Go Bottom Go Bottom

slope indicator for Kubota

View my Photos
jjfinn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-05          87804

Hey guys, I need some help. I have been working with my BX23 on my sloping land. Wondering if there is a slope indicator that I could install (or have installed) on the tractor to provide directly the percent slope that the tractor is on -- ideally both straight ahead and sideways. This would be kind of like a two way level that would read off a scale what the approximate slope is. My purpose is to more objectively gauge slope for my work compared to guessing.

I thought I read about something like this on a discussion board, but have been unable to find it.

Questions: Does something like this exist and what is it called? How might I find one? Anyone with experience with this? Any comments or reaction?

Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-05          87805

Here 'ya go. ....

Link:   Tiltmeter

View my Photos
jjfinn

2004-06-05          87806

Thanks. Looks like just the thing. Maybe the dual meter would work for me.

Wondering if you have used a tiltmeter. Any comments on them? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-05          87808

I bought a single axis model before they released the dual axis one, but I've never mounted it and probably never will. I just don't seem to feel the need for it. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-05          87810

I forgot to say it seems to be a fairly well built unit and is easy to read, but you do have to find a place to mount it where it is level in both axis and can be easily seen. That may not an easy task to accomplish without fabricating some sort of custom mount. ....

View my Photos
funchy

2004-06-05          87817

I just got a BX23 myself last week. The tilt indicator is a great add-on. Trouble is my BX23 book never says how much angle is too much. It is vague and says avoid a slope if it "feels unsafe".

Is there a rule of thumb for side-angle slope safety on the BX23? or in general?

Thanks in advance. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-06-06          87823

Tilt meters are OK but NOTHTING can compare to the SOPTM. Mine is finely tuned. ;o) I would conside buying one if the seller of the tilt meter advertised here or elsewhere bysides the "Taliban Like Tractor Board TLTB". ;o) ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-06-06          87837

Ken - I just checked out that site. It says they have "new" mounting brackets that dont need to be on a level surface & only consume a 1" X 2" sized surface area. You can either velcro these brackets of screw them on. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-06-06          87838

Funchy - It depends on your situation. Do you have foam filled rear tire of calcuim? & your rear implement. I have both rear foam filled tires & a backhoe on most of the time & I'll tell ya, she seems almost unflipable. Rear wieght can double your degree of slope to ride on. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-06          87840

That's good info, they didn't have those mounting brackets when I bought mine. One of those would be very useful. I agree with Chief, though, the SOPTM seems to work just fine. Even with the tiltmeter you need a calibrated SOPTM to make sure you don't get in trouble. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-06-06          87841

Chief, I'm thinking Ken is the only one who can truly calibrate his SOPTM (see his pic #7). I'm thinking that accurate maximum tilt angle needs to be calibrated to full device constriction.
Dave ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-06-06          87844

I have never done a FULL MOC of my SOPTM and surely hope and pray I never will. I sure Ken must feel the same way. My SOPTM I am sure would go into "emerency discharge" mode long before reaching the angle Ken did. Not a good way to treat the nice yellow tractor seat or good pair of draws. ;o) ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-06          87849

I can only hope that the calibration I did lasts a lifetime! Even a well calibrated SOPTM won't help you when the ground collapses :) ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-06-06          87856

What does soptm sand for? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-06          87858

soptm = Seat Of Pants Tilt Meter, aka "The Pucker Factor" ....

View my Photos
jjfinn

2004-06-06          87879

Thanks for the input. I have calcium filled tires on my BX23 and it seems to handle the tough slopes that I am working on, but I still believe it is critical to exercise caution on any slope. That is part of the reason why I am interested in the tiltmeter.

Chief, sorry that I have to ask, but could you or someone clue me in on what SOPTM means. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
jjfinn

2004-06-06          87880

O.K. I got it. The pucker factor. And Ken's #7 pic is probably the reason why I would like some objective gauge of slope.

I have to say, however, that the BX23 sure handled the slope well when I hit a couple of wet spots on a steep slope and had to kick in the differential lock. It climbed right out of it.

View my Photos
funchy

2004-06-06          87883

grasgod - Thanks for your reply. I just got my kubota. I'm new to tractors, so I'm feeling a bit lost. The manual mentions I can put a calcium solution in the tires but it neglects to mention where to buy it or how to get it in or out of the wheels.

Where can I find out more about adding this to the tires?

Let's say a BX23 is mowing with filled tires and backhoe like you suggest. Can you give an approzimate number this tractor can be tilted before it is at risk? How will I know if it's too steep (short of feeling the wheels come off the ground)?

View my Photos
jjfinn

2004-06-06          87884

Funchy, Talk to your dealer about filling the tires. You will not need to remove the calcium--just leave it in and do your stuff.

Hope that you are having fun with your new orange toy.

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-06-07          87931

funchy - I wasnt able to finish reading your post b/c my subcription is limited on here. I used to have calcium filled rear tires, Then I switched to faom filled & it added alot more weight then the calcium did. In addition, Now my tires are flat proof. Most truck tire stores can install either calcium of foam to your tires. I mean big truck tire stores, Not sears of Town fair tire. With the foam, you may not even need the rear implement wieght. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-06-07          87940

I would recommend away from the calcium filled tires. Many bad experiences over the years with rotted rims have lead to better products being available for tire filling. Check with your Kubkta dealer. Mine are filled for added stability, but not with calcium. Rim Guard is what I believe is available in most areas, and will not rot the rims.

Fill the rear tires, you will notice a big difference, but not with calcium. ....

