Go Bottom Go Bottom

Dead Machine - electrical - IDEAS

View my Photos
martyspaulding
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-19          91385

I have a L305DT that is just flat ass dead. It ran fine, then I parked it, now it's dead as a popcorn fart.

The battery appears to be okay, but when I switch on the key I get no electrical at *all* ... no lights, clicks or anything.

I can measure 12v from the battery to the starter, but when the ignition key is put into the first (glow plug) or any of the plug+lights positions the 12v disappears.

That tells me that I have a short/ground/drain. I don't even get indicator lights on the dash panel.

We tried jumping the starter and zippo ... not even a click.

Any ideas ? I'm thinking a short in the starter windings, but I'm just guessing. It seems like there's a "bridge out" in the electrical system somewhere, but I'm out of other ideas.

m

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-19          91387

It sounds to me like the battery may have an internal short. When that happens they will measure 12 volts, but apply a load and it drops to zip. If you take the battery down to any auto parts store they should be able to load test it and tell for sure. ....

View my Photos
martyspaulding

2004-07-19          91388

We tried jumping it with a vehicle ... and still not even a dash light .. no flashers or headlights or anything. So I think i've ruled out the supply side of things ... unless the battery short would negate the power from the jumping vehicle also ... ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-19          91389

It wouldn't surprise me that a shorted battery could keep it from starting. I worked in a tire store years ago and have seen them cause some weird problems. It's an easy check to make anyway. ....

View my Photos
martyspaulding

2004-07-19          91390

We'll try that. If it works I'll feel stupid for spending *hours* looking for a loose wire haha. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-07-20          91428

I would check out the battery to make sure it is good as Ken says. If that isn't it, clean the battery post contacts. Next would be to check the ground terminal to the frame. (Also make sure the starter posts are tight). There is a possibility that you have a bad ignition key mechanism. Try by-passing the key. Something definitely has shorted out or is not grounded. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-07-20          91444

This sounds like something that happened to me. A branch pushed through the grill and unplugged the positive lead from the battery clamp. The battery was fine and the main thick wire was still connected but the secondary connector that plugs right into the main battery clamp was slightly disconnected. I had probably used the tractor for an hour this way without noticing anything wrong until I tried to restart it. Everything was dead.

There was only one angle from below that allowed me to see it. From the top of the battery, everything looked fine. Good luck.
David ....

View my Photos
Woodbutcher

2004-07-23          91715

I had the same problem on a B8200HST. I was using a pressure washer to clean off 15 years of gunk. The tractor started and got to the barn after I cleaned it. The next day it was dead. I traced the problem to the fusible link. Take a close look on the starter for a plug with a little loop of wire. If the wire is burned up it won't work. All wire is just a tube full of smoke and when the smoke comes out it doesn't work anymore. ....

View my Photos
martyspaulding

2004-07-23          91717

Well after trying all of the above (and a few chants, salves and swearing in several languages) it's been sent off to the repair shop.
I know I'll feel stupid when they find whatever it is, but pulling the hair out was starting to hurt.

View my Photos
Chief

2004-07-23          91719

Check your grounding strap from the battery to the frame as well as any relays/swtiches in the start circuit. Sounds to me like a bad ground or switch/relay with a bad ground or not functioning. IF you disconnect the battery altogether and it jumps starts; I would suspect a shorted battery as already mentioned. ....

View my Photos
martyspaulding

2004-07-23          91749

THE VERDICT : It ended up being the *positive* battery cable from the battery to the starter .... corrosion enough that it didn't let current pass to even run the lights ... but it let enough thru that my test meter showed 12vdc .... also explains why a jump start didn't help.
Moral of the story : Never assume anything .. except that it's always going to be what you "thought" the problem was NOT.
Thanks for the help guys !!

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login