Go Bottom Go Bottom

Easy hitch on B7510

View my Photos
Oliver
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-09          90441

I just installed an easy hitch system from Northern Tools on my 7510. Because of this it seems like my draw bar (or top link, not sure exactly what it's called) is too short. This makes sense as the easy hitch sits about 4" further out. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do I just buy a longer drawbar or did I do something wrong? It seems like I'm about 2"-3" too short. And yes, at least I did think to lengthen the bar as far as I could.

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Easy hitch on B7510

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-09          90443

Adding a longer toplink on your tractor is problematic.

Standard aftermarket links are too thick and will not fit the flanges under your seat.

There are three choices that I can think of:

1) Cut your present toplink and weld a sleeve in the center to lengthen it,

2) Try to grind the after market link down to a smaller width..... something I couldn't quite master with my available tools. I just couldn't keep the ball joint from wobbling while I was grinding.

3) Find another, larger Kubota with a longer top link, get the part number and get ready to plunk $100+ bucks on the counter. ....

Easy hitch on B7510

View my Photos
Oliver

2004-07-09          90446

Was hoping something like this was not the case. The quick hitch works awesome -- but what good is it without the toplink. I'll wrestle with it over the weekend and see if it is helpful for other implements; otherwise, it might have to go back. ....

Easy hitch on B7510

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-09          90452

If you don't need the adjustment of the top link, a piece if 1" x 2-1/2" bar stock can be used as a top link. It doesn't have the ball joints, but for most applications, that won't come into play. Just be carefull that your application doesn't put lateral ooad on the top link socket. If you want the ball joints, they can be bought from TSC and Family Farm and Fleet for a reasonable price and welded on. I believe Northerntool also has weldable ball ends. Another option would be to extend the socket on the quick hitch to meet your stock top link. There's always more options than problems, but remeber that every problem is the result of a solution to a previous problem. have fun. ....

Easy hitch on B7510

View my Photos
bgrover

2004-07-13          90777

When I ordered my easy hitch from Northern it came with an adapter for the top link. The adapter is a heavy metal piece that is "Y" shaped. The U portion fits over the top link and is held with a pin. The | portion fits back into the easy hitch and is also held with a pin. ....

Easy hitch on B7510

View my Photos
vrenuguy

2004-07-22          91651

The easy hitch from Northern appears nice, but heavy, and inflexible.
Did you consider the Sam's Easy Change? It looks like a snap to me, but I am new. Anybody had any experience with it?

Link:   

Click Here

Easy hitch on B7510

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-22          91652

I have never used, or even tried, the type of quick-hitch that goes over the existing lift-arm ends, but a good friend has them.

His big complaint is that the arms rarely line up to the right spot that you could just back up and lift up the arms into the implement pins. If you have to get off the tractor anyway at least half the reason for getting them seems to be moot.

I have used the 'U' shaped style, they seems to work well, however, not all top-links line up properly and if the implement is powered you still have to get off the tractor to hook up the drive shaft.

IMHO, with IF you have a good solid, flat & level place to set implements down there is no real need for, or benefit from, these types of hookups.

Best of luck. ....

Easy hitch on B7510

View my Photos
vrenuguy

2004-07-22          91653

Murf,
That kind of concurs with what I thought, except that fighting that peg into the ball joint gets really old half the time. The new set comes with an optional spacer bar, that looks like it would be pretty slick, since I don't have all the stuff you must have with your job and hobbies, all of my accessories have the pins at the same width, so it should be pretty simple, I hope. An old man, with a tired ol back, I really do not like to do any unnecessary wrestling with a two hundred pound accessory that only wants to stay put, whilst I only want to move it an inch or two. ....

Easy hitch on B7510

View my Photos
JParker

2004-07-22          91668

I bought the "end of the lower link" style Easy Change extensions as well. Love them. That little bar works pretty well, but sometimes is in the way of the PTO.

I think a piece of 2x4 with hooks on the ends or unistrut would work just as well to hold the lower arms apart and could be farther from the impliment to avoid interference.

Yes, I still have to get off sometimes, but getting it all lined up is so much easier this way, and for many impliments you need to hook up the pto anyway.

I have more trouble getting my fat hands between the pto guard and the shaft to lock it in than with the 3pt now.

Easy hitch on B7510

View my Photos
bgrover

2004-07-23          91724

Yes I still have to get off my bx1500 but I was tired of having to loosen the lower arm adjusting rods just to move them off the pins. Then when the new attachment was on tightening them up to hold it.

With the quick attach I got from Northern I can backup and hook the pins without having to adjust the lower links. Usually the longest part of the hookup is connecting the PTO shaft. ....

Easy hitch on B7510

View my Photos
vrenuguy

2004-08-02          92507

One other thing that needs to be mentioned. I installed Pat's Easy change on my 7510, only to discover that it added 4" to the Hitch length, on a class 1, that extends the drive shaft for PTO driven equipment, which, since the shaft is so short already, will probably require replacement. OOPS! Never thought of that! ....

Easy hitch on B7510

View my Photos
Oliver

2004-08-02          92509

In the end, I agreed with Murf and returned the Easy Hitch system. I found that by getting angry and frustrated with the implement, I get a rush of adreneline which allows me to muscle it into place quite quickly. If I try to remain calm, it takes far longer... ....

Easy hitch on B7510

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-08-02          92515

RE: an earlier post I made to you on the Kobota Back-Hoe you were considering, part of the package changes the bracket where your top link attaches that you now have on your B7510 to much beefier version.
Hope this helps you.
Dean ....

Easy hitch on B7510

View my Photos
JParker

2004-08-10          93186

I'm curious about the length problem on the PTO & Top link. So far I've used it with Bush Hog & Tiller and had no PTO issues. I don't think the dealer cut the shaft to length on either, just collapsed it enough. I've also used with Box blade & Subsoiler just fine as well. As far as the top link, It did seem a little close on the box blade one time, but I had stored in on a sloped surface and had problems getting it hooked. I don't use a top link on the hog, the chain trick I read about here works very well for me cutting on hills.

See photo 6 for closeup of Quick Hitch (Minus a few lost adjusting screws).

-JP ....

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors Easy hitch on B7510

Easy hitch on B7510

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-11          93213

When adding the Quick Hitch, or any other changes to the hook-up of a pto driven piece of equipment, you should always check the engagement length of the pto shaft. You should have at least 3" of engagement anywhere in the implements travel. You can get pto shaft extensions for up to 9" if you determine you don't have enough engagement in the shaft. Running with less than the 3" engagement is very dangerous. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login