Go Bottom Go Bottom

Additional lights

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-15          74067

I was using my B-7800 the other night and with the FEL on, the headlights are next to useless. I have seen different set-ups of additional lighting on some of the pics listed here, but I was curious if there was a factory set-up I could get. I don't want to do anything that would void my warranty. I am interested in adding a couple of forward facing lights and a rear facing light. I guess the only place they could be mounted would be the ROPS.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Additional lights

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-15          74073

Kubotaguy I realize this and made a set of light for my B7500. The first 2 pic aren't wired. But next 3 show it is. I used 1/4" plate, welded it together and painted it. The enire set up is armored. Even the switches, the electrical box is made from 1/8". It cost about $20 for the steel, $17 per light, switchs about $3 each, Wire and connectors about $5. So about a $100. I needed on the roll bar so i can see over the blower. I already want to make another one for next year, with more improvement. Better yet just build a cab.
On the back of your tractor on the right hand side, there are a black and red wire you can connect to. The lights are 35 watts, 2amp, 12volt. Don't go over 10 amps on your lights. Its really bright. My dealer said i didn't void my warrenty. Better check with Art. Send an email and i send more photos. Can't wait to use it, only 1" today. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-01-15          74083

Did you make the brackets going around the ROPS or is it just all thread bent? I am hoping that Kubota has a kit that I can buy. I can make something like that but I prefer to buy the bracket and lights all together. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-15          74106

I'm bad because I drilled and tapped into my ROPS, but maybe you can get some ideas from my setup. Brackets are off a New Holland, mounted a control box or something. Check the pics on my website below. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Additional lights

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-01-15          74115

Kubota guy it just took U bolts for a trailer axel. They were 3" wide by 5" long (each leg) I cut them down to 2.5" (I wanted the top smooth as possible. Some of my family aren't to bright so i wanted to do as little damage as possible when somebody drives it into the garage again with the rops up.) The U bolts basically clamp the light box to the tractor. There are two 3/4" bar stock on top of the box to allow the box to clear the bends in the roll bar. The only kit you can buy is a rear facing light that mounts on the right rear fender for about $23. I sell you this one for $300 after i build another one.

AVR8 do you have a death wish. Rule number one, do not do anything to a set of ROPS. My father is a safety nut, that why mine do not endanger the structure integrity of the ROPS. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-01-16          74133

Green, nice job on the lights. They look well protected in a position that can take alot of abuse from tree branches.

Don't you think it's time to change your name to itsgottobeORANGE? :-) ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-01-16          74151

shortmagnum i will change it to green+orangeinharmony when my subcribiton needs to be renewed. (I still have one john deere 214. I sold the follow JD 110,312,955. I grew up in IL, which is deere country. I owned both and can say there are some differents. Kubota built better, but loader control pain, hydro petals also JD more creature comfort, but doesn't built the entire tractor themselfs, hydro control easyer. ) I am 50:50 split at the moment.

I am only 18 and you know how teens drive. I had the same idea. I rip the tree branch off, not the lights. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-16          74155

Great job on the lights Green! Nice pics as well. Do the lights have a separate switch to individually control them? It looks like it from the pics. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-01-16          74188

I think I'll take a pass on purchasing your lights. I didn't say I couldn't make the setup but rather I preferred to purchase something that was approved by Kubota. Besides after you told me it cost a $100 to make and then you are going to sell it used for $300. Hmmm I guess you haven't taken any marketing classes. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-16          74190

Green, justa small observation here, but one day it may save your neck...

That SMV (Slow Moving Vehicle) sign on the back of your tractor should be mounted as afar to the LEFT side of the machine as is practical. When you operate that machine on a public road you must be on the far right of the road, so the reflector should be marking the nearest point of the machine to traffic.

That way in poor visibility conditions the first thing visible is the part of the machine which the oncoming traffic would hit first.

I point this out because a local farmer near me was struck and nearly killed the week before Christmas while roading his tractor home from a days work at another property. He will live, but it will be tough farming with only one arm, a mashed up leg and a steel rod in his back......

Best of luck. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-01-16          74196

Chief yes. the left is for the back and the right is for the front. So i don't blind drivers behind me, without lossing my front lights.

Kubotaguy I really don't want to sell it right now. But if you really wanted it i would sell it for $300. I look at the receipts the total came to $112.73, plus labor, gas to get supplies, welding wire and gas(i have a Mig welder), etc. It was the prototype. So lets just say $115 in supplies to be easy. So it took twice as long to built so you charge twice the labor. Prototype amost 5 hours to build and about 2.2 hours for the rest. My shop rate is $50 an hour so i would built them for (2.2 hours * $50 per hour + $115 in supplies) = $225 each. By the way i have taken marketing classes.

