Go Bottom Go Bottom

DRankin - I need your advise on wheel wieghts

View my Photos
grassgod
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-15          91032

DRankin - I was advised to seek your knowledge & experience with wheel wieghts. I own a Kubota 3130 with R4 tires & would like to add rear wieght with wheel weights but dont have any room to spare on my trailer as far as adding width. Can you possibly post a pic of yours & tell me where I could get some wheel wieghts that wouldnt stick out past the width of the tire?
Thanks, Steve

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-15          91040

Not DR but would help to know the type of tires. Normally at least two sets can be added on the outside and some rims will allow two more on the inside of each tire and still be flush with rim. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-15          91042

When the sun comes back up...... if the smoke is not too bad, I will post some pics for you. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-15          91043

Mark, is your home or property in any danger? ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-16          91062

The tires/ rims are: all traction utility size 420/70 - 24 ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-16          91065

Mark, I was watching the coverage out of CC, I'm hoping it's downwind of you and stays that way.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-16          91081

A couple of nights back when it was threatening the downtown area I was beginning to worry. They can't even begin to predict containment. It goes where it wants and when the wind comes up in the afternoon it has been spreading in four directions at once.

The winds have pushed it away... north and west .... for the moment. It may burn over the ridge today and into the Tahoe basin. If it does go over the ridge on into the sacred "old growth" your may hear the howls without the aid of satellite transmissions.

There has been a battle with the E-Wackos for years about clearing out the dead stuff and the underbrush. Now 7 years of drought on top of 50 years of stupidity may solve the issue. I wonder if you can get an injunction against a wildfire?

View my Photos
Art White

2004-07-16          91084

Try the wild idiots! They have VERY DEEP pockets and need to look at both sides. I think it would be a good wake up call for them. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-16          91093

Mark, you certainly can get an 'injunction against a wildfire', in fact the best ones in the world are made right here in Canada, eh? See the link below.

If you ever get see one of these babies up close and personal they sure are impressive, I got a ride in one at an air show here in Toronto a few years back. It can scoop up 1,600 US gallons of water as it skims along 6' above a body of water at 100+ mph. They can even blend in fire suppressants like foam enroute to the drop zone. That water gets laid down from 100' above the tree tops, the precision is unbelievable. If the conditions are right, water closeby, etc., it can drop 64,000 US gallons in under 4 hours without refuelling.

Let's hope NV Government has asked the Cannuck Government to borrow one this week.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Canadian Portable Rainstorm

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-16          91097

We have six heavy lift Helios with buckets that size working the fire now and two big 4 engine bombers.

The reason we have lost so few houses is those choppers are assigned to douse the flair-ups near any structures.... if they can see through the smoke.

We are having some trouble finding water sources deep enough to completely fill the buckets when dipped. The most available source is a large lake that is only 3-4 feet deep. ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-16          91098

I deal quite a bit with agencies in Nevada and one lady I talked to said the fire was heading straight for her house and they had to leave. When they were allowed to return for an hour to assess damage and pick up anything left, her house was still standing and she said the burn marks were within 10 feet of her house and her propane tank was blackened. Her neighbors were not so lucky. Fire is so unpredictable. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-16          91105

OK......... New PICS!

#5&6.... Carson City fire,

#7&8 Wheel weights. ....

View my Photos
jjfinn

2004-07-16          91144

Thanks for the pics on the fire. These fires can be so fast and unpredictable. Glad that you are not at risk.

The rattlesnake looks to be 3 feet long after adjusting for the curves. Another risk -- whether at work or play.

Tractor question: did you have rear wheel weights for your Kubota? If so, how much width did it add to the rear wheels? ....

View my Photos
husky125

2004-07-16          91147

I don't miss the Nevada fires. We just got rid of our couch we had when we lived in Elko. After five years in Indiana, it still smelled like burned sagebrush. Not a good sign when the air tankers are flying over your house. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-17          91191

Pic #11 shows Kubota wheel weights on my old BX. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-18          91233

Mark - thanks so much for those pics. the one's you have on your deere are the ones that will work for me. Where can I get them?
Glad the fire isn't harming you & your wife. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-19          91295

I recall seeing some nifty wheel weights somebody had made using worn-out truck brake drums that had been filled with concrete. They seemed to be very good looking and I'm sure very effective, probably couldn't have cost much or taken very long to make either.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-19          91299

The Deere has the E-Z Weight mounting system and second-hand weight lifting plates.

A careful shopper can buy weights at garage sales for next to nothing or at the the used sporting goods stores for 25 to 35 cents per pound. ....

View my Photos
paluvsjoshua

2004-07-19          91315

DRankin - Hope all is well and you and yours are no longer in danger from the wildfires. Been following this issue and since I have various grades of incline/declines on my property I have decided to put some added weight on the rear axle for safety and traction. I will be ordering the EZ system also and have already purchased (8) 25# plates from Wal-mart. I thought I would go with 100# on each wheel for now and my JD dealer recommended no more than 120# on each wheel. If needed I will add a fifth 25# on each wheel. I have 16.5" wheels as do you, my question is on the EZ system. Is the threaded rod and hardware stainless or standard steel? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-19          91321

Strange. The Deere weight kit for the 4110/4115 goes up to 180 pounds per wheel.

Anyway, the E-Z parts are standard steel. Your 16.5 inch rims will nicely fit a BFCO 50 pound plate inside the smallest recess of the wheel. The issue with using a stack of 25 pound plates is there is a limited amount of room on the 1 inch rod.

My pictures show 2, 50 pound plates stacked behind 2, 25 pound plates in each wheel. The total stack is 150 pounds in each wheel on E-Z's standard length rod. ....

View my Photos
paluvsjoshua

2004-07-19          91333

The JD recommended wheel weights come in 60# increments and it depends on which dealer you talk with. Some say a stack of 2 or 120# should be sufficent. In any case, JD charges $100 per 60# and $5.00 for mounting hdwr. That is outrageous. I think I will stick with 100# on each wheel at a cost of $100 plus the cost of the EZ system. I'll try that and see how the tractor does. Can always add a 50# plate or two later if needed. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-19          91338

Sounds like a good plan. You will notice a big difference in handling and traction. ....

View my Photos
paluvsjoshua

2004-07-19          91339

I'm mostly concerned with cutting accross a slope or uneven terrain where two slopes intersect. Also when pulling the rottary cutter up a slope. Traction and stability is what I hope to gain. Not concerned so much about damage to the field. Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-20          91407

Mark - what does the threaded rod mount or bolt too? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-20          91435

The threaded bar attach's to a 1/4 inch thick steel plate to which a 1 inch nut has been welded. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-20          91465

I appreciate that link Mark. Very helpful. ....

View my Photos
stevenc

2004-07-20          91520

weights,,NORTH STATE in Greensboro,NC supplys most of the USA for all types of weights and tractor tire chains ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-21          91554

Do you have a wed address for North State? ....

View my Photos
scout180

2004-07-21          91583

A Google search found:
North State Tractor Co
801 E Wendover Ave, Greensboro, NC 27405
(336) 574-4400

No website shown ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-21          91597

thanks! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login