Go Bottom Go Bottom

How does every one fuel their tractor There must be a better way

View my Photos
FERRARI
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-08          88022

For years I have been using a small KEROSENE pump that is kind of small and many people use them to fuel kerosene stoves....it is powered by 2 "D" cell batteries and has about a 2 foot shaft that fits into my 5 gallon jugs that I use to haul my fuel in.....I cover my steering wheel with a big piece of old bed sheet that I use for a large rag..then I put 5 gallon jug on top of that and transfer fuel..There must be a better way....How do you fuel?

Link:   http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v248/GARYTUCKER/Coolest_shot_ever.

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-08          88031

Picture #3 is what I use for my refueling rig. It is a 55 gallon tank (you can purchase at TSC) Great Plains Industries pump, hose, and nozzle (TSC), and a Golden Rod 10 micron fuel filter. Works great but the only draw back it that it takes two people to operate since it is a hand pump. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-08          88034

I have a square, fifty gallon steel tank on a pallet the the tractor can pick up and put in the truck for a trip gas station.
The pump is on the link below. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Murf

2004-06-08          88037

Air pressure, nearly as dependable as gravity.

I brazed an air fitting into a hole drilled in the 'vent plug' of a 55 gallon drum, the pickup tube, filter hose and nozzle screw into the other 'bung hole' opening. I have a $5 pressure regulator that reduces the compressor air pressure (125 psi) down to about 15-20 psi which is more than enough to send it up the hose and into the tank. I think in total it cost about $100 for all the parts.

I have seen it done with 5 gallon Jerry cans and other tanks too, such as a surplus tank from a big truck, but I use the 55 gal. drums because that's what my fuel comes in.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-06-08          88043

I only have a 3 DCI (Diesel cylinder index) and therefore do it the old fashioned way. A 5 gallon can with about 4 gallons fuel and stand on the lift arms. (i.e. tank is behind the seat) Can has a plastic nozzle. I use a paper towel to wipe up any slight spills. That way I get to exercise my arms a bit. I set the lift arms at the proper position for ease of fuel can placement with regard to my height. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-08          88048

Like yooperpete, I have a few six gallon yellow diesel cans. All the fuel gets poured through a water filtering funnel (see link) that I set in the filler nozzle. The funnel gives a much larger target to pour into, minimizing spilled fuel. Full cans are heavy so I use a Han-D-Pump that screws into the can to empty out the first few gallons before lifting and pouring the rest. ....

Link:   Mr. Funnel

View my Photos
Wrangler2k
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-08          88071

I use a five gallon plastic gasoline container with the drip-proof spout that has a lip that has to be rested on the edge of the fuel tank fill opening in order to open.

Hopefully the plastic used for gasoline containers is also good for diesel fuel. Anybody know?

I own a BX23 so five gallons will refill the tank even if I let it get pretty low.

The good thing is it is a little bit of exercise filling the tank.

The bad thing is forcing yourself to go refill the container after you use it. I was going to buy two of them in order to have an extra refill on hand. But then I know that I would only end up with two empty containers when I need them.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-08          88079

My yellow diesel containers are plastic, and it looks to be the same plastic as gasoline cans. I doubt if the plastic will be a problem.

I have three yellow diesel cans. As I empty them I put them in the back of the truck in a plastic tub to keep them from sliding around. Whenever I stop for gas I fill the diesel cans at the same time. Since I don't run 8 hours/day all week long it works fine, but if I was putting that many hours on I'd go for a bulk tank and save the road tax. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-06-08          88083

The plastic cans are ok for diesel. You should be in a habit of only putting diesel in the appropriate "Yellow" or sometimes "Blue" can that is marked diesel. That way no one mistakes it for something else. I don't like the "Blue" diesel cans since "Blue" usually means water. Likewise always mark your 2 cycle cans. That way if your wife, kid or neighbor help themselves in a crisis no mistakes happen.

Note diesel spills will melt your Rhino liner! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-08          88084

Will diesel melt a Line-X liner? I haven't spilled any that I know of, but I don't want to damage it even though my truck is a POS. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-06-08          88087

Ken:
I'm not familiar with the brand line-X. Is that a spray in liner also? The normal plastic bedliners hold up to diesel. It does take sometime but diesel will make the Rhino soft if exposed for a while. I would think any spray in or paint in liner would have the same potential. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-08          88091

Line-X is also a spray-in liner and is the main competition to Rhino Liner. It's a lot harder than Rhino, which makes it more durable IMHO, but it is comparitively slippery so that's a disadvantage. Anyway, I don't want to sacrifice my liner for test purposes :) ....