View my Photos
jjfinn

2004-06-09          88200

Thanks for the input to all of you. I have ordered the dual axis tilt meter and willlet all of you know what my experiences are with it once it arrives, is installed, and I work with it a bit.

Thanks for the comments. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-06-09          88201

When the tires on a small tractor, like a BX, are filled, do they cause problems with mowing? eg leaving ruts in the sod. I need to do something with mine in order to more effictively use the FEL, but I don't want to comprimise the weight for mowing. Ideas?

Thanks again, what a great board! ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-06-09          88204

i need some answers before I can answer that. #1. Is your soil generally damp or wet under your sod? do your tires leave a slight rut now? Is the sod actually sod or is it grass from seed germination that you are just calling sod? Real sod comes in rolls 18" x 6'. you lay it like carpet. ....

View my Photos
funchy

2004-06-10          88208

Thanks for the input on the tire filling. I need to stop by Kubota this week anyway, and when I do I'll see what tire filling options my local dealer recommends. If they say anything interesting, I'll let you know.

I, too, am interested to hear how filled tires affect mowing on grass. My grass does tend to stay wet in some areas (and the frequent rain here isn't helping). Is it comparable to say mowing with the weight of FEL and backhoe attached?

I appreciate your advice. ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-06-10          88221

The BX owners manual has a section on tire ballasting. Without having it right in front of me, I'd like to say that with all four tires filled, it only adds 100lbs-150lbs or so to the whole machine. Not much compared to the 1500lb tracter with mowing deck plus a 207lb (in my case) driver. I can't imagine 150 extra pounds distributed fairly evenly causing additional problems with turf disturbance. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-06-10          88249

It generally wont cause a disturbance unless the turf tends to be wet or the turf is freshly installed rolled sod less then 5 months old. I have walk behind mowers that have even caused ruts in those situation. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-06-10          88274

Sorry, I should have been more spacific. My grass is cultivated grass, not rolled sod. The soil structure here is generally sand under the layer of topsoil (+/-6" topsoil) so it generally isn't that spongy. We too are getting biblical amounts of rain lately so the last statement isn't true currently, but usually it is.

My question boiled down to it's core would be: should I load the tires or us some type of counter weight on the 3pt? Not only would this be a question of mowing, but of the impact on snowblowing and box-blading too. (when Santa brings me a box blade!) ....

Link:   my website

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-10          88292

Two words: Wheel Weights.

Those 26-12x12s can't hold 5 gallons, and I would NEVER fill the front tires.

Well, actually I did, so I guess I would never do it again. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-06-11          88308

"and I would NEVER fill the front tires.

Well, actually I did, so I guess I would never do it again. "

Mark, what happens when you fill the front tires? I've heard many times not to fill them but never really heard why.
Dave ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-11          88323

Beside the hassle and the waste of time and money (because it adds nothing to the stability of the tractor), filled front tires have a harsher ride and add wear and tear to the pivot point and steering mechanism.

I also wonder about the usefulness of a slope indicator given the dynamics of our operating conditions. A safe slope can turn into an unsafe slope with the addition of an unseen rock on the upside or a gopher hole on the downside.

I suspect the average guy might waste precious time checking his meter to see if he was really tipping instead of reflexively taking whatever corrective action is necessary.

I slid into a trench I was trying to refill a couple months ago...... things happen pretty slow compared to a car wreck. Once you pass a certain point all you can do is ride it out.

View my Photos
Murf

2004-06-11          88325

The whole concept of installing something which by it's very design would cause the operator to take their eyes and concentration off the task at hand is not IMHO a very good idea.

Operating any machine requires all your attention, operating on a slope even more so.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-06-11          88356

Av8r - I recommend you foam fill the rear tires only & possibly even whell wieghs if you still feel ify on the slopes of your property..the more rear wight the marryier! ....

View my Photos
jjfinn

2004-06-19          88896

O.K. Several things to report. Tiltmeter arrived Wed and installed in afternoon. Due to soft ground giving way, had rollover on Thursday. While not fun, seatbelt and keeping my hands/arms in allowed me to walk away totally O.K. At time of rollover, did not even have second to look at tiltmeter installed on hood. Tractor lost some oil and coolant, but dealer service guy says that all is well after he refilled the two fluids. So, the tiltmeter did not help (since the ground gave way) and I will probably try to stay clear of the slope until I find a better way to do my tasks.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-19          88897

jjfinn, I'm really glad you're OK. Secondly, glad your machine is OK. Been there, done that, no fun at all. ROPS and seatbelts are sure lifesavers. That was my experience with a rollover, no tiltmeter will help when the soil gives way under you. I'm sure it helped to calibrate your sphincter. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-06-19          88898

jjfinn, glad to hear that niether you or your tractor were hurt. Sounds like there was not much you could have done except ride it out. At least now your SOPTM is FULLY calibrated and unfortunately you have also checked out the SOPTM emergency rectal discharge mode. ;o) In my opinion, the tilt meters may be a good guage to set for observing the amount of slope angle NOT to exceed. Otherwise, as you have already mentioned, you won't even look at it when something like that happens. The important thing is that you were not injured. Glad things turned out so well. ....

View my Photos
jjfinn

2004-06-19          88899

Further point: I really appreciated the points made by Ken and the full discussion of tiltmeters in the safety forum. It may have helped me avoid injury or worse. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2004-06-20          88932

A friend of mine is a carpenter. He has an angle finder that looks very similar to the products on the web-link provided here on page one. It has a heavy magnet on the base that would allow it to stick to about any spot on a Kubota. Could check angles in any direction and once you have qualified your property it has an alternate use :>. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login