Go Bottom Go Bottom

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
petushead
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-24          86738

Well,

We did it. This weekend I helped my dad take off his new mid mount mower and sharpen the blades after only 8hrs on the total machine. Simply put, taking off this unit was not an easy task and think my dad might have a very hard time if I am not around. The mid pto was difficult to put on/off and I was told to raise the front end of his B2910 to get at the shaft..it helped. Still we are wondering if we should of got a RMM instead of the MMM since I am scared of this tractor falling on him with the front end up...does the mid mount give a better cut compared to the RMM? How hard is it to take off the blades and clean under a RMM...I was pushed towards the MMM by the dealer because of its ease of use compared to the RMM but really I am not sure I want to trade the ease of use with a broken back..

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
TNCHRIS

2004-05-24          86745

All we have heard form you is complaints about your kubota,if you really own one, you may just work for deere and are trying to boost your own sales. If you rally do own one, why not just sell it and hire a landscaper to mow for you? or has all your complaining done run them all off too? ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-24          86747

Not too sure what you were mowing that you had to sharpen the blades after only 8 hrs., but that aside, all MMM require a little practice and some time to remove and install. I traded my MMM for a RFM for just that reason. I really like the convenience, and it does a nice job on the lawn. But RFMs take some getting used to also. The pattern of mowing needed to be adjusted for the swing of the mower and I probably trim a little more than I used to.

I'm happy to be a CUT owner, and enjoy the challenge of figuring out how best to make the machine work for my needs. " You don't always get what you want, but of you try some time, you just might find, you get what you need".
Rock on. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
petushead

2004-05-24          86750

Tnchris,

First off..learn to spell and second maybe you should'nt be so sensitive about a little constructive criticism about my machine..I have said my tractor has its ups but just because I mention some downs it should not hurt your feelings..maybe someone could actually listen to my remarks and put them to good use by improving the little short comings I have found with my tractor...we do live in democracy don't we?? I can express things maybe not to everyones liking....no, I do not work for deere....do you work for Kubota..if so maybe you could talk to them about my concerns... ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-05-25          86764

I have the 7800 which is the scaled down version of the 2910 and I also have the 60" MMM. I took my deck off the other day in about 5 minutes. I'm not sure what you are doing but my mid PTO shaft slides on and off with no problem. The only difficult part is sliding the deck out front under the mower and it's not that bad if you pick the front end up in the air with the FEL. With only 8 hours on the machine, you may want to give yourself a little more time on the machine before complaining about it. I've put about 25 to 30 hours mowing on my machine which included mowing high wet grass and the blades still cut great. I have been very impressed with how easy it is to remove the MMM and the FEL. Maybe you should have went with the 72" deck as I think it is advertised as a drive over deck. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-25          86781

I'm a little confused here.

First of all on clean ground I don't know how your blades could get dull in 8 hours cutting time, we cut commercially and only need to 'touch up' the blades after 3 long days of cutting.

Secondly I'm not sure why you would need to remove the deck, surely it's easier to just lift the deck and remove the blades only, or at worst case, undo one end of the lift and tip the deck up using the hydraulics leaving the lift and driveshaft in place.

Best of luck. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
Blueman

2004-05-25          86785

I have a rear mount mower, and yes, it is convenient to get on and off the tractor...that is the only advantage, period. A MMM does a better job, is faster at getting close to trees, and you don't get a pain in your neck from having to turn around all of the time. If my tractor had a mid PTO, I would trade it in a heartbeat. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
riverratba

2004-05-25          86829

i have a B7610 with the 60" MMM. I can have the mower out in about 10 min. i jack the front end up about 6 or 8 in. and roll it out. as far as the pto shaft goes when i pull the collar back it almost comes out by itself ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
FERRARI

2004-05-25          86837

There is no need to take off deck to sharpen blades!!!I have been doing it for 19 years!!! All you have to do is get a set of steel car ramps....roll tractor up on them and put brake on and scotch rear wheels! I have never heard of anyone taking the whole darn deck off just to sharpen blades.....It is perfectly safe....!!!! ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
oneace

2004-05-25          86844

Well to properly sharpen a blade it should be removed from the deck so you can check the balance when you are done and that to kind of hard to do unless you have an impact. But if you are just touching up as murf stated there really is no reason to remove the deck. If your blades are not balanced you will eventually damage the spindle bearings or they will ware out faster. not to mention the vibrations you might feel. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
FERRARI

2004-05-25          86849

I take off my blades every time I sarpen them....I have no impact wrench...Have been doing it for years....I hollow grind my blades and use 6 blades instead of 3..I cross the blades at right angles.....this cuts clippings so small you can barely see them......I KNOW I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS......HAVE YOU TRIED IT....? ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
TNCHRIS

2004-05-25          86858

PET HEAD
did not know spelling was required to own or fix tractors and equipment. if you give your machanics an english test before they work on your stuff you'll probably be walking.

i have just finished rereading all your post, as i thought i'd missed the ups of "your daddy's tractor" ,could not find anything but negatives about "his" equipment.

would you like some cheese to go with that wine?