View my Photos
FERRARI

2004-06-08          88092

I don't have on of these liners, but aren't they covered for the life of you truck no matter what? ....

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors How does every one fuel their tractor   There must be a better way

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-06-08          88095

Ya, but one of their disclaimers is contact with diesel fuel. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-08          88098

The Line-X lifetime warranty covers cracks, bubbles, or flaking. I don't think it covers external damage but I emailed them a question about the possibility of gasoline or diesel fuel damage. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-09          88145

Line-X sent me a chemical compatibility sheet that has the results of exposing their spray on bed liner to 50 different chemicals, everything from creme soda to strong acids. Diesel fuel causes the liner to discolor and swell a bit but they don't consider it a failure. Gasoline causes it to swell a bit and even get a little harder, but when the gasoline evaporates it goes back to normal. The only chemicals that caused a failure were 90% formic acid, Acetic acid, and 10% chrome acid. It passed the test with other acids including hydrochloric, sulfuric, and phosphoric. ....

View my Photos
FERRARI

2004-06-16          88658

Bump!!! Back to main topic...please ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-16          88669

If you plan on using the tractor during extended power outages, you should have something like Chief's hand pump or my 12 volt transfer pump. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-06-16          88672

Something as simple as strapping a 30 gallon oil drum to a hand truck with a hand pump and filter would be just as effective and relatively inexpensive. It would still be small and light enough to manage and move around without too much trouble. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-06-16          88676

For those with an FEL and forks, how about a oil drum on a pallet. If the hose was long enough you could just drive up to the pallet lift it up 5' or so and fill your tank by gravity feed. Oil barrels are cheap and a hose and valve could be found for $30(?). When the barrel is empty just lift it into your pickup box or trailer to refill. Fastening it to the pallet on it's side with steel banding or whatever will keep the center of gravity low for transport.

The negative is you would have to put forks on to refuel. It might be worth rigging up a pallet that would easily hook to the loader bucket by just driving up to it and lifting.
Dave ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-06-16          88680

It was common years ago for farms to have fuel tanks up on stilt-like legs, we had several until the early 80's when the insurance companies basically banned them by refusing to insure any place that had them.

A friend came with a similar idea, he has a surplus 25 gallon tractor-trailer fuel tank built onto a steel skid frame, it has a hose and nozzle on it. It 'lives' on pallet racking in his shop, for refilling he just lifts it down and into his pickup then back up later.

Gravity is certainly a dependable way to do it.

Dave, your idea sounds good at first look, but from a safety point of view I'm not sure it is such a good idea. Since most fuel tanks are right in front of the steering wheel your method would require getting out of the operator's seat and working around and / or under the fEL while it was up in the air and under load, not a safe practice.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Bubbaloo

2004-06-16          88698

I heat my house and hotwater with #2 diesel so i have a 275 gal tank that I have put a hand (crank) pump in the top of. I drive up to the tank and pump away. It is very convinent. ....

View my Photos
PARAGON

2004-06-17          88759

There are several electric fuel transfer pumps available. We use a 250gal tank with a manual hand pump that we load on the trailer to take and fill back up, but I have thought of getting one of these electric pumps to make filling the tractors easier. ....

Link:   Air-Operated & Electric Pumps | Fuel Transfer & Lubrication | Northern

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-06-20          88937

Being that I transport my machine often, I usually fill it right up at the station. I have a station 2 miles from home, so in the occasion I run low while at home & I enjoy a nice road cruise on my country back road to the station on the machine. ....

View my Photos
jkjordan

2004-06-21          89052

I also use the yellow plastic cans made for diesel with drip-proof spouts. (Got some at Northern Tool, about $14) Fairly painless - 5 gal is not too heavy to lift, the plastic lip rests on the tank filler neck and opens the spring-loaded valve.

The flow shuts off automatically if you leave it until the tank is full or when you pull the spout out. No drips, no vent caps to mess with. Now if someone around here would just start selling diesel fuel without the road tax...

JKJ ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-06-21          89059

This brings up an interesting fact that not many people know about.

In most jurisdictions there is a program to rebate the road taxes collected on fuel used 'off road'. If you contact the collecting authority (usually the State tax or finance people) they normally have a form that you can fill out for the rebate. In most cases this is nothing to do with, and does not require, that you are a 'farmer'.

Any off-road use qualifies, however they normally do NOT consider boats as off-road users. This is because a portion of the fuel taxes are used to maintain navigational aids, etc., so they consider boats as 'taxable users'.

If you don't buy your fuel road tax-free keep all the receipts and submit them along with the form.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login