look at the different pieces that make up a tractor. Look at the wiring noting where it goes and see if anything might be pinching it or a hose or line rubbing against steel. Look at the linkages and see if any stop nuts look loose. Look for any small leaks,weaps or what ever you choose to call it as it would be good to check later to see if it is getting any worse later. Don't be afraid to hit it with a grease gun at this time or to maybe throw a little penetrating oil on a part that might have been sticking on you. ....

50 Hour Service Help

View my Photos
dmnsmith2

2004-08-11          93242

Sorry for the confusion, but I picked up somewhere that there are 2 filters for the tranny/hydro. I called two dealers and they stated there is only one. Is this the case.

Also, one out of the 2 I called stated do not change tranny/hydro fluid until 150 hours. Manual says 50. What to do? Thanks for all input! ....

50 Hour Service Help

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-11          93243

Follow the manual. I don't know why dealers recommend these shortcuts, but I think it says a lot about the dealer when they do (none of it good). ....

50 Hour Service Help

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-11          93248

Your Warranty will be in trouble if you don't follow the maintenance schedule in the manual. Keep you reciepts and any records you can. ....

50 Hour Service Help

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2004-08-11          93249

Just an add-on to Beagle's comment about storing hydraulic cylinders. Any hydraulic implement should be stored in the "resting" position. Often this also happens to be in the "retracted" position. Hydraulic implements can move through let down after the engine is turned off. Any large moving object (even if moving slowly) can cause damage or injury if it moves in storage. Retainer pins/bolts should be reinserted once parked etc. I recall the story of a farm dog sleeping in a wooden box infront of which the FEL from a parked tractor slowly (and silently) dropped. Once resting the FEL just blocked the exit and the dog was trapped - dying in the heat of the barn in days following. Point is they dont have to be dramatic to be deadly. Had the FEL been lowered to "resting" the dog could not have entered the box. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login