Go Bottom Go Bottom

D902-E-BX versus D905-E-BX

View my Photos
murphyg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-09          73559

I noticed that the new BX2230 comes with a "new" 22HP Engine called a D902-E-BX. Since the BX 23 comes with the D905-E-BX and they seem to have the same specifications as the "new" engine, I wonder what the differences are between the two? I noticed that the new RTV uses the 902 with 21.6 HP. My guess is the HP is rated at different RPM'S?? Does anyone why the change and the advantages of the 902 over the 905? Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-09          73576

I really don't know as I don't ever remember it being discussed but my hunch is it's for emissions. I've seen what I thought were some nice engines be canceled because of the newer regulations. ....

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-01-10          73597

Thanks Art, it would not surprise me if it was due to emissions. The displacement is exactly the same between the two engines. ....

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-01-20          74518

I have been able to find out that there is a fair amount of difference between the two engines. It looks like according to the specs the 905 is about 50 lbs heavier and can turn above 3200 RPM's which the 902 cannot. In the Kubota web site on Engines they seem to be really selling how much better the 902 is versus the 905. From the torque and HP charts I saw it seems like the 905 is a better engine except for the fact that it 50 lbs heavier than the 902. Since the BX23 uses the 905 and the BX2230 uses the 902, it seems like Kubota is saving money on the 902.
http://www.engine.kubota.ne.jp/english/index.html

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-20          74531

They very well could be saving money or just finding ways for the price not to go up which is understandable as they to have be cautious to maintain there leads in the market place as there are a couple of new comers out there in the sub-compact market. The 2230 had no increase in price over there older brother so I was impressed. ....

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-01-20          74538

Yes I would agree. It is expensive to make product in Japan these days. The Quality seems to good however. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-20          74547

The quality can never be to good. It can be better then the other guys but too good? I don't think so otherwise I'll quite selling the other brands and won't need to come to work on mondays! ....

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-01-20          74548

It is interesting to read the Kubota engine web site. They are almost saying they don't believe their quality is good enough. Since they have made 20 million engines they must know something about making diesels. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-20          74570

All to often today I see companies boosting first ever, lifting more, doing more when it just mean they are lifting more then they were on the old model offering and it is for the first time THEY ever had it. Kubota is a very conservative company and don't state they have the strongest of anything! They just build good products that give the owners the best value they can purchase. They don't have to answer like american companies do to the stock holders. ....

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-01-20          74593

I had an interesting experience today. I sent this original question to Kubota. About 10 minutes after I sent the message the B and BX product manager called me.
I talked with him for about 45 minutes. He said the 902 is a smoother engine and it is equal to the performance of the 905. He said that they actually measure HP in the machine not free standing on a test stand. Also the spec's on the Kubota Engine site are not an accurate reflection of the actual engine in the machine. Kubota tractor actually buys special versions of the engines from Kubota engine. The 902 will cover them for emissions for the future. Also the BX 23 will move to the 902 about in September 2004. Now that is what I call personal service. I never got a call from a JD product manager when I asked a question. I actually have never been called by anyone from JD. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-01-20          74594

It's great that he called you, but it doesn't sound right to me that they get special versions of engines that have an identical part number. Did you ask him exactly what differences there are? Maybe they just take the cream of the crop based on factory engine testing but the specs are correct on the web site. ....

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-01-20          74597

I am not sure how they are special. If you look at the web site the 902 has about 21HP at 3200 RPM's, the 905 is about 22HP at 3200 RPM's. I basically asked how could these engines be the same? Maybe thats why I got the call.
He just claimed they are the same specs in the tractor. I have his phone number and extension and I can call him back at anytime. Based on what I could see from the Kubota Engine web site, I would much prefer to have the 905. More torque and HP. I am all for low emissions, but I would rather have more HP and torque. Thoughts? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-21          74664

It might also be that there web site isn't up to the products being currently offered. Kubota is a leader in techniolgy not the mechandising in this industry. ....

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-01-21          74670

I was told by the Product Manager that Kubota plans to have a completely new web site up around the first of Feb.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login