Go Bottom Go Bottom

One grease fitting on BX 2200

View my Photos
rossco
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-19          74478

I recently bought a low hour used BX 2200 and the tractor seems well built for it's size. I'm just really surprised it only has one grease fitting and that is on the hydro pedal. My previous B 8200 had them all over the tractor. Any idea why they don't equip this model with these simple fittings for longevity? I guess I'm just a preventative maintenance freek, but it just makes me feel better.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-19          74481

I'm with you. I recently puschased a B7800 and it only has three fittings, two on the three point and one on the hydro pedal. I had a Simplicity garden tractor before this and it must have had a dozen fittings. You get a feeling of security by squirting a little greese in those things now and again. Maybe someone can explain why they aren't on the CUTs. ....

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-19          74485

I did not know this, very interesting though. Grease zerks are pretty cheap. ....

View my Photos
Sara_s_Dad

2004-01-19          74489

Hmmm...the BX22 comes with 10 grease zerks on the FEL alone. The backhoe zerks are oriented so that you can access all the fittings from the same side. That tells me someone was thinking when they designed the BX22. Too bad about the BX2200...curious. ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2004-01-19          74490

My MF GC2300 has only one also (on the tractor itself). Implements have 2-4 if I recall correctly. My MF dealer advised against overgreasing. He said a lot of folks tend to get a little carried away with it and end up overdoing it. Now that I think of it, I don't know that he gave me a lot of details, but I do remember him cautioning against it. Seems like he said you can actually overpack the greased component and retain dirt and moisture... ....

View my Photos
JParker

2004-01-19          74491

I also have a B7800.

They are all over the FEL.

But on the rest of the tractor you may be right, I'll check the manual tonight.

I wonder how the Axles are lubricated? Is it possible the hydraulics somehow lube them?

But what about the steering mechanism and other pedals?

Art? ....

View my Photos
rossco

2004-01-19          74498

The tractor does not have a FEL on it at this point, but am not surprised that it does have grease fittings on it. You would think that the 2200 itself would, at least have some fittings on the pedal shafts or some of the linkages. Maybe by design, it doesn't require them. I would assume maybe the front axles are lubricated by the oil in the front axle housing. I bet that Art can shine some light on this one.

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2004-01-19          74501

My 790 has tons at least 8 off hand on the tracor itself and the fel has one on every fulcrum point. Sounds like a rainy day hobby.
Disassemble parts and use a drill press to drill and tap for grease fittings!!!!!
yeah anything with seals has to be done with caution but linkages and pivot points can never get enough, especially a pivot point that DOES'NT have seals !!!! The old grease gets dirty and acts as a "dust boot" that helps keep water out.
Time to buy a service manual. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-01-19          74502

I should have been more specific when I said my 7800 only had three fittings. The FEL has them all at every pivot, the tractor itself only has three. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-19          74506

I would have to look or ask, something about grease! The hydro petal I know of, I would think on the front axle there would be one. I know the attachments have an ample amount at pivot points as well as for bearings. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-01-19          74511

I think Art is right.

I recall two grease fittings on the basic tractor, though I never could get the hydro pedal pivot to take any grease.

The steering linkage has the same sealed joints most modern automobiles have. ....

View my Photos
rossco

2004-01-20          74525

I looked at the manual last night and, as far as I can tell, it states there are only three items on the tractor itself that need to be greased. 1)Hydro pedal 2)the two battery terminals.

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-20          74530

I don't have any of the 2200 manuals left but for the 2230 I do see there is only the one on the hydro petal. That pretty much makes it fool proof from someone that doesn't maintain there tractor to much. I like it! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-01-20          74539

No grease fitting on the front axle pivot? I might be confusing it with the 4100. ....

View my Photos
rossco

2004-02-11          76628

Just wondering if anyone ever got an explanation why there are not more grease fittings on the BX. It is puzzling why you would not be able to lubricate additional wear points on the tractor, such as the front axle. Are these points sealed or what?

View my Photos
Art White

2004-02-11          76665

The points are sealed. Look a new car or truck and look for grease fittings! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login