Go Bottom Go Bottom

50 hr maintenance

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-17          80150

I'm almost at the 50 hr maintenance mark (42 hours)and I sent my wife to the dealer to pick up the supplies for the 50 hr. service. They sold her the engine oil & filter and the outside hydraulic filter. They told her that I didn't need to change the hydro oil and the filter inside just needed to be blown out. I'm a little hesitant about these directions especially since she didn't get it in writing. I was always taught not to blow filters out because you only dislodge debris that was stuck in it allowing it to possibly get to where the filter was preventing it from going. What is your take on it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

50 hr maintenance

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-17          80152

I would do whatever your book tells you do do. If it says to change to hydro oil at 50 hours and you don't, is it worth the worry for a few bucks? If it's the same as my 3130 you'll be good to go for hundreds of hours.
Dave ....

50 hr maintenance

View my Photos
blizzard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-17          80159

Best to follow the book. When I did my 50hr service the HST fluid and filters 'looked perfect' However, there is debris generated in the breaking in period, and I followed the book.
For my L3130HST both filters need to be changed at 50, 200, 400, 600, 800... hrs and the HST fluid at 50, 400, 800... hrs.
The Kubota SuperUDT is a little pricey, but you have a considerable investment in the tractor, no sense in abusing it so early in its life. Save your receipts for the parts and fluids, in case there is ever a warrantee problem.
First maintenance can be a little time-consuming, but you'll know your tractor better!
Good Luck,
bliz ....

50 hr maintenance

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-03-17          80161

I would change the oil. Make sure you pull both drain plugs and the screen before the filter. Plus both filter. The one on the left and one on the right side of your B7500. Make sure you put the tall grey filter one on the right side. (One is slightly shorter than the other.) The blue filter is shorter and should go on the left side. DON"T OVER TIGHTEN THE FILTERS OR RISK STRIPING THE ALUMIUM THREADS. It should take a little less than 3 gallons of oil. I spend $55 just to do that. Another $22 for the engine. ....

50 hr maintenance

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-03-17          80164

Yikes! My L3130HST takes around 11+ gallons for the transmission, another 6+ quarts for the front axle. I thought generally the reservoir size should be at least equal to the pump output per minute.
bliz ....

50 hr maintenance

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-17          80181

I think the "filter" they want you to blow out is really a suction screen. It is common to most HST's.

Be careful you don't lose the O-ring when you pull the screen out.

I too, would follow the OM recommendations. ....

50 hr maintenance

View my Photos
beagle

2004-03-17          80190

blizzard, check your hydraulic specs again. Add together the power steering, hydraulics, and add a reserve for the hydrostat regen loop(If hydro) and lubrication, and I would bet you are you close to 11 gpm for the total output. An 11 gallon reservoir seams about right. ....

50 hr maintenance

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-03-17          80200

Beagle,
You are right on the money with your specs, 8.3 GPM for the hydraulics and 4.9 for the steering pump. But what I didn't make clear was that ItsGotToBeGreen mentions 3 gallons capacity referring to (I thought) KubotaGuy's B7800HST. It has to have more hydraulic capacity than that! Specs show 9.5 GPM for the B7800HST. Yikes!
Have a good one,
bliz ....

50 hr maintenance

View my Photos
beagle

2004-03-17          80211

You make a good point. I only have 20hrs on my 7800HST so hadn't check the capacities. It shows the transmission case capacity in the manual as 3.83 gals., and a total hydraulic output of capacity of 9.5 gals/min (steering and 3P). I had always gone with the rule of thumb that reservoir capacity should be at least total output capacity to avoid overheating the fluid. Is the cooling system efficient enough to turn over the oil 3 times a minute? I would suppose that in most applications; FEL, 3-point, etc, I wouldn't be turning the fluid over that often. Maybe someone could add some theory behind this.

You've got a bunch of fluid in that machine! Probably good until you need to buy it. ....

50 hr maintenance

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-18          80254

I not sure that I quite got the question right, but usage doesn't change the volume pumped much in open centered systems (not including HST's). It's true that flow does decrease as working pressure increases but most pumps have pretty good volumetric efficiencies.

It's a little hard to estimate heat dissipation through tractor cases that also contain TX parts, and the presence of an oil cooler also would change things. I seem to recall a rule of thumb of more like 2 times reservoir capacity to flow but that may be for pto pumps doing heavy work like driving hoes or motors. There was a discussion awhile back about whether operating hydraulics at low engine rpm's might over-heat the oil. ....

50 hr maintenance

View my Photos
beagle

2004-03-18          80303

Thanks Tom, good point on the open center system. I would suppose that the circulation of the fluid at low pressure would help dissipate any heat. If they didn't know what they were doing, history would have taught them something by now. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login