Go Bottom Go Bottom

tractor not as stable as I had hoped

View my Photos
snogless
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-28          84630

I bought a Bush Hog, 72" rear-mount finish mower to go with my new B7800. I haven't used it yet but I "tried it on" and drove around the yard. I'm afraid that there is going to be about 1/3 of my lawn that is too steep to use this on. I used to mow with a Yamaha TerraPro 4-wheeler with a rear-mount, PTO drive finish mower. This thing was like a mountain goat. It's a shame that I spent so much money on this mower/B7800 and I won't be able to use it on my whole lawn without fear of tipping over. I'll have to come up with some good excuse for the better half or there'll be hell to pay.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-28          84632

Have you talked to your dealer? Since it's still new maybe they can work a trade for a model that is more stable on hills (lower center of gravity). ....

View my Photos
blizzard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-29          84670

Snogless,
I don't own a B7800, but here's some comments.
Measure the center to center rear tread, perhaps your rear wheels can be adjusted to a wider track for more stability. Sometimes the setup is to position the wheels for the minimum track. Also , when you talk to your dealer, see if all the recommended ballast is installed, and that you're using the tractor in the proper configuration and at the proper speed.
I know from experience at first a CUT can seem quite unstable. You sit up high, and once off the level it feels 'real uncomfortable'. As you get more seat time you will be more comfortable and more able to use the machine within its safe range. (This doesn't mean you gotta roll it to find that range!)
Generally, tractors should not be operated on a side slope, rather straight up or down the hill, and in that mode are able to negotiate some steep grades safely, with proper care.

There's quite a discussion about operation on slopes on the Safety Forum (Subject: Freaked Out About Rollovers) that may be of interest.

As Ken said, talk with your dealer. You've spent a good piece of change and should get the work you paid for from your machine.
Hope you have safe and enjoyable seat time,
bliz ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-04-29          84674

I was concerned as well about the stability of my 7800, but after mowing with it a couple of times I feel more comfortable. It was amazing how much more stable it became after taking the loader off the front while mowing. Of course I have the 60"mmm and I have mowed on slopes that I never figured I could. Since you are using a 72" bushhog you may not be able to take off the FEL. Just make sure you keep the ROPS up and seatbelt fastened in case you push the envelope too far.
Good luck. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-04-29          84679

I find mine alot more stable without the FEL. If you need counterweight, consider suitcase weights for the front. They mount low and actually lower the center of gravity of the tractor. Are your tires filled? This also helps stabalize the tractor by lowering the center of gravity.

The rear wheels on the 7800 do have two tread settings. Make sure you are set up with the wide tread.

I had a BX sized tractor before the 7800, and was unconfortable with it at first too. Safety is always first, but try a few things to set up the machine and see if you can get comfortable with it. Changing mowing patterns may also help. Good luck and be Safe. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-29          84680

I think plotting a mowing pattern might help if that hasn't already done. Biggest thing is to eliminate mowing across hills. Next is to avoid going up hills without adequate front weight. If working on side-hills can't be eliminated, then adding weight on the uphill side might help. However, the 'how-to' likely are all hare-brained and no to be recommended. Besides, then any hills would have to be cut going in the same direction. That may take some planning or it might take a bunch of driving around without doing any work time. Nothing easy here but domestic strife is good to avoid and maybe some extraordinary measures would serve well. ....

View my Photos
PaulPrince

2004-04-29          84695

Have you added ballast to your tires? There are many discussions on this forum on lowering center of gravity with wheel weights or fluids (such as water) in the rear tires. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-29          84698

Hills are a REAL problem for us as well, golf courses are a real 'catch 22' in a lot of ways. Everybody wants 'rolling hills' and picturesque scenery, but the reality of it is somebody still has to maintain those areas.

When you have to cut the grass on a major slope every other day the novelty wears off real fast, and the 'thrill' gets less thrilling each time.

Usually what we try to do is make sure there is a flat(ish) area at the top and bottom of every slope, this way the grass can be cut in a straight up / straight down manner and all turning around is done OFF the sloped area wherever possible.

This does take a little planning, and often some changes in the design or terrain, and certainly consideration must be given to the landscaping, but poorly designed plantings are certainly going to be sacrificed in the name of safety.

Very seldom is there NOT a safe, simple soultion.

If you know of a reputable local landscape company, or even a landscape architect they will often come out and advise you on how and what to change for very little money, especially considering the risk to your safety that is involved.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-04-29          84699

More Data Please:

Do you have a FEL attached? That is a very large rear mowing deck for this class tractor. It has to have some sort of front ballast/counter weight.

What type of tires? R-1's feel much more unstable than R-4's.

Can you trade for a midmount deck? It would be much more stable I think. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-29          84700

Whatever you do, talk to your dealer before you put a bunch of hours on it trying different things. ....

View my Photos
snogless

2004-05-01          84921

Dealer is coming over tomorrow (Sunday) to bring back my tractor after servicing). He wants to see the lawn I'm worried about. (This is why I bought from him) Now, let's see what he thinks. I'll be back. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login