Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor backhoe selection questions

View my Photos
domogala
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-19          83631

I've been researching the following tractors: L35, L3130, B21, B2910 and the B7800.

My main uses for the machine are material spreading, trenching, grading and some stump removal. The use is residential on 2 acres of land. The stumps I am removing and will have to remove in the future are fairly large pine stumps, ranging from 18" to 24". I have rented a JD4300 with a 48 backhoe in the past to pull a couple of stumps. I realized that I could not just get under them and rip, but had to methodically dig around and break the roots to loosen the stump. It took a bit of time but I was able to do the job.

If I wanted the top of the above choices for backhoe power, it appears that the L35 would be the machine of choice. However the price tag is way out of my league. The next sensible machine appears to be the L3130. The base price is a bit out of the ball park for me (quoted $29.5K), but I also question needing that size of machine, being that I will eventually use it for snow removal and ultimately mowing once my current mowing machine is retired. Next in line is the B7800. Looks like it has all the capability I need in a slightly smaller frame tractor. Price point is pretty much on the money ($23.9K with loader and backhoe). The B2910 appears to be very close to the B7800 with a few more creature comforts. I also considered the B21, but there is no option for a belly mower, so that one has been eliminated.

So, I want to hear from some experienced folks about the backhoe options for the B7800. If I'm correct, the choices are the BL4672 and the BL4690. Are there any crucial differences between the two besides the digging depth?

Now the most important question, is there any other tractor / backhoe choice that is worth considering?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
blizzard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-19          83643

That sounds high for a L3130HST, FEL, and backhoe.
Maybe Art White can tell better if that is straight list price or you are getting something off....
bliz ....

View my Photos
Zippy-Do-Da
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-19          83646

Those must be Candian Prices?? ....

View my Photos
domogala

2004-04-19          83668

Those are U.S. dollar quotes.

A second dealer (about 8 miles further away from me than the first guy) quoted me $23100 for the B7800 setup and $28300 for the L3130 setup. He was also much more informative about the options and considerations based on my needs. The first dealer failed to tell me (after specifically asking about it) that the BL4690 backhoe was not a true sub-frame mounted backhoe. The second dealer said he usually puts woods 7500 hoes on the B7800 because it is a true subframe mounted hoe (with an installed kit). Any opinions on the BL4690 vs. Woods 7500?

View my Photos
duncspal

2004-04-21          83861

I have a L3130GST with Kubota frontloader and Woods Backhoe. I bought it new for 23,500. I've removed several stumps the size of what you are anticipating. ....

View my Photos
humboldtj

2004-04-21          83899

I'v had my L35 for 2yrs what it lacks in weight and torque it makes up for in agility and versatility. its got a little dog complex. wont swipe trees & stumps like a dozer but some diggin & pryin it'll do the job. for me any smaller machine would frustrate. It's narrow and 4x4 nimble It'll go where bigguns wont. brushhog works great....now I need a b scraper w top/tilt kit for grading...thumb for the bucket...sucks I need to bring it to town to make some $$.... ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-04-22          83951

I don't know how they have it equipped but The L-3130HST with industrial tires retails for 17536 with no options. The LA723 loader is 3307 and depending on the valves 603 and the bucket at 590 getting started. The BH 90 is 7100 and 666 for an 18" bucket. There might besome different options not mentioned or a HD bucket or QT used that I didn't price. There are two loaders available and I did use the heavy one. ....

View my Photos
jpostup

2004-04-28          84644

I bought a B2910 HST, loader BH, and was pretty careful to decide what I planned to do with it, and what work is out of it's capability range.

Pulling 18-24" stumps requires a lot of energy, and I suspect you may be undersized for that job in your list.

A trusted friend I know, owns a range from Kubota to Caterpillar excavator. I'll quote him: " For stump removal A smaller machine makes a bigger hole"

Meaning, you have to dig around the perimeter of the stump and cut roots a lot with a small machine.
Whereas the large unit has enough weight to hold still, and hydraulic power to rip out large stumps as you now have.

I've called him in for the stump jobs with the Cat excavator, and I gotta tell you, I was impressed to see that a machine of that size groan pulling hardwood stumps. After that, I knew I would not have much chance with my small Kubota. OR worst I'll break it trying.

The point in all this, is there is no single machine to cover the range from landscaping to stump removal to land contouring. As much as I tried to solve this, there is a practical limit of what you can realistically expect.
I realize I bought a landscape/mowing machine in the B2910 for tree planting, grading, loader moving dirt etc, light BH work.

I think you'll end up breaking parts if you take on too much with a machine not well sized for stump work.
You would be better of finding your local guy with a large trac based excavator to rip out 2 foot softwood.

But then, that's just my opinion. ....

View my Photos
ccfarms

2004-04-28          84648

Okay I'm from oklahoma. I can't tell you the exacts but I know the L3130 HST is in the 13,000 range. I'm getting a L3130HST with a LA723, plus BH90 hoe, Industrial tires at 24,500. So hopefully that will give you something to measure off of. I was quoted on the tractor itself from 13,150 to 13,800 from 4 different dealers. I never asked the prices on the implements piece by piece. Probably not a good ideal on my part , but i did ask on the tractor alone. ....

View my Photos
Earthsurfing

2009-07-15          164093

I have an L 35 and love it!

It seems like you could find a used one in your price range. I don't think anything smaller will be worth it for stumping.

The L35 is a true TLB, so it has a completely different hydraulic capacity then the other attached backhoes/ loaders. Its a commercial machine and can really do much more work than comparable machines with the same (or even more) HP.

PS, if you'll do any work with stone, and for the stumping- its definitely worth getting a thumb! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-07-15          164095

Welcome Earthsurfing!

BTW, he may not reply seeing as the post is over 5 years old. Buuuut who knows LOL ....

View my Photos
Earthsurfing

2009-07-15          164097

Ahh... thanks. I do hope he's made his mind up by now! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-07-16          164102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthsurfing | view 164097
Ahh...thanks.I do hope he's made his mind up by now!

I will agree with you but then who knows. :)

If you look at the left side of the post it gives the date it was posted.

I also welcome you to TP. Like the thought you have in your comments.

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-07-16          164108

I'll mention my research on the Kioti line for current readers who are interested in this issue. The entire extensive line has advances over the competition (sub-frame, modern styling and step-through design, hyd fluid cooler, PS, choice of transmission, especially versatile hitch, and more), as well as dedicated FELs and hoes, all for a remarkably low price. But my impression is that while most of them work fine, a few show troublesome problems for a new unit.

The South Koreans are taking lessons from the Japanese in car quality. As soon as this spreads to their tractors, I think the Kioti will take a lot of business. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login