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
petushead

2004-05-25          86865

TNCHRIS,

Don't you have a cross to burn or something....yeeeehaaaaa. Maybe you should read more because if you did you would find good things that I have said...you know it has been said that reading a great deal can actually improve your spelling...keep searching and one day one very special day you will find it mr redneck... ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
TNCHRIS

2004-05-26          86880

pet head
if you click on link it will bring up everything you have posted to here. you find anything but negatives.

OF ALL THE TRACTOR SITES I HAVE BEEN TO YOU ARE THE FIRST I HAVE RUN INTO THAT WAS STEREOTYPING THE SOUTH!!!!!

AND MAY I QUOTE YOU IN ONE OF YOUR OWN POST, "I AM A FOOL" AND WITH ATTATUDES LIKE TOURS THAT'S ALL YOU WILL EVER BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES THERE ARE SOME HEATED TALKS HERE, BUT YOU ARE THE FIRST AND I HOPE THE LAST TO BRING RACE, CREED, COLOR OR LOCATION INTO ONE.

Link:   pets post

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
petushead

2004-05-26          86884

MY "Daddy" told me to ignore morons. Do you have a life? maybe if you spent less time on the net you could actually get out of the trailer park. This will be my last response..so in parting let me add one last remark. Qpwoi woiupoe qpi itowuowe. See I can write TNCHRISESE....now get back to repairing my Kubota. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
FERRARI

2004-05-26          86892

I guess nobody cares about how to sharpen blades.BY TAKING THEM OFF WITHOUT HAVING TO REMOVE DECK....BTW...I am from TENNESSEE...HAVE TWO PD.D DEGREES IN SCIENCE.....AND CAN SPELL AND YOU KNOW WHAT, I DON'T BURN CROSSES!!!!! ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
petushead

2004-05-26          86894

FERRARI,

My last message was directed to TNCHRIS not you. I am thankful for the advice you give....again, sorry for any misunderstanding. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-26          86896

Petushead: when you let loose with a load like that you have to expect it will offend almost everyone who reads it.

I was offended. I don't think anybody deserved that sort of rhetoric. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-26          86900

Ditto !!

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
oneace

2004-05-26          86959

Opinions are opinions weather right or wrong. Some of us my self included need to learn how to accept it or shrug it off. This my daddy will beat up your daddy stuff is for kids.

As far as stacking blades yes I have seen it done but did you do it right. I've seen stacked blades come fling off when not fabbed right. Since you have been doing it for years I assume you have them installed right. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-05-26          86962

Hold on guys be right back, something just came flying through my window and stuck into monitor............Hmmmmmmmmm!!! whats this? Looks like a dull mmm blade. No......it's two bolted together. Well gotta go, needed to change the oil in my truck tonight, still need to put the motor back in. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
FERRARI

2004-05-27          86999

I thought I could help some people here....but looks like everybody already knows everything.....MY YARD OF 4.2 ACRES IS THE THICKEST HIGHEST CUT LAWN YOU COULD IMAGINE...pleas forgive me for being so adamant but It does work.....has for years......you need much more lifting power when cuttin at 7 inches and the extra sharp blades and 6 EXTRA cutting surfaces cut the discharge into much smaller pieces.....the grass is much more heat tolerant of heat....and most much thicker so weeds can not servive or even sproug..... core areation on a regular basis removes all broad leaves without having to use any weed killers.....IF YOU ARE REMOVING THE WHOLE MID-MOUNT-MOWER JUST TO SHARPEN THE BLADES ..YOU ARE WASTING HUGE AMOUNTS OF TIME....You can easily and safely remove the blades as I have stated....and sharpen them...I have over 3500 hours of cutting this way and have never had a blade come off....BY THE WAY....as the blades turn they tighten and therefore it is impossible for them to come off unless you could STOP blades suddenly......then and only then could they come off..... ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
Blueman

2004-05-27          87000

I have a 6' Befco rear mount, rear discharge mower. The extra blades sound like a good idea for helping me chop up the grass better...what about wear and tear on the spindle bearings from the extra weight? And, FERRARI, do you own one? How about a picture? ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
FERRARI

2004-05-27          87002

I have two Kubotas..B 8200 HST with 60 inch MMM and B2910 with 72 inch MMM...have 3500 hrs. on B8200 and spindles are not harmed at all....Secret is to use high temp. grease and grease bearings every 10 hrs liberally...I promise you this works...SEE MY OTHER POSTS.... ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
Blueman

2004-05-27          87003

Do you own a Ferrari? I'm not only a tractor guy...cars are actually right up there! ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
FERRARI

2004-05-27          87006

2004 ENZO FERRARI.... ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
Blueman

2004-05-27          87009

Must be nice!! I'm an account rep for "a large over night transportation company in Tennessee", and one of my accounts is a Ferrari dealer in Fort Lauderdale. The parts mgr told me what a set of brakes cost for an Enzo...let's just say I can't afford the BRAKES! Have fun with your MACHINES! ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
oneace

