Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX 1800 Power SteeringCylinder Problems

View my Photos
Wayne Morris
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-22          83918

I have a BX 1800 w/ 252hrs on it - noticed a lot of play in the steering wheel before the wheels would engage - problem started about a year ago - sometimes wheels wouldn't engage for a few minutes - contacted the dealer who advised at that time that they didn't know, to add more hydraulic fluid. The last time this happened, the wheels wouldn't engage at all anymore and you could spin the steering wheel. Contacted the dealer again - this time I was told that the power steering cylinder had blown - said this was the 3rd BX 1800 he had had complaint about, and that one only had 52hrs on it. He agreed to fix it under warranty since he had been advised about it last year - this is great, but I'm concerned that this will happen again as it appears to be prone to the BX 1800 - I have contacted Kubota and am awaiting an answer -

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-22          83949

BX1800 and 2200 are the same in this area and we sold over 100 last year and I don't remember any failures there. We will now that I've said that but I don't think that it is a big problem or would I worry to much about it. We have BX's with over 1000 hours on them and not had a problem. ....

View my Photos
stemmler1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-22          83956

I have a BX1800 and the power steering started having problems at about 50 hours. It was getting so bad that when I drove it on the road the tractor was swaying back and forth. I finally just lost the power steering all togehter and had to bring it into the dealer. They have to change the whole power steering system. Luckly, it was still under warrenty by 1 week. ....

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-22          83980

as art said we have also sold alot of those units and have not heard of any problems like that. the stearing in those units and most any unit poduced today a a hydostacic stearing systmem. and in my experience the cyl. is usually not the problem but rather the stearing unit it self. but every situation is different and with out haveing the tractor in front of me i'm not going to try and make a diagnosis. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-04-24          84133

Oneace or Art: Can you explain how the orbital valve works? Are there vains in it like in a hyd. pump or motor? No problems with my 2230, but just curious. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-04-24          84139

Most pumps are not vane but there are many vane style used.. I haven't looked at one as normally we just toss the old ones unless under warrantee. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-24          84142

I'd advise you to send a note to the consumer product safety commission about this problem. It's a serious safety issue - what would have happened if your steering went out while roading your BX? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-24          84154

Just for fun I went over to another board (whose name I won't mention) and there were three or four people who reported the same problem, so Wayne you're not the only guy to experience this. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-24          84166

well most hyd pumps and motor are one of two designs. On is a piston type the other is a gear type. Vanes are rarely used anymore.

an orbital valve is basically two plates one fixed and one rotating with a series of holes in each depending on which holes are in line at a certain time depends on where the hyd fluid flows and how much to go in a certain direction. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-04-24          84168

Oneace: Isn't the "steering unit" an orbital valve? Do you know of an exploded view of one somewhere on the 'net? I can't follow your discription and relate it to a steering cyllinder in my mind. Like I said, no problems with mine, but curiosity is gonna get me on this one. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-24          84174

none that i know of.

All that it does is supply one end or the other of the actual cyl. with a certain amount of fluid in regards to the direction and distance the steering wheel is turned.
This type of steering is called hydrostatic steering, because there is no linkage connecting the steering wheel to the steering rods.
Then there is hydraulic assist steering. That type has an actual linkage connecting the steering wheel to the steering rods. Some where in the system depending on manufacturer there is one or two hyd. cyl. they are controlled by a servo in the steering box that it will direct fluid in one direction or the other depending on which direction you turn the wheel. It dose this by either raising or lowering the servo just a few fractions of an inch just by the force exerted against it by the steering column normally right turns will force it down and left turns will bring it up. this system is rarely used any longer.

i do have hydrostatic pictures and diagrams at work but i do not have a scanner to get them on the comp. I could snail mail them if you would like. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-04-26          84410

not nessesary. Thanks though. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-26          84414

no problem I'm working on getting a scanner soon when i get one I'll get you the diagrams. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login