Murf the SMV sign was mounted on the right side of the tractor when i got it, so i just moved it futher up so you could see it over the snow blower. I go change it to make you happy. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-16          74198

Don't change it to make me happy, change it to keep you HEALTHY....... ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-01-16          74200

For $300 I can go buy the bigger alternator and get some really nice lights. Like I said before, it is not a matter of making something but a matter of Kubota giving its blessing. In case something would happen down the road, I don't want to get involved in a warranty battle. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-16          74201

Green those sure do look like the John Deere light sets? ;o) Might cause a corrosion problem on that that Kubota tractor. ;o) Seriously, if you post the specs. on your light frame I can ask my friend who made up my 3 pt. trailer tow hitch (see pic # 15,16,& 17) and see if he would be interested in making some up for the board members. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-01-16          74208

I just got an e-mail back from carverequipment and they said that Kubota does not have a light set for the 7800, but I could buy a worklight setup for the B21 or L35 and modify it to work on the 7800. The kit is $115.
I also received an e-mail response from tractorsmart:
Kubota did not make provisions in the B7800 tractor wiring to add additional lights.
I would not splice into the wires leading to the rear lights to add any extra light because the gauge wire used is just enough for the present light only.
If you are going to add additional lights you need to start from the battery and run a wire, fuse and switch from that point.
The output of your alternator is 14.5 amps. With the lights you have now and other electrical requirements you have about 100 watts available for extra lights.
Good high powered lights are usually in the 50 watt plus range.
You can purchase a high output alternator kit for $165.00 that would boost your output to 40 amps and leave you with 400 extra watts to spare for running extra lights.
I think I will go with option #2.

Additional lights

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-01-16          74212

murf see picture 10 i fixed it for my health and your sanity

Chief tell you friend i send him specs if i get 20% royalties on each one he builds.

kubota guy see picture 11 12 i think. The little loop was attachet to the large black wire. The loop goes around the bolt of the light. The red wire plugs into the wire coming of the light so my dealer says. They told me to connect right to it. So i cut off the ends and wired it up from there. Its a direct link to the fuse box. Its live all the time. Which is another reason why i put switches on it. on a B7500 there are 4 fuses 1-(10A)headlights/dase, 2-(15A)worklights, 3-(10A)turnsignals, 4-circuit check slow blow fuse. I don't know about the B7800. you have to look hard for the wires they were taped to black tubing. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-01-16          74218

Greenguy: I build ROPS units for Case-New Holland for a living (among other components). I can assure you that the four 1/4-20 threaded holes on each side do not impact the integrity of the ROPS on my tractor (or the other two .201" holes for the wiring).

Kubota should make AUX. light mounting plates on all tractors that take a snowblower or a FEL. The OEM headlights are for show only and have absolutely no usable function (only 1156 taillight bulbs anyway!). They put trunsignals and hazard flashers on, so why not at least mounts for real work lights! BTW mine are only 35 watts and provide plenty of light for night use. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-16          74219

That's OK Green, it was just a thought to offer a low cost mod for member's tractors. Jim does stuff like that for me as a favor and he does not make much if any money on it. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-01-16          74225

If anybody wants one, which will be better that the one shown. I will make you up one asap for $225 and shipping. I have to pay for my new welder that is coming somehow. (Miller 210 w/3035 spoolmate gun about $2000 with bottles) So if anybody want their made from alumium. I hate to say it but nothings free and there is always a profit to be made. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-01-16          74243

Mr. Green: I hope my last post didn't sound snappy. Not ment to be. I've been involved with alot of the engineering on these type of components and am familiar with their allowable tollerances. A couple of small holes are negligible.

Av8r :) ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-01-16          74245

AV8R no offsensive taken. Question if your work for case/NH why do you own a kubota? The only reason why i didn't modifiy my rops is my back yard is about 20% grade. So some day which i hope never comes it going to get rolled. So i have a strick Rops use policy with my other family members. Also about every engineer friend of mind and the dealership told me not to drill into the ROP at any cost. I am in college for mechanical and fire protection engineering. So i have a large pool of advise at my despoal. Also have a very good friend who does patent research and a 2nd cousin who is a patent lawyer. So i am in the middle of trying to get a patent for another device. Which i all ready have a waiting list of people who want one. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-01-17          74329

I bought the Kubota for a number of reasons not the least of which being: the local C-NH dealer was neither helpful or interested in my business. So...

Like its been said here before, dealership personnel make a big differance, right Art?

