Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor shipping

View my Photos
domogala
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-22          86604

I want to know if anyone here has shipped a tractor about 2500 miles (in this case it is a grand L30) and a) which carriers are out there that will do this, and b) how much should I expect to spend for such a haul?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tractor shipping

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-23          86640

I have seen high volume dealers advertise shipping new units at a buck a mile, but that was before gas went through the roof.

No doubt they also had some of those transport costs built into their price structure. ....

Tractor shipping

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-23          86642

As Mark mentioned with the cost of fuel rising daily; don't be surprised if the cost is $1.50 per loaded mile or more. May not be such a good deal after you figure in shipping costs. ....

Tractor shipping

View my Photos
dsg

2004-05-23          86657

I do some hauling with my 6-ton deckover. I was charging 1.50 a loaded mile before the gas price increase and now will charge 2.00 but will keep my minimum at $50.00

David ....

Tractor shipping

View my Photos
texbaylea
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-23          86664

I have seen tractors on auto transports. Why don't you look in to companies that move autos for people moving great distances. Cost might be cheaper in a consolidated load. ....

Tractor shipping

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-05-24          86677

An autotransport service is an excellent idea. You can have a car shipped cross country for $700, way less than a local hauler that would charge at $1.00-$1.50 per mile. A car hauler doesn't care what they are transporting as long as it has an engine and wheels. I've even seen golf carts and ATV's on autocarriers. A bigger tractor (>50hp) might be more of an issue though simply due to size and weight. ....

Tractor shipping

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-25          86782

We routinely have to ship equipment great distances, overseas even, and have tried every way known to man, and few that weren't even known.

It basically comes down to two realistic options. We call them 'open' and 'closed' shipping. Closed shipping is a container, very secure, able to ship ANYTHING that will fit in for a flat rate, the problem is the flat rate can be expensive relatively speaking, cheap if you count security. Open shipping is divided into two types, auto transport, the more costly and risky way, and as 'standby' or 'top-load' frieght. If there is a large trucking company nearby you can often get them to load a CUT on the back of a flatbed loaded weight-wise, but with empty deck space. This is the cheapest way to go, but a little less secure, and you cannot depend on time, or the destination having a ramp or ground level access, a tilt & load is often required.

Best of luck. ....

Tractor shipping

View my Photos
oneace

2004-05-25          86852

A grand L will not fit on a car hauler trailer or a closed box or van trailer. Drop deck or flat bed is the only way they can be hauled and they are heavy. Right now is not the time to pay shipping on a tractor. Are you buying a new one or a used one or what is the reson for the transport? ....

Tractor shipping

View my Photos
Art White

2004-05-25          86854

Depending on set up they will fit in a box van or trailer that is 8' wide or even in the 7'6" trailers witout any problem just some good driving. ....

Tractor shipping

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-05-26          86875

I second that. If you look into hauling it on a tandem axle flat bed, single auto-carrier, flat deck dove tail, or similar light duty trailer, find out what the weight is for that particular model. Weights are listed on the Kubota website. Remember that the center of gravity is MUCH higher than a car. The wider, lower, and longer the trailer, the better. ....

Tractor shipping

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-26          86898

Oneace, I'm not sure what you base your statements on, but based on experience, lots of experience, I can tell you that a GrandL30 series most definitely DOES FIT in a shipping container and on an auto hauler. All you have to do is unbolt or fold the ROPS to get it into a container, box truck or trailer.

As for heavy, even a cab model 5030 is only just over 4,000 pounds. The FEL doesn't add that much more weight. Considering a 2wd regular cab pickup is about 5,000 pounds it can't be much of a problem.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login