Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX1500 backhoe

View my Photos
Tractorhead
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-26          84372

Does anyone manufacture a small (4ft dig) backhoe for the BX tractors? I'm intersted in light household use, nothing commercial. I know 3pt mounting is an issue and I have the ability to adapt it to a rigid/chassis mounting as I feel this is better. Suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BX1500 backhoe

View my Photos
unit5alive

2004-04-26          84395

Woods has one coming out for the bx shortly! contact andrew green,engineer at woods. ....

BX1500 backhoe

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-27          84452

It might be good to think through the uses for it. I know that several times I've ended up with a shovel rather than my 6' hoe since I realized the shovel would be faster than hooking up the hoe.

Hoes with little buckets also don't work that fast or move much more dirt than a shovel per stroke and shovel strokes are a lot faster--depending on the shoveler of course. Me, I'm on the slow side of shovel strokes, but then my back can use the work sometimes even more than the tractor. A 4' hoe may not be able to dig even 2' trenches without taking more time than a shovel because the tractor'd have to be moved very frequently. Work for a small hoe can be pretty limited.

I'm not trashing the idea but it'd probably be good to make sure there's enough work to keep the hoe reasonably busy. Otherwise there may be better uses for the money. ....

BX1500 backhoe

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-04-27          84456

Tractorhead; Tom is right the tiny ones are mighty slow, kinda one step above a spade, but like Tom, my spade speed has droped off real bad. I don't know what size your tractor is capable of handling in a hoe, but get a bigger one if you can. I've got a Deere #48 on a 4310, the size and capabilitys of the #48 handle 98% of my needs. Not as fast as a full size hoe, but I'm not supposed be in a hurry anymore, (Yeah right). Frank. ....

BX1500 backhoe

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-27          84468

I would second the notion that anything less than a 6 foot B/H would have questionable utility.

That said, there is no reason why the BX 1500 couldn't handle a properly designed lightweight 6 foot backhoe.

Have I gone over the edge? Blowing smoke? What am I basing this on?

A nearby small engine shop has started selling a Massey Ferguson badged four wheel drive garden tractor made by Simplicity.

It is new (Dec '03) and the latest sales literature show a factory approved lightweight backhoe. While I couldn't get exact specs, it was mounted on the tractor in the picture I saw and judging from it's relative size it has a six foot reach.

This 1100 pound tractor, to my knowledge, would be the lightest T/L/B package on the market and the only one available with a gasoline engine. ....

Link:   Simplicity Legacy XL

BX1500 backhoe

View my Photos
jarndt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-27          84487

Hummm... Looks like an overpriced scaled up version of a riding mower. Personally, I'd rather have a scaled down version of a real tractor, like the Kubota BX series, JD2210, or New Holland. And how on earth does that thing have an FEL but no ROPS???

BX1500 backhoe

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-04-27          84493

It's on the options list. Deere does the same with their X series. Maybe over a certain weight a ROPS is mandated??? ....

BX1500 backhoe

View my Photos
Tractorhead

2004-04-27          84498

Thanks for the insight fellas. My ground here is very rocky, many the size of a clenched fist and just a real pain to spade thru. I tease my wife about planting flowers with a spud bar! I'm always involved in some little project and figured a small hoe would save my spine. I have the p.t.o. pump and such to power a number of cylinders and was considering building my own hoe attachment custom fit to the tractor/my needs. I love my BX1500 and for the other uses, I don't need a bigger tractor or the expense of one. If I do decide to pursue this venture further, I'm going to fabricate a sub-mount that will allow me a "fast hitch" feature with the hoe. The fun in this for me is in the design and fabrication....upon completion of that, the work begins. (I'm married) ....

BX1500 backhoe

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-04-27          84548

I will stop by and find out who makes the hoe for the M/F garden tractor if you wish. ....

BX1500 backhoe

View my Photos
Tractorhead

2004-04-28          84554

That would be great! I appreciate any help I can get.
thanks, Larry. ....

BX1500 backhoe

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-04-28          84562

a couple of years ago when john deere still made real garden tractors. There was two different companies that built hoes for a 318-430 garden tractors. They were 5 foot hoes. You could also use cadplans build it yourself. I just got a set from another member, he built on for a 2210. Also could hire yourself a mexican at $6 an hour and give him a shovel. ....

BX1500 backhoe

View my Photos
pops99

2005-11-26          119862

You might try the internet. There are a couple places that offer plans to build one. try http://www.p.f.engineering 50megs.com. I have a set of their plans and they seem to be pretty good.
Barry ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login