2004-05-27          87043

sorry can't help but wounder how you acquired a car that there are only is 100 in the u.s.? At a cost of over 1.5million. And yet you mow your own grass? ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
FERRARI

2004-05-27          87046

You cut grass because you have to, I cut grass because I LOVE IT.!!!HAVE LOVED IT FOR YEARS AND WILL LOVE IT til the day I die...Since It is impossible for stacked or any other blades to come off while cutting..How did you hear of this happening?
I also fly sailplanes...My perfect day is cutting, going flying and then the next day going to WORK.I ALSO DON'T HAVE TO WORK! BUT I DON'T HAVE TO.. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
FERRARI

2004-05-27          87047

WHY DON'T YOU STOP BY AND SEE ME,YOU LIVE IN TENNESSEE! Then I can show you my yard! and car! Car cost about 1/4 what you say...but I will kindly sell it to you for price you stated ! I just bought a new B-2910 with 72" MMM..for $15,800.....Saw on this forum where someone Paid over $18,500. for same item...now for money you state I could have bought TWO ME-FOUR-TWELVES.KNOW WHAT THEY ARE! ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
oneace

2004-05-27          87049

There is no way you got an enzo for 375000. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
oneace

2004-05-27          87051

look at this link over 1 million dollars for A 2003 ....

Link:   

Click Here

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
oneace

2004-05-27          87052

man you must really be dipped in it. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
FERRARI

2004-05-27          87053

When are you comming to see me? ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
oneace

2004-05-27          87055

the second tuesday of next week. I live in pa. And you do not have an enzo. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
wampuscat

2004-05-27          87059

Just purchased a new B2910 72"MMM, FEL, Foldable ROPS, all Kubota equipment. $18,400 delivered. Dealer called today, said it would be in my drive tomorrow.
About the blades 90 degrees out. I have an old Gravely super convertible setup like that. It was that way when puchased and has been for years, Works great.
Neighbors never wanted to borrow the Gravely, even with the double blades. Bet that FEL will get more attention.
Probably will not sleep tonight. Visions of Kubota in my head. P.S. love reading your posts ya'll. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
TNCHRIS

2004-05-27          87061

i got five that says he has it. somebody had to buy them, why not him. not everyone in the south is poor and few are lairs. 5 of the top 95 marketing areas in the nation are in tennessee. i know several dirt farmers that are multimillionairs to look at them you'd probally buy them lunch thinking they are broke. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-05-27          87064

There is no reason why someone who has a tractor, and who likes to use it, would not also have the money to buy an enzo. There is a wide variety of folks on this website. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-27          87066

I don't know what an Enzo is..... but I have a question:

Is there someplace to put a bag of groceries if there are two people on board? ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-27          87071

You can't always tell who owns what. I have a brother who lives in a mid-priced suburban home and drives a beat up Nissan pickup and he has a Ferrari 275 GTB long nose and a Lamborghini something or other. Obviously FERRARI is under no obligation to prove anything to anyone here, but I'd like to see a picture of his Enzo parked next to one of his Kubotas. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-05-28          87082

I've always enjoyed sports cars as well as my tractors. Back in my college days I got a Maserati. I've had it ever since............. but unfortunately it is only a bicycle. That's all I could afford then and things haven't changed much since. ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
oneace

2004-05-28          87124

I would like to see a picture like that as well. They are awesome cars. But you would have to get the roof rack or your groceries lol. If he would have came near the price of what one cost I would have possibly be lived him. But he was way off 375,000 to 1,225,000 that is a big difference. But any way back to tractors....... ....

60 quot MMM blues

View my Photos
FERRARI

2004-06-06          87843

The reason blades need sharpening is because I HOLLOW GRIND them....this means...sharpening them with less than a 20 degree angle....very sharpe......but then they dull quickly....a good friend of mine owns..FROST CUTLERY....That's right....he makes kinves.....about 10 years ago I got to talk with Jim's head metallurgist and ask him how to get blades the sharpest possible.....he helped me set up a grinding wheel to sharpen my blades at about 19 to 20 degrees....very sharpe....and also to cross blades at right angles....use 6 blades instead of 3....in order to produce clippings that are so tiny they just disappear into grass already cut....remember adding extra set of blades like this also allows me to cut at 7 to 8 inches hight.....when you cut this hight, you need MUCH more lifting power to raise grass and cut...this is accomplished also by the 6 blades as opposed to just 3....I have stated this here before.....JUST TRY IT..YOU WILL SEE...BTW..It is safe, because blades TIGHTEN AS THEY TURN, not loosen !
I also put B 2910 and B 8200 on strong metal car ramps...to get to blades without taking MMM off....I can not believe that some people take their deck off to sharpen blades!...I can take blades off...pressure wash blades to get green gook off of them, sharpen them and re-install them in about 45 minutes....Yesterday I cut grass that was almost 20 inches high down to 7 to 8 inches...with no grass build-up ! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login