Go Bottom Go Bottom

New to Tractors Need some tips

View my Photos
orangeblood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-16          77042

I'll try to keep this short...Wife has a family business run by her mother in Lufkin, TX. and is opening a Kubota dealership in 60 days and she wants us to come and help her with it. She now has 3 dealerships, but this is the first Kubota one, the others are mainly Kioti. I know nothing of the tractor business but I gotta learn quick. If anyone can post something or email me with tips on how to sell these fine machines I would surely appreciate it. I've heard that the name sells itself, but what did your salesperson say that really swayed you? Thanks for any replies.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-16          77046

Resale value,Trouble free reputation. Parts and sevice
availability(many dealers).
You get what you pay for!
Good luck ! If you treat people the way you would want to be
treated you can't fail.

View my Photos
44trxfun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-16          77047

Orangeblood, in my opinion, by your own admission you are in no position to be in the tractor business. I say this from the perspective of a potential customer. I want to do business with someone who has experience and knows what they are talking about, not someone who has been coached on what to say. Same goes for any professional I do business with--doctor, veterinarian, mechanic, etc. I'm not saying you couldn't learn a lot over time, just that customers expect (justifiably so) to deal with a professional. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-16          77048

Why not hire someone? ....

View my Photos
orangeblood

2004-02-16          77050

Agreed, it's gonna take some time. I won't be asked to run the store for some time, just thought I'd do some research. Just want to see if anyone that has a Kubota can tell me what they like best about it so I can bring some knowledge into it. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2004-02-16          77054

Search for Kubota and read the post. You might also look through the other board.
I would also get the tractor information for all the tractors, Kubota and competitors and then read up on them.
Peters ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-16          77055

Just treat your customers like they have a brain in their heads and return their phone calls. The rest will come naturally. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-16          77059

Since a big part of sales is overcoming objections you might search to find why people who looked at Kubota's may have purchased another brand instead. ....

View my Photos
agentorange

2004-02-17          77106

orangeblood - you may want to view the recent "orange vs green" post. Typical opinions on both sides of issue. I think there are some very good points for both. The resale value of an orange or green tractor is amazing. A good many years ago (not sure when the transition took place) it was "can't afford a John Deere so bought a Kubota". That no longer exists. One of my points of buying was to make sure that my wife was comforatble with the machine as well(within reason of course). What's it being used for? Who'll be on it? Maneuverability/access constraints?

Kubota "owns" the sub and compact market, it's amazing. Of course this kind of statement will spark plenty of opinions as well. Yanmar makes diesel engines for JD of course. It is a very well respected and rock-solid powerplant. My friend recently bought a Kubota, bigger size "B" tractor. Said he did exhaustive research. He thought it odd that the same company makes engines for both the orange and green guys. This is not true. Not sure how he came up with this info. Kubota makes Kubota engines. They also have very good track records. Both engines are used in tractors and various other products.

DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! If you can think about it, look it up, find out why, get to the bottom of everything. And don't forget that you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Free popcorn, hot dogs, and the "Swedish Bikini Team" would be good ideas too.

good luck, stay focused

-ao ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-02-17          77107

Know your product. Know who your competition is. Know your competition's product. Know your product's advantages, and know the advantages of the competetion's product. Employ good salemanship, and so long as Kubota continues to build a good tractor you should do well.

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-02-17          77110

Most people looking to drop $15,000 or $20,000 on a machine will have done their research. I for one would not rely on what the dealer said alone. With that said, it would be most important for you to keep your word and treat your customers with respect. If the customer has a problem, do not run them around, fix the problem. Listen to your customer's needs and respond to them. I researched my machines (new what machine I was looking for) before purchasing and the dealer that took the time to talk to me and called me back is the one I went with. ....

View my Photos
orangeblood

2004-02-17          77119

Thanks for all the great advice, I'll keep lurking on this board and keep reading as much as I can. Maybe in a year or so, I can make a good tractor salesman. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2004-02-17          77122

I grew up on a farm. I had an aptitude for the equipment and eventually worked at and eventually ran a farm equipment business for seven years.

I think that you will find that most of what you will need to learn is about business and working with people. Others here have said essentially the same thing. Your customers will be varied from farmers to landowners to landscapers to industrial plants. You cannot be an expert on all the applications, so learn what you can and especially, know your product.

You will not be able to please everyone every time. ....

View my Photos
ronbo3

2004-02-21          77514

When I was trying to decide which tractor to buy, I asked every dealer I visited (JD,MF,NH,Mahindra,Kubota) the same question--"Why should I buy your tractor?" The Kubota salesman told me that Kubota is the only brand that makes ALL its own parts. MF,JD,NH parts are made all over the world and assembled elsewhere. Kubota controls design and manufacture of all parts from start to finish. I was convinced, and bought Kubota. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-21          77516

Ronbo3, I certainly understand the appeal of your logic and nobody can argue with your decision.

This is not a criticism of Kubota, since obviously they are very successful and build very fine tractors, but when a manufacturer makes most of their own components it doesn't necessarily follow that all of their components are the best available. The best high performance automobiles and heavy duty trucks, for example, are built with components from different manufacturers around the world. No one company has the corner on good ideas, engineering, and manufacturing. ....

View my Photos
ronbo3

2004-02-22          77574

True, some components may not be the absolute best available. My point was one of quality control--having 1 manufacturer should make for closer tolerances and a better fit, with the result of longer service and fewer repairs. I can't see having some parts made in Mexico, some in India, and some made who-knows-where being an advantage over 1 maker who controls the entire manufacturing process. That's what I am hoping for, anyway!! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-02-23          77663

You are right about the quality control that gets lost between the different manufacturing processes from one manufacturer to another as I have heard about the problem even at the dealer level. Kubota just builds to a different drummer much like some other high end manufacturers that are in different areas such as cars and trucks or even stereo and TV. It doesn't mean that everyone will buy it or even like the product. Sometimes it's the dollar that might need to be spent or that they have to drive by another dealer to get ot that make or the Billboard size ads and radio announcer's pay needs to be justified. They do not make all components but the ones they do use seem right for them for longevity and durability while functioning. People will not go back to a dealer to many times if they feel they are being mistreated or disrespected no matter what they sell or have to offer. Treat people the way you want to be treated and it should make your life go easily! There will always be people out there to take advantage of it but you will sleep well with your choices. ....

View my Photos
TheWDCTexan

2004-02-23          77734

I am fairly new as a tractor owner. I did a great deal of research and narried the choices to green, orange, and blue. Then I started visiting the dealers and trying the tractors and tools I needed. Even tho I could get a better price on the Internet, I wanted to use a local dealer who would be there when I needed help. I chose orange because the dealer was willing to explain the various goods and bads of each color. And did a good job at it in words that meant something to a future tractor user. And it felt/rode better to me and the wife than the blue. And I was treated better than at the green.

People buy from people. I would rather someone tellme they do not know than to try and snow me or 'sell me' the line. I paid more but I am very sure it has already been worth it. And will continue to be. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login