As far as modifying the ROPS, I will gladly take the responsibility and become "my own warranty station" on that topic, meaning if it fails, I will blame only myself. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-01-24          74970

Finally got to use my snowblower and lights. I woke the neigheors at 12:15 am to do the driveway and private street. I had everything lite up. I Post some new picture soon. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-24          74974

As every thing gets more technical I wonder if a modification that would jepardize a OSHA certification would justify an Insureance payout? The modifications may not have made a difference for the situation but why chance it? ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
dedeye

2004-02-01          75636

I don't have an engineering degree and have never played an engineer on t.v. but it would seem to me that you are taking a bigger risk ridding around in the dark than drilling a couple of holes in the rops. I know on my tractor the rops has holes in it from the factory, you know the ones that the bolts go thru that mount it to the tractor. It is my belief that the recomendation to not drill holes in the rops has more to do with product liability than saftey. As with most products manufactured today it's rating is only a percentage of it's actuall duribility. For example my buddy has a b2200 with the same rops as my 2400. either his is overbuilt or Mine is under built.
I had to throw in my 2 cents worth. After my repairs it's all I had left...
I am designing a light bracket that attatches to the rops with no holes at all. When done I will post pictures and sign autographs! ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-02-01          75673

dedeye my light does not require any holes to be drilled in to the rops. The 4 U bolts clamp it to the rops. The wires are held on the the rops by zip ties. So i been there, done that. I am already signing autographs. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
dedeye

2004-02-01          75684

I will probably just use zip ties to hold the light on! :)
Dan ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
plaindave

2004-02-06          76204

I'm trying to put lights on also - it's tough trying to move snow this winter in the pre-dawn hours. My 7800 has holes already drilled right near the top in the lower half of the folding ROPS, right on the front. That would put the lights below eye level when seated, any idea if that would be a problem with the location and possible glare? If you used those holes you could attach the lights with a simple L bracket and a nut and bolt.

With the standard alternator how much light can you put on with out taxing the battery? I was looking at a couple 50W lights in the Northern Tool catalog. Figured that would be about 8 amps load. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
TomG

2004-02-07          76225

Dave: That's about right for the lighting load. It should be no problem for most alternators but the alternator rating is likely in your manual. It might extend recharge times slightly but it's good to keep a 'smart' trickle charger on the battery in cold climates anyway. Your tractor may well have an aux outlet that would carry the load. Lights with their own switches so they can be turned off independent of the head lights are good. ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-02-07          76296

plaindave,
Here is the e-mail I received from tractorsmart on your options:
I also received an e-mail response from tractorsmart:
Kubota did not make provisions in the B7800 tractor wiring to add additional lights.
I would not splice into the wires leading to the rear lights to add any extra light because the gauge wire used is just enough for the present light only.
If you are going to add additional lights you need to start from the battery and run a wire, fuse and switch from that point.
The output of your alternator is 14.5 amps. With the lights you have now and other electrical requirements you have about 100 watts available for extra lights.
Good high powered lights are usually in the 50 watt plus range.
You can purchase a high output alternator kit for $165.00 that would boost your output to 40 amps and leave you with 400 extra watts to spare for running extra lights.
I think I will go with option #2 ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-02-07          76302

The high-output unit seems the best solution. With 400W available you will have great night visibility. When I added extra lights, I did finally put a relay in the circuit after the fuse. This allowed a more direct run of heavy wire to the lights. Also the aftermarket toggle switches I am was using didn't seem to last (165W load). There's more info if you want, do a search with 'message contains' for :
30A automotive relay close
and you should find the discussion.
good luck, bliz ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-07          76304

Av8r
I work for CNH also, have been a tool and die maker for 21 years, you are right, the new holes wont do a thing to its integrity. Although I would not put too many in, after a few years if it starts rusting inside, if a guy was to put in a few to many holes I would not want to be riding in it and hope they hold up. I got a question for you on the rops. I built my garage before I had any idea I was buying a TC 40. The rops are 96" and of coarse I was cheap on the garage doors and put in standard height(even after many arguements with my buddy's) LOL. I know I am going to forget about the rops someday and leave the folding option up. Is the a height on the rops set because of the distance from the front of the frame to the top of the rops having the angle set for enough room to survive a crash or is there some other tech. in the design? I suppose I should just change out the garage door before too many trips in and out, I KNOW it will make a bigger mess thanI really want not to mention the crow feathers in the throat.
Thanks, I dont suppose you get a real good deal on the folding rops? I am purchasing my tractor sometime in march? LOL ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-02-11          76670

Brokenarrow: We don't work on the Folding ROPS's so no help there, sorry. I imagine that your idea of a line from the front of the tractor to the top of the ROPS is close to their design ideas. (Art?) ....

Additional lights

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-02-12          76748

Just to let everyone know. The first batch of the lights are going to be built very shortly. They are slightly different than the protype(see my pics). I am selling them for $225(subject to change) plus shipping. It will fit the b1700, b2100, b7300, b7400, b7500, b7800, b7410, b7510, b7610, b7810, b2400, and b2410. I haven't built any for the bx or L series yet so the price might be higher for the bx or L series. Send me an email if you want one built. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login